• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well Got my Diesel Excursion, any Ford diesel mechanics here?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well about 2 weeks ago I went and bought a 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 2wd, 106,000 miles. Had a 6" fabtech lift, 35" new/used tires/rims and tinted windows, everything else was stock.

I initially stopped to check it out on my way back from selling my truck, and it was dark and late when I got to the used car dealer. It looked great though and ran good (for a guy that never drove a diesel at least). I arranged to come back and look/drive it once they got a few repairs done on it that it was needing. It had no airfilter when they got it, so they put a spectre pep boys cone filter on the tube, and the pass dorr locks act was not working, and there was no antenna. They said they would fix all that the next day (friday).

I went home and searched more and more for something even close to this one. Nada less then 14000$. and they were asking 10,999. I got they to agree to 9500 though if I paid cash. SO after about 12 hours of searching everything from sac to mexico and over to denver to mesa, with nada close to this one, and figured I better jump to it if I wanted it.

The next day after work (friday) I went and paid for it, but the airfilter wasnt in yet. I took it and asked them to mail it to me when it came in. It drove home ok. A pretty bad "death wobble" like thing going on up front at like 30-40 if you hit it just right on a jump or so. But cruised the hwy very nice.

Got home and on sat. gave it the one big once over. Found front spindle bearings were loose, tighten those and got new 17" wheels and 35" xtream MT. That eliminated 90% of the wobble. Installed the "Hulk Green" air filter kit that arrived that day. And, ordered new ford leafs for the rear, it was saging about 2" from the hieght it should have been in the rear and was looking pre-runner ish.

A few days ago I did see that the paint on the top was flaking/chipping off in about a 3" long area in a roof body groove, and it was green underneth. Interesting since every little bit everywhere in the eng bay and doors etc is all white. No way is a color change going to be this complete. SO dont know why green. Will have to have the body shop sand down adn reshoot the top.

So, now... I put a edge eveolution programmer on it for a few hours to read boost and trans temp. Boost was kinda low at max - 14psi. & trans temp was up in 185 without load and not towing, so that too has got me a bit worried. Now my questions if theres a Ford Diesel mech in here.

Does the OBD port give accurate boost readings and trans temp readings? Or are they from like say a map sensor and if the map is off then the reading is off, and if so, should I replace the MAP? Same with the trans temp. is it taken from a odd location and 185ish is actually equal to like 130 from where the typ reading location is.

If theres a Ford Diesel mech local maybe we can work out you giving this thing a good once over for me. I sure would feel better about it afterwards. I do have a hyperpac and 4" exhaust on order, and still looking for a decent (ok cheap) priced EGT pyrometer gauge.

Heres a few pictures.

How I bought it
IMG00765.jpg

How it is now
IMG00785.jpg

IMG00786.jpg

And the interior when I first got it, before I had it fully steamed cleaned and got a stereo knob. It will be getting the typical full eclipse DVD/NAV/SAT/BT system in it soon...
DSCF5406.jpg

DSCF5407.jpg

2001Excurssion22.jpg

DSCF5408.jpg

The paint on the roof is common, Its the caulked seam. Our body shop paints just the seam and they come out pretty good. Your door locks will need all 4 actuators, when one goes they all go, so be prepared. Also, check your pitman arm, they all come loose, If its loose, you need to remove the pitman arm, clean the splines real good, heat the pitman arm hot enough that you need gloves to hold it, put green lock-tight on the sector shaft and torque it to spec's. It's like 300 ft lbs.

Last edited:
The paint on the roof is common, Its the caulked seam. Our body shop paints just the seam and they come out pretty good. Your door locks will need all 4 actuators, when one goes they all go, so be prepared. Also, check your pitman arm, they all come loose, If its loose, you need to remove the pitman arm, clean the splines real good, heat the pitman arm hot enough that you need gloves to hold it, put green lock-tight on the sector shaft and torque it to spec's. It's like 300 ft lbs.

Very cool. Will add that to the To Do list

I think Rich knows what he is talking about, he freakin runs a Ford dealer service dept...hahahah

Anyways, Robert, nice find buddy, it is a good looking rig!

definitely a very nice find.

wish i could find something like that

Hehe, so what about diesel in the radiator overflow tank like my neighbor has? :) He's having to replace some cracked sleeves or something.

its not the size, its how you use it!

and get a room!

:D

Well I got the 7.3 :eeks1:

The 6.0 is junk from what I have read over and over..

:twak:

Well I got the 7.3 :eeks1:

The 6.0 is junk from what I have read over and over..

:twak:
yes sir! at least, so sayeth everyone ive known who had one. notice i say HAD.

:cheers: good buy Rob, so when's the roadtrip? :D :D :D :cheers:

Hopefully the previous owner didn't run w/o an air filter for too long. Most likely they pulled their aftermarket filter when they traded it in.

Hopefully the previous owner didn't run w/o an air filter for too long. Most likely they pulled their aftermarket filter when they traded it in.

Yeah they pulled the bully dog stuff. Or so it looks like. Air filter kit, exhaust tip, and gauge (they left some wiring under the hood and one had a Bullydog tag on it. So I looked and BD has a air filter kit that uses the bottom tray still and that was left but rest was removed.

I did pull the inlet to the turbo and the wheel looks great still so, it should be fine.

Doe's your neighbor have a 6.0 or a 7.3 ?

His is a 7.3, I guess it's some sleeve that cracks, common problem according to him. He's torn down and getting the injectors rebuilt, and has to get a 1.25" tap or something to thread into these sleeves then slide hammer them out. I guess it's something to watch for on the 7.3.

His is a 7.3, I guess it's some sleeve that cracks, common problem according to him. He's torn down and getting the injectors rebuilt, and has to get a 1.25" tap or something to thread into these sleeves then slide hammer them out. I guess it's something to watch for on the 7.3.

Interested to hear Rich's thoughts on this.......:eeks1:

My parents have a 99 7.3 with 180k and an 06 6.0 with 74k, both purchased new and have never given them any problems. I can tell you their 99 has been worked into the ground and it still runs like new.

Interested to hear Rich's thoughts on this.......:eeks1:

Yeah me too. I never heard of something like that. and I did a gang load of reading on what engine and what vehicle to get before I decided on a ford even.

This is very rare on the 7.3, I have only seen two. This is something that I would never worry about. Normally It would happen because some jack-off installed an injector wrong. Symptom will be fuel in the coolant. You need to pull the head to do this job, otherwise you will have shavings in the motor and it is not a job you what to make an error on.

This is very rare on the 7.3, I have only seen two. This is something that I would never worry about. Normally It would happen because some jack-off installed an injector wrong. Symptom will be fuel in the coolant. You need to pull the head to do this job, otherwise you will have shavings in the motor and it is not a job you what to make an error on.

He did buy it used. I'm sure he'll be fine fixing it, the guy is anal about every little detail.

Back