• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welderwelding question

goin4wheelin

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i am planning to get me a welder next month. i was wondering, if flux welding is strong enuff for building bumpers(3/16, 1/4), rails and weld on sheet metals(16g-22g).
the welder i am going to get is hobart 140. i know i should get the 220v but i am goin to weld stuff less than 1/4" thickness, the hobart 140 rated for 24g-1/4".
i know flux welding dont used gas, is it strong enuf to weld 1/4" steels?
i never and dont know how to weld, so this 's going to be mine learning equipment.
what ya guys,gals think about this welder. tractor suppy co have the welder for $426, is it a good deal?

thanks

simon

goin4wheelin said:
ok, i am planning to get me a welder next month. i was wondering, if flux welding is strong enuff for building bumpers(3/16, 1/4), rails and weld on sheet metals(16g-22g).
the welder i am going to get is hobart 140. i know i should get the 220v but i am goin to weld stuff less than 1/4" thickness, the hobart 140 rated for 24g-1/4".
i know flux welding dont used gas, is it strong enuf to weld 1/4" steels?
i never and dont know how to weld, so this 's going to be mine learning equipment.
what ya guys,gals think about this welder. tractor suppy co have the welder for $426, is it a good deal?

thanks

simon

Do a search for welders here on the board. There's been lots covered on this in the past.

Flux has better penetration and works better outside (wind) than gas does but the welds have to be cleaned off by stick. Doesn't the Hobart 140 come setup for gas anymore?

Personally I don't like welding 1/4" with a 140. I would seriously consider the 220V version. The price around here only varries about $50 between the small 220's and the large 110's. Worth the difference in my book.

Flux core welding does make a beter weld,and you do have to clean the weld after welding.
If your using the lower voltage machine,then ther is the possibility of more than one pass in order to make the weld strong enough.This means you have to "clean" each weld before you go back over.
Like Lincoln says the 220v will give you better penetration and a greater variety of heat ranges which makes the 220v more efficient and may not require multiple passes.
If you do go with a solid wire,.030-.035 should be fine but you will have to have a gas setup,like maybe 92/8 ( 92% argon/2% co2).There is also 75/25 but that mix would only be needed if you are welding metals 3/8" or thicker.
You could ask 50 welders the same question,and get 50 different answers :laugh: :laugh:

there is a huge difference between getting two pcs of 1/4" to stick, and two pcs of 1/4 to have a GOOD weld.

"multipass" is a half ass solution, and does not get you any more penetration.

I don't know why manufacturers of welders are allowed to get away with thier overrated specs.

I wouldn't be happy welding even 3/16 wth a little welder.

trust me.

go 220.

Beezil said:
there is a huge difference between getting two pcs of 1/4" to stick, and two pcs of 1/4 to have a GOOD weld.

"multipass" is a half ass solution, and does not get you any more penetration.

I don't know why manufacturers of welders are allowed to get away with thier overrated specs.

I wouldn't be happy welding even 3/16 wth a little welder.

trust me.

go 220.
ditto.
All my welders are 220-3 phase with .035 wire. I keep one small welder avail with .025 wire for thin wall stuff (.065 wall)
For structural parts like bumpers you need penetration. To get penetration you need power. Double passing only makes the welds look better.

Back