• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Explain how you can blame the previous owner here??? To just say the PO did this and pawned it off on you is crap! You are the current owner and I am assuming for a while, so it is now your problem. Whos to say those bolts did not come out during your ownership?? Did you look that thing over really well before buying it.... dought it. For the most part nobody can know everything about the Jeep they are selling and those bolts are in a place that is seldom checked. How often do you crawl under your heep and inspect EVERY nut and bolt?? My guess is never...... To just say you would lay hands on someone because the beat up old jeep you bought from them had a problem in a place that is seldom inspected is STUPID and could land you in jail or in a six foot hole!

Those bolts only come loose if they were not properly torqued or the surfaces were not properly cleaned before being torqued. Sorry. The fault lies with whoever had the transmission out last.

Explain how you can blame the previous owner here??? To just say the PO did this and pawned it off on you is crap! You are the current owner and I am assuming for a while, so it is now your problem. Whos to say those bolts did not come out during your ownership?? Did you look that thing over really well before buying it.... dought it. For the most part nobody can know everything about the Jeep they are selling and those bolts are in a place that is seldom checked. How often do you crawl under your heep and inspect EVERY nut and bolt?? My guess is never...... To just say you would lay hands on someone because the beat up old jeep you bought from them had a problem in a place that is seldom inspected is STUPID and could land you in jail or in a six foot hole!

blah blah blah Ira, the PO put a motor in this thing. its his fault. but given the amount of ****ed up this thing was, if it had been mine, it would have been gone over top to bottom after seeing a fraction of the things wrong ive seen in it.

opinions on bushing replacement on a 6.5in long arm lift. what brand bushings should i
use?

the kind you have to pay for at the time you commit to buying so a pile of extra stuff doesn't end up at your buddies house taking up space waiting for a buyer who isn't coming

I'm annoyed at you people today !!!1

Those bolts only come loose if they were not properly torqued or the surfaces were not properly cleaned before being torqued. Sorry. The fault lies with whoever had the transmission out last.

I half agree here. The fault lies with the current owner for not looking over that clearly beat to crap pile! So who had the transmission out last??? May not have been the PO. People are quick to point a finger but seldom accept the fact that they may have ****ed up as well!

blah blah blah Ira, the PO put a motor in this thing. its his fault. but given the amount of ****ed up this thing was, if it had been mine, it would have been gone over top to bottom after seeing a fraction of the things wrong ive seen in it.

the kind you have to pay for at the time you commit to buying so a pile of extra stuff doesn't end up at your buddies house taking up space waiting for a buyer who isn't coming

I'm annoyed at you people today !!!1

Ok, the PO put the motor in. That is just now coming to light here. And that changes what as far as the current owner buying the piece of crap without looking it over well....... Something that obviously jacked up would not have found its way to my driveway! Not that I would own let alone sell a piece of shit, but I pitty the fool that would show up and TRY to put hands on me just because of his own foolish ignorance!

Take a chill pill and an anti-exclamation-point pill as well :spin1: no one is accusing you of anything and you're going to bat for a half assed mechanic who hacked up and badly repaired an XJ for... "Reasons" I guess? I don't know exactly why.

You have no concept of the situation you're commenting about. This rig was a complete POS that was thrown together. Anyone that looked at (in person) could tell you that. Have you followed my trials and tribulations with it from the beginning? I doubt it.

I've owned this Jeep for a year and put a total of 300 miles on it. It's never even been off road because of the shotty workmanship kept it on jackstands in my garage for the entire year of 2013. There is absolutely no ****ing way that the remainder of those bolts fell out during my ownership.

When someone sells you something and they claim that "it runs great" and "never had a problem with it" and it turns out to be a complete lemon, then it speaks volumes about their lack of integrity. To somehow twist it and say that I'm at fault for not going over the entire innards with a fine tooth comb, basically negates every lawsuit for faulty work...EVER......

And considering the shit work that this guy did on every other part of this Jeep, it's not a far stretch of the imagination that he would deliberately leave out the bolts because he didn't have the correct tools or knowledge on how to put it back together correctly. And to lie to my face about it....That's where the ass kicking begins.

