• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unintentional front swaybar delete

xj88superjeep

NAXJA Forum User
88 Cherokee Limited... Well, While attempting to install my front coil spacers, the swaybar link on the driver's side snapped like a dry twig, and I was surprised when that happened the swaybar was just hanging, so I looked at the other side, and it had already snapped at some point earlier. (I think I felt it snap earlier the same day while driving ironically) So I unbolted the whole thing, failed to get the spacers in because the darn bumpstops are so huge, and I decided to research the tech articles and how to's for more info. So I buttoned everything back up, sans the swaybar, and I love the way it handles now. A little floaty, but pot holes and ruts that used to rattle the whole Jeep are now like driving on glass... like driving a cadillac! LOL :laugh:

xj88superjeep said:
88 Cherokee Limited... Well, While attempting to install my front coil spacers, the swaybar link on the driver's side snapped like a dry twig, and I was surprised when that happened the swaybar was just hanging, so I looked at the other side, and it had already snapped at some point earlier. (I think I felt it snap earlier the same day while driving ironically) So I unbolted the whole thing, failed to get the spacers in because the darn bumpstops are so huge, and I decided to research the tech articles and how to's for more info. So I buttoned everything back up, sans the swaybar, and I love the way it handles now. A little floaty, but pot holes and ruts that used to rattle the whole Jeep are now like driving on glass... like driving a cadillac! LOL :laugh:

sounds like you need a clamshell style spring compressor, make coil replacement as easy as removing the tires, lower shock mounts and swapping springs. 30 minutes job if you stop for a beer break. (with air)

When I ran without a front sway bar and a sharp lefthand corner I could lift the lr wheel off the ground.kinda scary. I finally bought dico's and run it most of the time. especially when towing.

bcmaxx said:
sounds like you need a clamshell style spring compressor.

OUCH! Those things are expensive! The mcpherson strut style was a PITA, and those look like they would be much better. Even without the air. (which I don't have, YET) I will whip her into submission one way or another. Thanks for the heads up on the clamshells!

bcmaxx said:
sounds like you need a clamshell style spring compressor, make coil replacement as easy as removing the tires, lower shock mounts and swapping springs. 30 minutes job if you stop for a beer break. (with air)

When I ran without a front sway bar and a sharp lefthand corner I could lift the lr wheel off the ground.kinda scary. I finally bought dico's and run it most of the time. especially when towing.

if I turn hard I can lift a rear tire... Scary I guess if your not used to it but I think its pretty funny. Dont drive like you stole it all fast and furious style and you be ok

xj88superjeep said:
OUCH! Those things are expensive! The mcpherson strut style was a PITA, and those look like they would be much better. Even without the air. (which I don't have, YET) I will whip her into submission one way or another. Thanks for the heads up on the clamshells!
you can rent them at most tool rental placed, the set I have are made by otc/spx, I'm not a big fan of the (murderkillclamps) they scare the shnit out of me every time I have to use them.

xj88superjeep said:

I just put some coil spacers on the MJ a couple of weeks ago.

So you disconnected the sway bar and the lower shock bolts, right? We also had to undo the trackbar at the axle end.

And the LCAs were hitting on the brackets, preventing the axle from dropping enough. So we undid the LCAs at the axle end.

Then the axle dropped far enough to get the coil spacers on without compressors. I'm not anti-compressors. I've used them in the past. I was just too lazy to run to the parts store. :)

And my swaybar links were too short afterwards. They were hitting the coils. We tried to put on some discos that were laying around, but they were too long. They were hitting the inner wheelwell. So I've been without a front swaybar for two weeks and I don't like it. It doesn't feel anywhere near as stable. Just have to get around to shortening the discos to work.

bcmaxx said:
you can rent them at most tool rental placed, the set I have are made by otc/spx, I'm not a big fan of the (murderkillclamps) they scare the shnit out of me every time I have to use them.

HAHA!! You are not kidding! They walked to one side of the spring while it was compressed, and it bent in half like a deadly slinky! Luckily, I was able to jack the axle back up and save it! I was slightly intimidated the whole rest of the attempt, but did get the spring out, but then could not get the spacer over the bumpstop because of that stupid lip at the end, and did not have enough time to dremmel it down, and still do the other side, and no tool to remove it, so it's on hold till next weekend and me finding that clamshell for rent! As far as the swaybar, I will probably NEVER drive it hard enough to lift a wheel... That's crazy talk! LOL

xjohnnyc said:
I just put some coil spacers on the MJ a couple of weeks ago.

So you disconnected the sway bar and the lower shock bolts, right? We also had to undo the trackbar at the axle end.

And the LCAs were hitting on the brackets, preventing the axle from dropping enough. So we undid the LCAs at the axle end.

