• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding surge protector?

offroadordnance

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone use one of these on a regular basis when welding or cutting rather than disconnecting the Batt, PCM, BCM, etc?? The unit I'm looking at is Goodall / Matson

Keep your ground clamp as close to the area being welded as possible, make sure there is never a harness between the ground clamp and the weld, avoid using hf start on a tig rig without disconnecting and grounding nearby stuff, and you will be fine.

If you are using hf start - I would unplug the ecu, tcu, abs module, maybe instrument cluster and airbag controller on a 97+ if I was welding inside the body, and icm on a renix.

I usually disconnect the battery, pcm, and alternator wiring. I don't know about the XJs but older chryslers used to like to fry the diodes in the alternator when you welded on the bodies :dunno: better safe than sorry.

Back