You have no concept of the situation you're commenting about. This rig was a complete POS that was thrown together. Anyone that looked at (in person) could tell you that. Have you followed my trials and tribulations with it from the beginning? I doubt it.

I've owned this Jeep for a year and put a total of 300 miles on it. It's never even been off road because of the shotty workmanship kept it on jackstands in my garage for the entire year of 2013. There is absolutely no ****ing way that the remainder of those bolts fell out during my ownership.

When someone sells you something and they claim that "it runs great" and "never had a problem with it" and it turns out to be a complete lemon, then it speaks volumes about their lack of integrity. To somehow twist it and say that I'm at fault for not going over the entire innards with a fine tooth comb, basically negates every lawsuit for faulty work...EVER......

And considering the shit work that this guy did on every other part of this Jeep, it's not a far stretch of the imagination that he would deliberately leave out the bolts because he didn't have the correct tools or knowledge on how to put it back together correctly. And to lie to my face about it....That's where the ass kicking begins.

I do understand your frustration and no I do not fully understand your situation with this Jeep BUT to just say you would lay hands on someone because you bought something that as you put it is CLEARLY a piece of crap....... Your fault! To say that there is no way that those bolts did not fall out on your watch is like saying that there is no way the earth could be impacted by an astroid.... anything is possible. The likelyhood of them falling out when you owed it is slim but not impossible. Many of us here have bought something that was not as described and was a little mad about it ...... it happens. All I am saying is that YOU bought it and therefore it is YOUR fault for doing so. Accept the fact that you did not do your homework before handing in the assignment........

I do understand your frustration and no I do not fully understand your situation with this Jeep BUT to just say you would lay hands on someone because you bought something that as you put it is CLEARLY a piece of crap....... Your fault! To say that there is no way that those bolts did not fall out on your watch is like saying that there is no way the earth could be impacted by an astroid.... anything is possible. The likelyhood of them falling out when you owed it is slim but not impossible. Many of us here have bought something that was not as described and was a little mad about it ...... it happens. All I am saying is that YOU bought it and therefore it is YOUR fault for doing so. Accept the fact that you did not do your homework before handing in the assignment........

Agree to disagree....Let's hug it out. :smootch:

On the plus side of things, we're building me a badass late model that is NOT going to fall apart on I25 and I'll actually be able to wheel this year. And that sir, is a reason to celebrate. :cheers:

LOL...... Ira is back. SOOOO back. Never boring! :laugh:

And I definitely agree.... Ira you have no clue the absolute shit-work Jim had been finding every time he went to fix or improve that damn thing. No sense beating him up for venting to his NAXJA friends about it. The absurdity of the issues with this XJ would drive anyone to thoughts of violence toward the guy that created them.....

So just chill. Love ya brutha.....:thumbup:

How often do you crawl under your heep and inspect EVERY nut and bolt?? My guess is never......

Before my health failed me, my Annual PM schedule called for every single critical fastener to be verified. And yes, this included bell housing bolts among with all of the suspension, steering, driveshafts... But then, I use a Torque Wrench when tightening my lug nuts.

As it is, I get the Kid to go over my rig once a year. Up until I had to stop going off road, the critical fasteners were verified after every single run. Especially the suspension fasteners.

To load criticism up on the current owner of this rolling disaster and transfer the responsibility to him is, IMO, a remarkably silly thing to do.

Personally, I see his comments as a wake up call to not trust anything you buy used.

The seller had to know how bad it was. I have been fiddling around with all sorts of vehicles from motorcycles to aircraft (held an A&P license from 1969 to 1976) and had never seen this sort of issue until now.

Not Like This...

Per the FSM, the torque specs for the converter housing bolts:
10mm bolts are torqued to 25 +/-2 ftlbs
12mm bolts tighten to 42 +1 -2 ftlbs.

These bolts are not going to just up and take a hike on their own, they had to have been loosened at the very least, removed at the worst.

How many of you out there have ever seen this missing bell housing bolt thing before?

Did I go overboard on my PM schedule? You bet I did. Call it a force of habit instilled by the FAA. IMO, there is no excuse to have hardware missing. Even now, I go over my rig as best as I can using the Kid to get at that which I can not.

