• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint Replacement Help

The only thing the puller is good for is the hub not the joints. If the joints dont want to move then get a bigger hammer and pound them out. I tried using a bal joint press and a vise and nothing worked like just using a 3lb hammer and a couple of different sized sockets.

Don't use a 3-jaw puller as you risk pulling the hub apart. The hammer (either sledge or air) to the hub bolts has always worked like a charm for me. I have a set of spare bolts I don't mind mushing.

If you're having that much trouble getting the joints out try heating the ears with a torch and whacking it. Or having a shop do it with a press might be easier - just make sure they guys not an idiot and breaks off the shaft ear (btdt).

What I still dont understand is how the puller will pull the hub into 2 pieces quicker then smacking it with a big hammer. I have done a few different vehicles with the puller and never had a problem.

lawsoncl said:
try heating the ears with a torch and whacking it.
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but you should never use a torch to disassemble parts. You will change the temper of the metal and the parts will eventually fail.

akennedy99 said:
Should I get the puller or just bring it to a shop seeing they are already out. I doubt the shop would be that expensive and would save me a lot of time.

Any other ideas?
I suggest using a shop because they will probably have a hydraulic press that will make short work of it.

jeeperjohn said:
I suggest using a shop because they will probably have a hydraulic press that will make short work of it.

Yea I am thinking that becuase I am using my gf's dad's garage and it is kinda scarce of tools, and I am like 6 hours away from mine and only have 2 wheels right now. Maybe I'll do a wheelie the whole way home :guitar:

texinteg said:
What I still dont understand is how the puller will pull the hub into 2 pieces quicker then smacking it with a big hammer. I have done a few different vehicles with the puller and never had a problem.

Using a 3-jaw puller on the outer section of the hub, pushing against the end of the axle shaft can pull the hub apart. It's only a press fit. Here's a prime example - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=923615 .

jeeperjohn said:
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but you should never use a torch to disassemble parts. You will change the temper of the metal and the parts will eventually fail.

I guess I should have said get it hot, but not red-hot.

Let me see if I can put this into words. There's a great trick for getting rusty ujoints out but it's hard to describe. Pull all the clips, obviously. Then open up a sturdily mounted vise so one of the axle ears drops down in. Close the gap but don't actually tighten down the vise, we're using it only for support here, not as a press. Now one of the shafts is resting across the vise jaws while the other is hanging down, supported by the ujoint. Strike the side facing up behind the ujoint cap, the hammer blow will go straight down. A couple good whacks will dislodge the cap- the shaft will go down while the ujoint body stays in the same place.

Clear as mud? This works really well on even the most stubborn ujoints.

akennedy99 said:
Yea I got a 99, but I live in New England... sooooo it is probably pretty rusty.

I really don't feel like seperating hubs so this may be the best way becuase to use the 3 jaw puller you must remove the hubs correct?

Although there is a Harbor Freight in the town next to me and there is a sale on the electric impact wrench and the u-joint press. I have not decided what way I want to do it yet.

Opinions?

I'm from Minnesota, and stuff get's plenty rusty here. I just got 3 normal bolts of the right size (don't remember off the top of my head) and put them in to beat on. Came off easier than the knuckle did off the ball joints. :)

Back