• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading to oem 16” wheels and tires without lifting - size question

Woodswanderer

NAXJA Forum User
I need new tires with an E load rating, my current 15s just wont cut it. Found a set oem set of 4 16” wrangler alloys semi local for a good price
b90a21bce8d553e3a75fa33b3d9ac593.jpg

Will they fit, first. Second, can i squeeze 245/75-16 in the wheel well without trimming or lifting? Suspension is all brand new, HD springs front and rear. No sag, top center of wheel arches measures 33”+ from ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

235/75-15 is my sure thing size if this doesnt work. I just hate to scrap almost new all seasons to swap

I don't recall that wheel on early wranglers (5x4.5"), are you sure those aren't 5x5"?

I think RCP is correct. I bet those are 5x5.

But I bet they will work just fine with spacers.

As to running 245/75r16s, I think you have a reasonable chance of fitting those. Hopefully someone can chime in who has a close enough build to yours to be able to confirm or deny. My '96 (not quite the same fender flares as yours) sits with the wheel arches at 34" on 30" tires. I know that I can clear 245/75r16s on Icon wheels.

Thanks guys. Doing some research on the googlenets, those are grand cherokee wheels and not wrangler. I thought something looked odd...pretty sure 99+ grand cherokee

It's sad they don't make an e rating for 15s. All the other mail carriers In my office drive Jk's and can run e rated tires which last them for a good amount of time. The best I can get is some ds and I'm always getting punctures and only get about about 15k out of a set.

I’ve found 235/15” in e rated. i just kinda like the idea of the extra 1” lift that 16s give, since im beefing up to tow a travel trailer (ZJ brakes and Nokian Rotiiva tires are the last pieces of the puzzle)

There are 16 inch rims for the XJ. 2000-2001. I run them on my 2000. I forget what metric size I am on. Also, I'm on a 2" lift. They are roughly 31-9.5 and E rated. Actually, the Tire shop didn't have any C rated they could order at that time.

According to the tire calculator, 245/75-16 is 30.5x9.6. From what im reading, 30” will fit stock no lift with a bit of rubbing on full lock. What i cant seem to find out is if i need 1/2 ton steering to match

According to the tire calculator, 245/75-16 is 30.5x9.6. From what im reading, 30” will fit stock no lift with a bit of rubbing on full lock. What i cant seem to find out is if i need 1/2 ton steering to match

What's 1/2 ton steering? I do have 1-ton steering on mine. I would say it is not necessary. Some upgrade to the ZJ tie rod. I did have 31's on a 4.5 lift with the stock steering. It was OK, but had issues. I think the issues was more used parts. I'd also say, it might depend on the width of the 31's you plan to run. If the tires don't fit, then I'd plan for a budget boost.

Oops lol, thats what i meant...1 ton steering 😅

These are the leading option for tires now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Tires-No...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

2700lb/2500lb load rating. 245/16”LT is 3100lb

Trailer is about 4400lb dry, so around 4900 loaded, which is max gvwr on my door tag using 215/75-15 tires that it calls for). Side note, my speedo reads fast with 215/15”, looks like its geared for 235/15”

Tie rod was upgraded to a Rough Country bar...evrrything else in the steering is Moog (with moog thermoplastic track bar bushing insert, poly sway bar mount bushings, moog end link bushings being the only “upgrades”)

1 ton steering is ok if you do full cross-over steering and not a inverted T set-up, otherwise go with the Currie Correctlync.

Ive read something in my research about a delrin bushing/boot i can put in called “the fix” that is supposed to stop the tie rod from flopping back and forth when steering...supposedly helps cure “death wobble” symptoms.

For the life of me though, i cant find the website again. Is that the Curry item you are talking about RCP?

Why do you want E load range? What are you running for axles and springs that they wouldn't be your limitation on weight?

Corp 8.25 rear/dana front...rear springs are Husky (745lb rating) paired with kyb monomax, new oem omix ada bump stops (they are a bit long). May be adding a helper spring or airbag shocks to the rear for piece of mind. 550lb tongue weight should be pushing the max with this configuration.

Front is crown HD springs, paired with KYB monomax.

Fluid in the diffs switched over to 75/140 rear 75/90 front full syn valvoline. That sheisse is expensive lol

Back