I still "over maintain" my vehicles. How many of you do a flush and fill on your cooling system every two years? How many of you only use distilled water in the cooling system? I do both and as a result, I do not have issues with that subsystem in my Heep. To say that I strongly support aggressive maintenance would be a safe understatement...

What I would recommend is a life banishment from NAXJA if the seller were a Member although I have a hard time believing a NAXJA Member would sell an XJ in this sort of shape.

Before my health failed me, my Annual PM schedule called for every single critical fastener to be verified. And yes, this included bell housing bolts among with all of the suspension, steering, driveshafts... But then, I use a Torque Wrench when tightening my lug nuts.

As it is, I get the Kid to go over my rig once a year. Up until I had to stop going off road, the critical fasteners were verified after every single run. Especially the suspension fasteners.

To load criticism up on the current owner of this rolling disaster and transfer the responsibility to him is, IMO, a remarkably silly thing to do.

Personally, I see his comments as a wake up call to not trust anything you buy used.

The seller had to know how bad it was. I have been fiddling around with all sorts of vehicles from motorcycles to aircraft (held an A&P license from 1969 to 1976) and had never seen this sort of issue until now.

Not Like This...

Per the FSM, the torque specs for the converter housing bolts:
10mm bolts are torqued to 25 +/-2 ftlbs
12mm bolts tighten to 42 +1 -2 ftlbs.

These bolts are not going to just up and take a hike on their own, they had to have been loosened at the very least, removed at the worst.

How many of you out there have ever seen this missing bell housing bolt thing before?

Did I go overboard on my PM schedule? You bet I did. Call it a force of habit instilled by the FAA. IMO, there is no excuse to have hardware missing. Even now, I go over my rig as best as I can using the Kid to get at that which I can not.

I still "over maintain" my vehicles. How many of you do a flush and fill on your cooling system every two years? How many of you only use distilled water in the cooling system? I do both and as a result, I do not have issues with that subsystem in my Heep. To say that I strongly support aggressive maintenance would be a safe understatement...

What I would recommend is a life banishment from NAXJA if the seller were a Member although I have a hard time believing a NAXJA Member would sell an XJ in this sort of shape.

Those are the specs for the 2.5L AMC engine (it has the GM small corp metric pattern on the back...) - the 4.0 uses the old AMC V8 pattern, the upper bolts are 3/8-16 UNC and the lowers are 7/16-14 UNC.

The FAA - "we aren't happy until you aren't happy!"

•Synergy ball joints
• savvy/Currie 4340 steering
• dura tracs
• rigid LED's

Took it out for a shakedown and everything is working great. Steering was a little tight but is now feeling great. Looking forward to getting out this season.

image_zps397b214a.jpg

image_zpse2f52c15.jpg

image_zpsde56fb57.jpg

How do you like the LEDs? Up until now, I have only use them on my model steam locomotives for headlights.

Is there a place that gives comparisons vis-a-vis lumens output? I would be interested as every watt of power pulled off of the Alternator is directly returned as power to the ground.

And we are all aware about how I feel about power to the ground...

I bought a Winch yesterday and the guy selling the winch also has a full hesco 4.7 stroker kit and a few other parts to complete it ,which it's brand new and wants only $500 for everything ,So I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this from him and find a 4.0 motor to build while the stock one sits in the Jeep . I would never spend that cash for what these parts cost from Heso as all of it costs over $3,000 , but as cheap as he's selling it amkes stroking the 4.0 attractive .

•Synergy ball joints
• savvy/Currie 4340 steering
• dura tracs
• rigid LED's

Took it out for a shakedown and everything is working great. Steering was a little tight but is now feeling great. Looking forward to getting out this season.

image_zps397b214a.jpg

Your tire chains look a little loose.

I agree I wouldn't want to be beat down for not torquing a bolt down on an old truck I sold a couple years ago. But that's why when purchasing a used vehicle gotta get down and dirty without the expectation of a nascar mechanic replacing the transmission. I had a car in high school I replaced the alternator on and one of the bolts were broken so instead of taking the time to remove it and redrill the hole. I just put tape around the old bolt and tightened it down as much as possible.
15 years later I can still get blamed for that teenager mindset repair would suck.

So what's the drivetrain plan now? Still an ls swap?

What needs to be done to the drivetrain for that motor to fit properly?

Not that I want to do it just interested.

Back