• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum lines Pics?!

Laurent Wagoneer

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently found that my vacuum lines are not plugged in correctly
Does anyone have a picture of the lines? The diagram on the firewall isn't helping. I have two extra lines and don't know where they go!
Anyone in the LA area that can meet to copy?

I've read about doing a straight plug in and removing the plastic bracket thingy.... I'll do that IF it'll pass smog...

The harnesses are cheap.

Renix Vacuum Harnesses
The vacuum harness that attaches to the front of the valve cover and includes the grommet/fitting, and is called the front harness, is Napa part number BK 715-1367

The vacuum harness that is closest to the air cleaner, EGR etc, and is called the rear harness, is Napa part number BK-715-1366.

The tube from the rear of the valve cover to the intake manifold is part number 715-1365.

Revised 09-11-2012

You can replace the stock harness with steel/rubber or plastic/rubber lines, but you can buy both halves of the OEM setup at NAPA and other vendors.

Sent you a PM.

I was reading up on a thread like this one posted by Crazy Jim back in09 I think.... Well, he eventually did the while set up without the harnes.... There were no pics though of the placement of the hoses...again, if running it straight doesn't effect smog test or performance, I'll go tht route.

OK, I have some pics from my 90, in no particular order. The 3/8 line in the middle comes off the intake mainifold and crosses over behind the valve cover. This is the source vacuum for the HVAC system, cruise control and vac diso axle. More on this one later.

The other 2...far left comes from the CCV...see next pi for where it goes.

The tiny one in the middle goes from the MAP sensor to the throttle body.

this one comes from the CCV in the back of the valve cover and plugs in to the exhaust manifold in front of the throttle body. The other small little elbow goes to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

This is the vacuum harness where most of the vac lines for the emissions system all pass through. The big one goes all the way through from the valve cover to the air box...there's 2 ports there, don't know why...only one is hooked up, the two curved ones plug into a double "tower" on the intake manifold and pass through the harness towards the EGR and EGR solenoid. Another goes to the airbox for the thermostatic control (mines deleted).
The one just below the fat one goes to the intake tube in between the two large emissions hoses (it's an aftermarket CARB [California Air Regulatory Board] approved intake. The other one is capped.

Another view

The cylinder thing in the middle is the Fuel Pressure Regulator, it's got it's own dedicated line and ALSO hooks in to the intake manifold via it's own little brass nipple.

This is all the HVAC and cruise mess. I stuck the vacuum reservoir in the firewall after I snapped a couple of lines on the trail...hadn't cleaned it up on picture day. Most notably the pink line is for the heater control valve...deleted...the black line next to it powers the HVAC blend doors.

On the reservoir there is one marked "VAC" or "vacuum" which comes into the ball from the SOURCE, the smaller line goes OUT to the various servos, HVAC, Cruise, Disco axle, disco switch, etc.

After I post this I'll look more closely at the pics and try to explain them a bit better.:gee:

Just for clarity, although this IS a 90 4.0 the cooling system is converted to an open system which is why it looks different. The heater valve is a 91-96 version and the coolant pressure bottle is gone. The pink one is now clipped and capped and the heater valve is gone and all this is cleaned up

Last edited:
Here you go!!

And finally....

Interesting that we all have different skill sets, patience and understanding of the world...I CANNOT wrap my head around how my transmission works, but some of you have it ingrained in your brain....I can finish a crossword puzzle in 5 minutes but my VCR is still blinking 12:00 - 12:00 -12:00. I need to have my grandson help me with it.... Yet I'm not even as smart as my smart phone.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Thanks for the pcs and diagrams. However, I still can't seem to wire it. I may be coming across as a moron for not doing so, but this is just pissing me off!
The diagram shown above, same one on the firewall, isn't showing all the lines and that's what's pissing me off!
I either need to meet with someone to copy or a video/detail of every dam line hahaha
I tried Youtube and no luck.... :shiver:

Well I'd meet up with you but I'm 475 miles away...

I know that most people outside of California think we ALL live at "the beach" or that it all exists right around LA it just ain't so (which is why we call THIS place Paradise) Might want to look for someone in the LA area willing to show you. I've had my frustrations too, but unless you can get it dialed in you will not be able to smog it. My son got dinged and failed smog for 1 (one) vac line being missing.

The harness actually makes it easier to organize the lines...once you have that you just find out where they all go, which is in the pics and the explanations. If you need further clarification, just ask.

Last edited:
Here's a working gif of the Captain:

facepalm.gif

...which is EXACTLY how I feel at least once a day...like when my wife starts talking about her candle collection...and I'm not ashamed to say so (but do NOT tell her that!) Thanks Sidewinder...perfect.

Last edited:
...which is EXACTLY how I feel at least once a day...like when my wife starts talking about her candle collection...and I'm not ashamed to say so (but do NOT tell her that!) Thanks Sidewinder...perfect.

Funny, that is the exact thing I do when Wife gives me "The Look"!

Back