• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 ZJ Tierod Upgrade

Advance auto is having a 33% off day and I priced this mod out, but need you guys to weigh in. For all MOOG parts, it comes to 154.07 reg price 103.25 after discount

Now for their house brand "driveworks" I assume same thickness of the bar, just different TRE'S it comes to 91.27 reg price 61.16 after the discount.

Thoughts? The fact I hear some of you running jy tie rod set ups for 12 bucks and doing fine with ( or even just having to change the single TRE) leads me to believe the house brand would suffice being $40 dollars cheaper.

I've given up on "house brand" parts for a lot of things. Seems more and more of these things are sub-standard parts cranked out in some factory in Singapore or wherever, with zero quality control. Who gives a damn if it has a "lifetime warranty", when it's "lifetime" is measured in weeks. "New one's free, you just have to put it on!"
For steering parts, I use Moog or OEM. (I'll consider NAPA's house brands, but they cost as much as the Moog.)

The 12 dollar tie rod is probably a used factory assembly, purchased from a wrecking yard. Nothing wrong with used parts, as long as they're not "pre-worn out for your convenience". The only issue with going the used route with the ZJ tie rod is it's only in the V-8. 'Can make it hard to find. The -6 models use the same XJ/TJ tie rod already in our rigs.
(Why the hell are there two of those, anyway?)

1st off I have also given up on House brands Moog is a House brand as far as I care I used moog Balljoints bad in 6 months mild wheeling another set bad in less time no wheeling involved also small lift and 32's at a the time.2nd I have picked up 7 V8 tie rods around here for my rigs and friends rigs they are super easy to find and I just replace tre with OEM and they are great.

Some people don't like JY parts, which I don't understand, but hey, their money not mine.

I have ten bucks into mine, as my drag link was in good shape. If I had thought ahead and thrown the tie rod on a d30 I bought a few years ago before bringing it to the register it would have been free.

Or you have the problem I have, which is living in a small town with very limited junkyard selection within a reasonable driving distance, and having to factor in fuel costs to travel 3 hours away to hopefully find what I need at a junkyard. I wouldn't mind the junkyard stuff if it was reasonably easy for me to get hold of.

Your drag link is adjustable, you could get a new end for it and grease it up good while doing the zj tie rod. The zj tie rod is much better IMO and stronger. Adjust your drag link to center your steering wheel...a new tie rod end takes slop out of the steering if yours is old and worn out. Do a quick alignment in your driveway and wheel away. Tre's are fairly cheap and will really make your steering crisper and tighter.

Back