• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN locations?

vagrant

NAXJA Forum User
I'm buying (if I can verify it) a salvage titled 98 XJ 4 door Classic and we can't find any VIN numbers on the vehicle. The "owner" says it was that way when he bought it and that the guy who sold it to him was a sheriff's son and he drove it like that for two years without any issues. The new owner drives it all the time so he says. I'm skittish of buying anything that is not legit and want to know where I can look to possibly find the VIN numbers? He says the motor was swapped and the door tag is gone. If there is one good VIN on it I should be able to use that to verify it's title, no?

Thanks

Nothing behind the bottom of the windshield, driver's side? that's where it should be.

Just off the top of my head;

lower left side of the windshield, normal location for most all vehicles

drivers side of the bulkhead/firewall next to the hood hinge

sticker inside of drivers door jamb

catalyst sticker on the upper radiator support.

There's more, just can't think of them.

He said there is nothing at any of those locations. Also none of the glass has a VIN etched into it. How on earth did he manage to get this thing titled, much less drive it without being tasered yet?

Did the add for the Jeep say "This car is HOT!"?

If the Jeep is missing the VIN in the Public VIN locations, it is considered "tampered." Here in California that is a felony. You being the owner would be subject to the charge if you become the owner.

From the CA Vehicle Code:
10751. (a) No person shall knowingly buy, sell, offer for sale, receive, or have in his or her possession, any vehicle, or component part thereof, from which any serial or identification number, including, but not limited to, any number used for registration purposes, that is affixed by the manufacturer to the vehicle or component part, in whatever manner deemed proper by the manufacturer, has been removed, defaced, altered, or destroyed, unless the vehicle or component part has attached thereto an identification number assigned or approved by the department in lieu of the manufacturer's number..

Yeah I would def. say that the vehicle is quite warm, and I would def. run away as quickly as possible!! The previous owner might have been the Sherrif's son, but that doesn't make the vehicle any more legal... and notice he no longer owns it....

Newer XJ's have secondary 3/4 x 2" VIN stickers on each door by between the hinges, including the tailgate. Each fender has the same tag on the inside surface, you will have to move the plastic splash shield to see it. The original VIN number is also stamped into the engine bay sheet metal right where the hood prop rod is stored.

Last edited:
Vehicles have "secret" VIN locations (which usually aren't that secret). Call your local DMV or Highway Patrol and ask what you need to do on this BEFORE you buy it. They have a verification process that isn't too cumbersome. I had a 69 Ford van years ago that had had the driver door replaced, and a VIN tag came along with the door that didn't match the title. CHP has a book that shows them all the VIN locations on vehicles, so I just drove it down, the officer checked one of the locations (voltage regulator bracket in my case) and filled out a form that I took to the DMV to verify the vehicle I had matched the title I had. But do not buy it without doing this first.

What color is this Jeep ?, can you post a pic ? I owned a 98 classic that i rebuilt in NY, unfortunately it got sold while i was away with the army and i never had a chance to finish the job, it kinda sounds like my work, parts from alot of different jeeps, look here, 10th from the top or post #70, http://http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=992624&page=5
KP

What color is this Jeep ?, can you post a pic ? I owned a 98 classic that i rebuilt in NY, unfortunately it got sold while i was away with the army and i never had a chance to finish the job, it kinda sounds like my work, parts from alot of different jeeps, look here, 10th from the top or post #70, http://http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=992624&page=5
KP

KPXJ.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=992624&page=5

Is that the right pic?

Thanks for all of the input. We're still investigating our options and trying to get someone from title office to help.

He said there is nothing at any of those locations. Also none of the glass has a VIN etched into it. How on earth did he manage to get this thing titled, much less drive it without being tasered yet?

A couple of thoughts, but they are based on my experience in Texas. One, the only time the VIN number is looked at is during emissions tests, or if you take to an insurance company rep to get it insured. IN my case the only time anyone ever looked at my VINs was when it got the annual inspection for safety and emissions.

If you have the old title and the signed forms in Texas and the cash for the sales tax and proof of liability insurance that is all you need to get a new title here. Salvage vehicles are another story. Cops here look at the license tags and windshield stickers. Typically they never look at the VIN number.

Is there an old title with a VIN number that you can research online with CarFax? Call the Prior owner for more details and history, and your DMV and ask them what the procedure is.

Back