• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgraded d30 plans...

doing a dana44 is definitly more expensive, my friend got quoted at $500 for having it set up to run on the xj (waggy 44) and then another $600 for gearing. So $1100, yet i just found a 4.56 geared dana 30 for $75... hmm bit of a price difference there...

A propperly done D44 costs a little bit more then $1100.

But the gains over a D30 might make that cost bearable. !!!1

To the OP, I would stick with a D30. Especially if you do not want to run alloy shafts, or a locker. The gains of a D44 would be lost on you.

The HP D30 is only worth a little bit of polish... Not a lot.

Here is what I did I had a plate welded to the upper mount on the passenger side
JKS mini skids welded on

Now for the pricey part 4.88 and an ARB.

I did this for a final goal of 33-34 inch tires. I have no interest in bigger I wanted better than stock grunt hence the 4.88 instead of 4.56.

I am now just getting it under the Jeep so I will let you know how it goes

Here is what I did I had a plate welded to the upper mount on the passenger side
JKS mini skids welded on

Now for the pricey part 4.88 and an ARB.

I did this for a final goal of 33-34 inch tires. I have no interest in bigger I wanted better than stock grunt hence the 4.88 instead of 4.56.

I am now just getting it under the Jeep so I will let you know how it goes

you'll enjoy the 4.88s

I would disagree. I polished the shit out of my 30 and have been flogging it for almost three years now without an issue... and I am *really* hard on my junk.

Dana 30
Housing taken to bare tube and sleeved in 3x.250" DOM
Trussed with 2x4 .250" by Overkill Fabrications
Custom axle bracketry (.188 and .250) by Overkill Fabrications
Inner C's rotated for 12 degrees pinion and 6 caster
WJ knuckles with JKS spacer
WJ brakes
WJ ball joints (moog)
WJ style steering over the knuckle
JKS tie rod, 1.25x.375" with WJ ends
Custom draglink, 1.25x.188" with high misalignment 1 ton ends
Custom trackbar, 1.25x.250" with RE upper and 7/8" rod end lower, RE bracket+brace
2" Superflex joints for axle UCA bushings
ARB air locker, 30 spline
Alloy-USA 30 spline 4130 inner shafts
Warn 5x5.5 30 spline hub kit
CTM u-joints
Precision 4.88 gears, Precision install kit
Alloy-USA tube seals
U-bolt yoke
Crane CrMo diff cover

Housing1.jpg

Housing2.jpg

steering.jpg

here is my D30, its TnT Trussed, raised trac bar mount, lca skids, will have 4.88s in it and an aussie (and riddler cover) hopefully by winter. if i were to do it all over again, id done a D44 up front. if you have the skills to put a truss on (or in my case paid someone to do it) its not much harder to put the coil mounts and the LCA mounts on. lower gears woulda been awesome...oh well you live and learn. heres mine though:

IMG_4813.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

EDIT - Has a TnT OTK steering setup now

Those all look awesome and I am really starting to figure out what my plans are for it. While Im at it I will definitely get rid of the utk steering and most likely go with a WJ style setup such as Cal's. Sucks b/c this is my dd and I cannot easily start building this while dd'ing my Jeep. I will be running no larger than 35's so I think I will stick with a hp30. If anything changes after that it will be in the very far future...

if i were to do it all over again, id done a D44 up front. if you have the skills to put a truss on (or in my case paid someone to do it) its not much harder to put the coil mounts and the LCA mounts on. lower gears woulda been awesome...oh well you live and learn. heres mine though:

I think the thing the happens with a lot of us with built 30's, is a progression thing based on tire size.
When i first got alloy shafts & a locker i was on 32's. Then i went to 33's and so did a little more work to the turdy, steering etc. Then when i went to 35's i understood that while i would be at the limit of the axle, it was going to be cheaper to add some strength to the housing than to build another axle and steering set up.

Sure if i would of gone from the 29's on my XJ 3 years ago, straight to 37's i wouldnt waste my time with a D30.

IN the future someday will be a 609 or 60, the progression is what i enjoy about the sport. So until then I'm happy with a built turdy on 35's.... it has taken me everywhere Ive wanted to go so far.

I would disagree. I polished the shit out of my 30 and have been flogging it for almost three years now without an issue... and I am *really* hard on my junk.

I am glad for you and I feel better about putting some polish on my D30.

However well built, it will not be as strong as a HP D44. I would dare say that your built axle is as strong as an LP D44

I went with the D30 for the budget reasons that my brakes, and steering could remain unchanged. for now...I also went with the 27 spline ARB for 2 reasons.

1) I do not want the ring and pinion to be weaker than the axle shafts.
stock shafts with either 297 or 760 joints will (should) blow before the ring and pinion. When the ring gear/pinion blows your day is done... crappy, yes but a shaft can be replaced in short order.

2) stock shafts can be had for cheap and at any scrap yard.

However well built, it will not be as strong as a HP D44. I would dare say that your built axle is as strong as an LP D44

I went with the D30 for the budget reasons that my brakes, and steering could remain unchanged. for now...I also went with the 27 spline ARB for 2 reasons.

stock shafts with either 297 or 760 joints will (should) blow before the ring and pinion. When the ring gear/pinion blows your day is done... crappy, yes but a shaft can be replaced in short order.

It depends on where you wheel & the type of terrain. If you wheeled where we do, trust me your stock shafts and u joints would be toast every run.
As long as we dont do something stupid on a big undercut or in reverse, and be a little smart with skinny pedal when bound, the ring gear will hold up just fine.

Last edited:
Those all look awesome and I am really starting to figure out what my plans are for it. While Im at it I will definitely get rid of the utk steering and most likely go with a WJ style setup such as Cal's. Sucks b/c this is my dd and I cannot easily start building this while dd'ing my Jeep. I will be running no larger than 35's so I think I will stick with a hp30. If anything changes after that it will be in the very far future...

I built a 'new' d30 on the side, and swapped it into my jeep in one weekend once it was all done. Mine was a DD as well, at the time.

I would argue that it is EXACTLY as strong as a high pinion 44, unless I'm throttling it bound up in reverse.

Axle yokes (at the CTM) break 20 times for every ring gear break.

That said, i probably wouldn't put 37's on my d30 .. but if I did, I would not be too worried about it.

Good point Cal, do it on the side then swap it in when ready. That would make it easy to take my time and go part by part rather than doing it all at once and dropping alot of coin all at once.

Im building up my D30 for 35s but don't have the cash for the warn conversion.
I've already bought yukon 4.88s and yukon alloy shafts. I really want to run a locker in the front and was leaning towards a detroit. Would this be too much stress? Do i need to go with a selectable instead?

It should be against the law to still call that a D30 Cal :D

hey mg2000 are you in myrtle now? i'd be glad to help out if you need it...you should be fine with 35s im running 36s on my polished turdy(30 spline arb, alloy shafts) fortunately i didnt pay too much for mine, i got it used after my buddy decided to go tons

Back