• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Varilock in an XJ D30?

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and didn't find any information on this. My friend who's a Chrysler mechanic called me yesterday to tell me he had a D30 Vari-lock that he would give to me. He tried installing it in his disconnect D30 and said his shafts were too short for it to work. He assumed since I have the one peice (98 XJ) shafts that it would work because my shafts were longer. (Trying to hold back the jokes here)

I've never even heard of the Vari-lock system until he told me about it and I looked it up online. Apparently this was something Jeep started using in the WJ GC's. I know they have CV shafts so I'm thinking that may be the difference here. I'm hesitant to think it will work because I would think if it did, I would have already heard about it here.

Can anyone shed some insight here?

P.S. - I asked on NAGCA and all I got were crickets chirping...they're like :huh:

i looked into the doing this also. im a Chrysler Jeep tech also. the housing is different because of the pump. the shafts are longer.to make it really work you'd have to install the complete diff assembly from the WJ.

i looked into the doing this also. im a Chrysler Jeep tech also. the housing is different because of the pump. the shafts are longer.to make it really work you'd have to install the complete diff assembly from the WJ.

this.

the geroter pump thing is what makes it all work.. you need that.

Apparently the pump mounts in with no issues. I had guessed the shafts would be the issue. Ok, thanks for your thoughts guys.

Back