• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 ZJ Tierod Upgrade

If you have amazon prime you can get em cheap shipped in 2 days

I don't remember, like I said, it wasn't me, it was someone else on here.

I'm subscribed to this thread because I was looking at doing it. I didn't feel like it was overly complicated. With 225k on the clock I just redid all my steering components. Pump, PSC overdrive pulley, filter and cooler in return line, new box, and new ZJ components from the pitman to the knuckles and I haven't had any issues in 7 months.

If you know something Ken I'd like to hear about it.

There is nothing wrong with using the zj draglink but its also not required. It's the same as the xj draglink on mid 90's and up.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089852

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have never heard anything about anyone else having an issue with the v8 zj drag link... personally I would just use the xj one since it is just as strong and obviously does not cause issues.

Well too late, it works great and I've probably got 10k on it so far. But thanks for the heads up that was the first of anything like that I had heard.

Same here. Scratched my head a bit when I read that thread, not really sure what is going on with his setup. I bet it's an alignment, part quality, or install issue though...

There is nothing wrong with using the zj draglink but its also not required. It's the same as the xj draglink on mid 90's and up.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089852

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have never heard anything about anyone else having an issue with the v8 zj drag link... personally I would just use the xj one since it is just as strong and obviously does not cause issues.

There is a difference between the XJ and ZJ drag links. It is not the same as the XJ's. The overall length is longer on a ZJ one. May actually help on a lifted XJ.....but..... the angle where the stabilizer shock goes is more extreme causing the stabilizer shock to mount higher up closer to the oil pan. And there is also an extra bend at the sleeve side of the ZJ drag links. The distance between the outter TRE and the inner TRE hole and TRE and the hole for the stab shock is the same distance from each other though.

Here is my post from pg 4 post 47 in this thread about it...

Yes it (DS1238) will be an upgrade for a 84-90 xj. The DS1238 is from a 91-01 XJ. Just a side note a (not on my list) DS1311 is for a v6 grand from 93-98, and a DS1310 is from a v8 grand from 93-98. The only diff I can see in the DS1311, DS1310 from the DS1238 is a slight bend(not much) at the sleeve end on the DS1311 and DS1310 and they are about 3/4" longer at the sleeve end then the DS1238 is. The distances between the TRE and the first hole(were the DS1312 mounts in) and from the first hole to the stabilizer hole are identical on all three pieces. enjoy

Ok, I'm confused. I've seen on multiple posts/threads that the drag links are the same, now am seeing that they are different. Can someone please confirm this, so it's not just "one persons incorrect ramblings" and is more of a majority conscience.

if you have a 90 and older XJ use the DS1238 as an upgrade
if you have a 91+ don't worry about the drag link as they are the better ones all the way to 2001

DO not use the ZJ DS1310 or DS1311 as it "may" cause issues.

Both the XJ and ZJ DL's are the same thickness and material. The differences are listed above.

No point in guessing just get the DS1238 if 90 or older as an upgrade. If 91+ you do not need it as it is a stock part for you. If yours is worn you might as well replace it though.

So just to make sure, I have the following parts in my RockAuto cart (won't be purchasing for a couple weeks though).

DS1312 (tie rod)
DS1238 (drag link)
ES3096L (x2) (tie rod ends)
ES2079S (x2) (tie rod adjusting sleeve)

If I order the above, I will complete the entire ZJ upgrade for an 89 Cherokee, correct?

Mine are from O'Reillys also. Im kinda bias though as I am management at O'Reillys in Houston(by 45 and 1960 area)
Here are the part # I used for mine. They were all moog parts aswell
1 #DS1312 long tie rod, its solid not hollow
1 #DS1238 drag link
2 #ES3096L short tie rod ends(1 by pitman, 1 by outer driver side)
2 #ES2079S adjustment sleeves

This was my post from page one of this thread and are the correct numbers to totally upgrade an 89. So yes if you order those numbers they will be the right ones.

Does anyone know how the Omnix Ada stuff holds up from Advance? You can get the whole draglink kit that includes a new TRE adjustment sleeve and the clamps (PN 18054.07) for $92.75. The Moog draglink (PN DS1238) is $131.99 for just that and no TRE sleeve or clamps. You'd have to reuse the OEM adjustment sleeve and clamps (no big deal they don't wear out), and a new TRE for the pitman arm side @ $45.99 (Moog) for a total cost of $177.98. Using all MOOG parts I'd have over $300 in the whole thing (including the long ZJ TRE). You can buy a 1ton upgrade kit for that.

Really I think the TRE's are good on my drag ling. Just the dust boots are trashed. Anyone have any luck with those replacement boots?

The DS1238 will not be an upgrade for you if you are wanting to put it on the 2000 XJ you have in your profile. DS1238 is your stock replacement. You already have that one on your XJ. DS1238 was stock from 91-01 year models. It is an XJ part not a ZJ(grand Cherokee) part.

The DS1238 will not be an upgrade for you if you are wanting to put it on the 2000 XJ you have in your profile. DS1238 is your stock replacement. You already have that one on your XJ. DS1238 was stock from 91-01 year models. It is an XJ part not a ZJ(grand Cherokee) part.

Right I know it's not an upgrade, and it's the stock replacement. What I'm wanting to do is rebuild the whole steering. New draglink TREs, and the use the V8 ZJ Upgrade on the long TRE. Most of my slop is in the box. The bearing on the idler arm is shot allowing deflection as it turns.

My question is. Is the Omnex Ada stuff any good or am I just wasting my money? Going with all MOOG pushes the price to the point where I'd just go the extra $30/40 and upgrade to 1ton from JCR, or Rough Stuff.

Idler arm bearing????? XJ's do not use an idler arm in their steering set up. As car as the brand I personally have never used them. If it is local to you and lifetime warranty I say give it a try. If not see what the parts stores have. Most house brand chassis and steering parts are life time warrenty these days. And they are easier to replace if local verses waiting for one to ship.

I'll get a pic tomorrow if Mikegronholz doesn't beat me to it. Here are the walk in prices from O'Reillys all moog's
DS1312 $64.99
DS1238 $100.99
ES3096L $35.99 each
ES2079S $20.99 each

total of $279.94 to do it all (1-DS1312, 1-DS1238, 2-ES3096L, 2-ES2079S)
total of $121.97 with out the drag link setup (1-DS1312, 1-ES3096L, 1-ES2079S)
plus tax if applicable

this is insanity. $25 tie rod from the JY. one new end $20. no one should spend more than $80 on this upgrade

Some people don't like JY parts, which I don't understand, but hey, their money not mine.

I have ten bucks into mine, as my drag link was in good shape. If I had thought ahead and thrown the tie rod on a d30 I bought a few years ago before bringing it to the register it would have been free.

Back