• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Upgrades" you most regret spending money on

Rubicon Express suspension

Inverted T steering... 3 times

33"s

t-case drop

Rugged Ridge 1 Ton steering kit. Complete dog $hit of a product unless you like having 1/2 wheel's worth of dead space and the sensation of almost dying while taking a corner over 50mph. "Redesigned" my ass, that kit still sucks.

Should've went with Ruff Stuff heims from the beginning.

it would have to be the PUV anti-rollover device.

I went way off-camber on time, and the device kicked off, and it accidentally bitch-slapped Sequoia would was videotaping everyone else wheeling.

The handful of us that know what this is are giggling.....thanks Beez!

My PUV A-RD order came with this personal photo.......which totally creeped me out.

richtiesmall.jpg

Oh, so many , and not all were mine, but I had to deal with them after I bought the vehicle ;)

Homemade airtube: Worked fine but cost me gas mileage...

TJ Flares: Bring the suck in the mounting and beauty department. Not to mention fill the door hinges with sand and crud.

Removable Doors: Hinges, what more can I say...

Rear Tire Carrier: This was home built by me. Got the tire outside, but then every time I wanted to use the truck, I had to open the tire carrier 1st, then the liftgate.

Mechanical fan to Electric Conversion: You gain zero with a stock aux fan and the E-replacement for the trusty mechanical fan, just spent more money.

Sleeving the stock tie rod: It still bends.

Sliding into trees: Makes body look bad and busts side windows.

Backing into trees: See above. Back window go "Boom!" = Cold ride home.

Spring mounted CB antenna mounted on rear 1/4: Spring allows antenna to pirouette in the wind and bang on side of Jeep. Very annoying.

The list goes on, but I'm tired of typing ;)

Rear Tire Carrier: This was home built by me. Got the tire outside, but then every time I wanted to use the truck, I had to open the tire carrier 1st, then the liftgate.
lol what's so horrible about the tire carrier? I pull the pin and swing it open, what so bad about that?
Mechanical fan to Electric Conversion: You gain zero with a stock aux fan and the E-replacement for the trusty mechanical fan, just spent more money.
what electric fan did you put in place of the mechanical fan? And my secondary E fan works great... I'm still in stock form but I'm looking to convert over to the electric fan conversion.

You might not say that living here. They are pretty much a requirement.

Although I must say, after running the old pocket style and now running the new flat ones you can't even compare the two. The new flat ones are ten times nicer, more sturdy, easier to install and you don't have to drill into the back door.

Requirement because of the state laws?

My biggest problems with the BW flares was the price and then once the rocks started pulling them off my fenders and I removed them, my jeep's body is pockmarked to hell.

I do like the look of the flatties though.

Last edited:
>> MaxxXJ

Swing Out Tire Carrier: Not "Horrible", just not something I would do again.
Spent less time, money, and effort to get it to fit in the stock location (33"). I can see out the back window again and don't have to deal with the tire at all.

E-Fan: When I bought my 01' the PO had pulled the Mech fan and replaced it with an Electric Fan on a switch. It works, but I wouldn't spend my money on it. As I mentioned - No advantage at all. That said, I have 2 options when this fan fails, going back to Mech fan, or going forward to a 3 fan setup that offers more cooling than stock, but at more expense as well in terms of money and amp draw at low speeds on the trail. If I go forward, I will set up for automatic on/off and not do an over-ride switch.

The PO also cut vents in the hood. I wouldn't have done that either for the same reason. Just made the heat soak issue stand out by venting the hot CAT generated air past the intake and fuel rail.

>> Lurch

I like my Cuttout flares so far. They replaced a set of TJ Flares - so I didn't have an option on the rear door - it was already damaged by the TJ flare conversion.
The BW flares allow use of the inner fender liner, which keeps all that road/trail crud to stay out of the door hinges.

Last edited:
Requirement because of the state laws?

My biggest problems with the BW flares was the price and then once the rocks started pulling them off my fenders and I removed them, my jeep's body is pockmarked to hell.

I do like the look of the flatties though.

Ya. They are tire nazis in this state. You have to have tires completely covered and any lifted vehicle has to have mud flaps.

I got pulled over once with my jeep on a trailer. I was going to Moab and pulled my old pocket style BW flares off because I knew they would get ripped off.

The cop told me that since is had valid plates it needed to be legal even if it was on a trailer. He was full of crap and he knew it. Didn't try to ticket me or anything but it gives you an idea how stupid they can be.

Ya. They are tire nazis in this state. You have to have tires completely covered and any lifted vehicle has to have mud flaps.

I got pulled over once with my jeep on a trailer. I was going to Moab and pulled my old pocket style BW flares off because I knew they would get ripped off.

The cop told me that since is had valid plates it needed to be legal even if it was on a trailer. He was full of crap and he knew it. Didn't try to ticket me or anything but it gives you an idea how stupid they can be.
wow.... and they say CA sucks for modified cars.

>> MaxxXJ

Swing Out Tire Carrier: Not "Horrible", just not something I would do again.
Spent less time, money, and effort to get it to fit in the stock location (33"). I can see out the back window again and don't have to deal with the tire at all.
my tire carrier is on the far driver side about as low as I could while not effecting clearance, so I can see out the back for the most part

E-Fan: When I bought my 01' the PO had pulled the Mech fan and replaced it with an Electric Fan on a switch. It works, but I wouldn't spend my money on it. As I mentioned - No advantage at all. That said, I have 2 options when this fan fails, going back to Mech fan, or going forward to a 3 fan setup that offers more cooling than stock, but at more expense as well in terms of money and amp draw at low speeds on the trail. If I go forward, I will set up for automatic on/off and not do an over-ride switch.
i see your delimma, I thought the intention was for that fan to be on 100% while the engines on and aux fan on say a switch. I like my mechanical fan, I would just like for my aux fan to work again since I did the open cooling conversion
The PO also cut vents in the hood. I wouldn't have done that either for the same reason. Just made the heat soak issue stand out by venting the hot CAT generated air past the intake and fuel rail.
Not sure I understand...I thought The vents allow for heat to exit the engine compartment at low speeds not create more of an issue, I just cut 2 nice holes in my hood and did a radiator swap and my temp sits at the middle line between cold and 210.

I guess you could say my worst upgrade has been the weld on rock rings, I'm not knocking the product at all, I'm sure they will work fantastic but now it's made it to where I can not balance my wheels cuz they are off by so much weight. (10oz rock ring side 8oz inside lip) and I now have a shimmy at 45-50 mph

Im sure you know this but have you tried air soft pellets? I have square Iroks with rock-rings and with the airsoft pellets it balances out really well.

Back