• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to surprise hubby

squidwife

NAXJA Forum User
We just bought a 97 xj and have trimmed the fenders to fit 31 mtr's. Now he got called away in Navy and I want to surprise him by having his xj trail ready when he returns in June... I want to spend less than 5k doing this...here's what I have thought so far...bought a 3" BDS lift with add a leaf but have decided to go spring pack instead to prevent future sag, and ARB on the rear 8.25 and re-gear. I am having a custom rear bumper and exo built also. Now my questions...what can or would you all do for the front D30 to keep it safe to wheel. We are not hardcore but I have a locked front and rear tj on 35's with 4in susp and 1in bl. And I tend to lead us on our journeys, so keeping it in mind that I would like for him to get where I go...what should I look into doing for the front? I am going ARB on it but don't want to "waste$$" on the stock D30. what upgrades or suggestions do you all have for me? And I am also thinking...do some rockers to help the uniframe integrity and skid plates of course. Who makes a good front bumper, my fab guy has limited experience with front xj bumpers so I figured I might just buy a prefab. Any suggestions out there.

thanks for the help

scratch the exo off your list. get an RE 4 1/2" lift and some 33's, gears, rear locker, skids and rock rails. If your fabricator has reservations on doing the front, keep him away from it. XJ bumpers need to be attached right or they'll end up flying through the air.

By no means am I an expert, but from what I know, the front D30 is very durable and with 31's you will have no problems. Even as you upgrade your tire size to 33's and even 35's you still should be able to retain the D30.

In regards to the rockers.. yes definately invest in some nice rails, or have your fabricator make you a set. Front bumpers, there are quite a few to choose from, and it just depends how much you want to spend on it (maybe leave that as one of the last items to buy?).
When you're doing the lift, and all the work to it, consider and look into the following: front arms (LCA's and UCA's), HD trackbar, SYE. This will improve the quality of your lift even at 3" (btw, what does the BDS kit include??).

Btw, kudos to you for deciding to surprise the hubby :D
Kejtar
P.S. If you do his lift right, you might end up having hard time keeping up with him leading :D

after you get the work done, wear something he likes and show him how much room there is with the seats folded down.

sounds like he has a great wife!

sweeet!!

(I like the name by the way, I was gonna make a Navy joke, but what you are doing is waaay above and beyond the call of duty)

Along the same lines as everyone else, 4.5" 33", rock rails, bumpers AJ or ridico or BPI. I would just throw a couple lock-rites in front and rear and re-gear if still within budget.

I think that should keep within you budget and get a bit more bang for your $, one piece of the budget though,..are you going to have to pay for labor on the lift install etc? Or just the fab work?

well, loads of info, so many things...I am paying for installs also, but I am getting a great price from friends so that isn't an issue,really.
I am glad to hear that the D30 can hold up. I am gonna do the SYE and a couple other little things. regear and such,for sure. And want a front bumper with tow points and winch mount(winch later).I am now thinkng maybe just ARB up front and auto in back. Maybe along lines of detroit in rear.
So far everyone says RE 4.5 up front. Queston..Will the 31's we just got have too much gap with a 4.5 lift or should they be ok, till bigger tires are actually needed.I am not familiar with xj's so I am really listening to you guys here.And your opinion is valued. thanks and keep em coming.thank you so much. I am not a techy so what am I looking for as far as LCA and UCA issues?

Now if all females were like this, the world would be a better place.
IMOP,

Rubicon Express: RE6130 4.5" lift
Rubicon Express: RE1467 4degree shims
JB Conversions: Super Short SYE
Warn: Front Bumper
Skid Row: Engine Skid
Skid Row: Transfer Case Skid
Skid Row: Gas Tank Skit
Rocky-Road Outfitters: Rock Rail/Step Rail
Hi-Lift: Hi-Lift Jack All Cast
Regear to 4.56
Lock-Right: front and rear lockers
Tom Woods or A1: CV driveshaft

Front Dif Skid

That is about $4000 depending on how hard you look for a good price. Does his XJ have a full-size spare? You might want to get one if he doesn't. Search the threads for that, I picked up 2 for $50 last night.

squidwife said:
Will the 31's we just got have too much gap with a 4.5 lift or should they be ok, till bigger tires are actually needed.