Then the axle dropped far enough to get the coil spacers on without compressors.
Was that on a lift? I don't think I could get the axle to drop that far on floor jacks and jackstands even if I did unbolt that many connections. LOL

xj88superjeep said:
failed to get the spacers in because the darn bumpstops are so huge
i had a hard time too. they fit, just use plenty of lube and a hammer... hair spray or grease or anything would probably work fine, but i used gear oil because it was the only thing i had handy... spinning it on helps too. don't expect it to slide on as gently as the coil insulator. i drive with both of my swaybars disco'd all the time too. just don't drive it like a nascar and you'll be fine.

xj88superjeep said:

You should do what I did to put my spacers in, i needed the front end to flex out a lot, so, I winched it up a tree :spin1::spin1::spin1:
n1398781016_30924096_5019.jpg

Sure it was a little dangerous, but hey, it worked like a charm!!!

xj88superjeep said:
Was that on a lift? I don't think I could get the axle to drop that far on floor jacks and jackstands even if I did unbolt that many connections. LOL

Nope, that was on the ground using a floor jack and jackstands.

asp387 said:
i had a hard time too. they fit, just use plenty of lube. hair spray would probably work fine, but i used gear oil because it was the only thing i had handy... spinning it on helps. don't expect it to slide on as gently as the coil insulator. i drive with both of my swaybars disco'd all the time too. just don't drive it like a nascar and you'll be fine.

I lubed it, pounded it, and even tried using exhaust tubing to "push it" over that lip by jacking the axle up under it, and it just lifted the whole truck and still didn't go on. That's when I threw in the towel. I just found out I can get to a bolt under the bump stop bushing inside that cup and unbolt the whole bumpstop. Thanks for all the replies! Every little bit of info and experience from you guys is welcome!

You can rent a strut spring compressor at the parts house for 40 bucks. I put 6 inch coils on by removing the shocks, sway bar links, trac bar, and compressing the springs. Taking the lca's off make it easy, but I hate putting them back on. It is not recomended to use air on a spring compressor.

Not really recommended to use a spring compressor anyways due to the fact that the clamps can quickly slide to one side and it possibly shoot out at you. Best way to do it is get the axle to drop far enough to slide the springs in uncompressed.

I've done it both ways, and I HATE compressing springs! it's scarier than hell!!! I prefer dropping the axle... if you have access to a forklift, that could potentially make it a lot easier. unbolt the LCA on the side you're working on, lift the opposite wheel, put the spring in, drop the truck, and re-bolt the LCA.

Oh yeah we all got forklifts laying around. I have used spring compressors many time with no incident. Most of em have pins that lock the compressor to the spring so it can just shoot out. Slow and easy is the trick. Unbolting the lcas isn't that bad either. I just hate lining the bolts back up. I use a ratchet strap now and it's not that bad.

dfete91 said:
Oh yeah we all got forklifts laying around. I have used spring compressors many time with no incident. Most of em have pins that lock the compressor to the spring so it can just shoot out. Slow and easy is the trick. Unbolting the lcas isn't that bad either. I just hate lining the bolts back up. I use a ratchet strap now and it's not that bad.

Hey man, calm down! haha. if your city has a Regional Occupation center, it likely has some kind of fab/welding class... mine also has forklifts as part of the program. Or you may be able to find a friend with connections... but around here, $50 per year for welders, materials, forklifts, tools, etc. isn't too bad... but that's me!

tayman said:
Hey man, calm down! haha. if your city has a Regional Occupation center, it likely has some kind of fab/welding class... mine also has forklifts as part of the program. Or you may be able to find a friend with connections... but around here, $50 per year for welders, materials, forklifts, tools, etc. isn't too bad... but that's me!

x2 or a community college will let you use all their cool tools too. But coming from a person who has been hit in the forhead by a strut compressor flying off, if you use them use the ones with the safety thing to keep it from flying away.

buzzbombxj said:
x2 or a community college will let you use all their cool tools too. But coming from a person who has been hit in the forhead by a strut compressor flying off, if you use them use the ones with the safety thing to keep it from flying away.

I saw one break once.. I still feel bad for the guy who got hit in the face by the spring.. even though you should NEVER have your head directly over the spring while it's compressed.

been lifting trucks since late 70s never had a need for a compressor . If you jack up the front axle like you were going to change a tire and maybe a little higher put some support under the frame between the TC and the controll arm area remover the front tire . Ooops got ahead of myself ,disconnect the sway bar and one end of the track bar and for good measure disconnect the drag link from the pitman " before ya jack it and break the lugs loose " . After you have the frame supported remove the wheel let the jack down some and remove the bolt on the front of the lower control arm . Lower jack and depending on how high you have the frame lifted you may have to slide the jack out from under the axle so it almost sits on the floor . The spring will about fall out . I have a RE 3.5 coil and a 1.75 spacer in mine and it was cake and I'm 50 some year old man .

Back