I am getting 31x10.5s Interco TrXuS for my 4.5. The gap might not be the smallest, but that is more flex. The RE kit comes with the LCA's and UCA's.

evilpresence said:
Does his XJ have a full-size spare?

Full size spare?? It doesn't even have full size tires yet!! :laugh2: J/K

I second the 4.5" RE lift, SYE, gears, rear locker, bumper, rockers and bigger tires. I also second the "The world would be a better place if all women were like this". :) You husband is a very lucky man.
Billy

Gee, leave him something to do, let him mount the bug shield, just keep it, the XJ in the closed garage and the bug shield in the living room and tell him "I got something for your XJ but you'll have to put it on". Should be worthwhile seeing the look on his face :wow:

RichP said:
Gee, leave him something to do, let him mount the bug shield, just keep it, the XJ in the closed garage and the bug shield in the living room and tell him "I got something for your XJ but you'll have to put it on". Should be worthwhile seeing the look on his face :wow:

:laugh2: too funny.

Squidwife - does the TJ have a d30? The XJ d30 is high pinion so it's pretty strong and has the stronger U-joint too. It'll be fine.

I'ld recommend BPI for the bumpers. I love mine.

I'ld do the lift and skids then see what kind of budget you have left. At that point I would decide which locker to go with and which bumper. For the price of one ARB you could probably get two lockrights installed and have plenty left for the bumper.

BTW you ROCK!! We want to see the pics when he walks in the garage :D

Well I don't have much to add about the tech as most have already said it, but just wanted to add another to your list of admirers. If we were all so lucky as to have a wife like this. I'd come home and she'd have all my vehicles sold so that there would be somewhere to park lmao

don't know if anyone has said this one yet, but diff. skids were pretty much the first thing most of the guys in my club suggested I get after I finished lifting it. Crane diff. skids seem to be the popular one among my club and they've been absolutely REDICULOUS in action!!! I don't have teh money for 'em yet, but from what i've seen/heard, they are ABSOLUTELY worth it! Also, I'd definitely consider looking into the Olympic Rock Winch-ready bumper (i'm assuming he'll want one eventually). I've got one on mine and it's defintely been worth it! Check 'em out if you get the chance ;) Hope the work goes well and that you'll get in on some of the installs. It's always been really fun for me to learn new stuff about the XJ :cheers:

To answer your question, put at least a detriot true-trac in front, if not another ARB locker since you already have the air compressor. You'll appreciate the extra traction up front. For bumpers and rocker guards, try http://ajsoffroadarmor.com. You're going to have a hard time keeping up with the TJ off road, if you keep the 31's on it.

If you want more engine performance, a good header from banks or borla w/cat back system and throttle body spacer will give you some extra horsepower, too.

Last edited:
yep, I am going to do the 33'.I am gonna leave the engine tech stuff to him.
I just want to thank you guys. You all have help tremendously.And I hope to get some pics up after all the mod's I'm surprising him with.And thanks to the admirers, its no fun having a hobby if ya can't enjoy it with the one ya love.

squidwife said:
yep, I am going to do the 33'.I am gonna leave the engine tech stuff to him.
I just want to thank you guys. You all have help tremendously.And I hope to get some pics up after all the mod's I'm surprising him with.And thanks to the admirers, its no fun having a hobby if ya can't enjoy it with the one ya love.
I run 33's on the dana 30, no problems that end, up to moderate abuse. Was gonna ask if you have a sister, but I'll hold out for cloning.... :rof:

the re 4.5 kit sits after settle at around 5 inches + on most rigs. I had 31s on it at first and they look a bit dinky yet you get some really good flexcause they stuff way nice. I have 32s now and think thats a perfect fit for the re4.5 kit little to no rub when wheeling only when going back down obsticals. my back end was sitting taller than the front. that kit comes with 3/4 spacer but I added another 1" spacer and now it's fine no rubbing.

I would go for the BPI front bumper that thing rocks. thats the one I'm saving for. 33s would work with this kit but your going to have to trim some more or your going to get some rubbing.

pics 1 and 11 are with 31s and the rest are 32s

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288483617

I agree with everything except the front bumper.... This is the one that I like...Looks more factory and harder to steal the winch...

xj_bumper_002.jpg

xj_bumper_001.jpg

Back