• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turbo kit feeler

jragan said:
I would be interested in all the details. Additional torque, HP, how simple it install. Have a 242 TC I am holding for a road jeep at some point. Turbo on it would be awsome.

So im not the ONLY wierdo wanting a turbo road XJ... :yap:

well this was a when i had time project. since there is this much interest it has moved up on the list. ill have something done in a week or so prolly wont have dyno numbers by then but will have everything mocked up ill keep you all posted

Hey Bryson, let me know in the future about the manifold--my brother has an AIResearch M11 sitting in my parent's shed. I connected the PSC1-002 up to my 96 today, but my Ubuntu-run(Linux with Wine-windows emulator)laptop's serial input wasn't working correctly so I couldn't communicate with it. Luckily I used male&female connectors for the MAP so I could swap it back in.

gradon said:
Hey Bryson, let me know in the future about the manifold--my brother has an AIResearch M11 sitting in my parent's shed. I connected the PSC1-002 up to my 96 today, but my Ubuntu-run(Linux with Wine-windows emulator)laptop's serial input wasn't working correctly so I couldn't communicate with it. Luckily I used male&female connectors for the MAP so I could swap it back in.

Definetly. I should have the design built within a month for sure. How big is that M11? I honestly wouldn't reccomend running a turbo smaller than a T3/T4 (57 trim with a .63ar housing) capable of 400-500hp. The turbo that 505 is running (super 60 T3) is simply way too small for a 4.0l. If you do a compressor map match, the 4.0L is at the edge of the surge line of a super 60 compressor, even at low RPM and low boost. That means that past that RPM or boost level, the compressor is choking and actually becoming a restriction.

I will actually be running a Borg Warner S360 with a very large T3 turbine on my 99. It's a 500hp turbo but will still spool like a SC and provide much more power at low boost levels. I firmly beleive that if tuned well, a stock 4.0L can easily handle 300hp 350+tq (based off of SC #s, engine geometry, and build quality). This is about the power level I will be looking for. h

I've noticed some things with your list. Let me see if I can help.

1.turbo
2.wstegate
- Are you going internal or external? An internal will make it easier and cheaper to sell a kit, but an external will help power and allow a more stable boost curve. If your going external, I'd reccomend a Tial 38mm.
3.charge piping
- Your going to want to include a BOV with the kit.
4.exhaust tubing
5.rise rate fuel regulator
6.drill bit for oil feed line
7.tap for oil feed line
- You don't need to tap a hole for the oil feed line. Simply run a 1/8npt Tee off the oil sender port, and run a 3an line to the turbo.
8.timing light
- I'm not sure why, but you don't need to include one. I hope your not planning on retarding base timing. Not only would the motor not like that, but the ECU will freak out.
9.oil feed lines and t
10.oil filter relocation kit
- You don't need to relocate the filter, unless your doing this solely for fitment purposes.
11.bolts
12.spark plugs
- Definetly make sure they are 1 heat range colder.

I think your kit is a great start, but I think you'll find your going to need to include more than what you thought (so people don't blow it up, and blame you). Because of this, I'm willing to bet your going to need to sell the kit for over $2,000 if you'd like to make any real profit. I highly highly highly reccomend including the split second FTC1, or a MSD BTM with the kit.

BTW, heres some pics if your interested...

My personal CRX (350whp time attack race car). It has a twin scrowl ball bearing Garrett GT30/40.
IMG_2095.JPG

A customer's 600whp street car:

outside2.jpg

A customer's 10 second, stock block race car:

l_5749f80a72470e4e9eb7319beae3febc.jpg

If you need any help, you can definetly PM or email me. :)

gradon said:

ubuntu doesn't do this automagically
I had to do it manually like in the old days.(like way back in 2005)

cd ~/.wine/dosdevices

ln -s /dev/ttyS0 com1

ln -s /dev/ttyS1 com2

wine still sometimes flakes out on serial devices but mostly works.

Bryson said:
Yeah it will. The ECU simply can't compensate enough.
It's not so much as can't compensate, but rather can't even measure the boost right? The stock MAP sensor is a 1-atmosphere unit, so it's going to be maxed out as soon as you get any boost. O2 sensor reading might help in closed-system mode, but that goes out the window as soon as you hit WOT and the ECM uses the internal maps. You'd need to swap in a 2-atm unit at the very least and either reprogram the computer or change injectors as a crude way of recalibrating.

For the cost, I think I'd rather have a stroked motor instead.

lawsoncl said:
It's not so much as can't compensate, but rather can't even measure the boost right? The stock MAP sensor is a 1-atmosphere unit, so it's going to be maxed out as soon as you get any boost. O2 sensor reading might help in closed-system mode, but that goes out the window as soon as you hit WOT and the ECM uses the internal maps. You'd need to swap in a 2-atm unit at the very least and either reprogram the computer or change injectors as a crude way of recalibrating.

For the cost, I think I'd rather have a stroked motor instead.

Actually some maps sensors can read slightly over 0 vaccum, so you could say that the ECU can compensate a "little." But your completely right. If the sensor sees even 1lb of boost, it will throw a CEL. One way to get rid of that problem is with one way valves inline with the sensor, but you'd still need some form of tuning.

As for the stroker, thats obviously a matter of opinion. BUT, a nice turbo setup has some great advantages like:

- stock (or better) gas mileage with no load
- much more power than any SC or stroker setup
- easily tuneable on E85

just to name a few.

Bryson said:
- stock (or better) gas mileage with no load
- much more power than any SC or stroker setup
- easily tuneable on E85

just to name a few.

Will the easily tuneable on e85 comment mean that you could actually make up for the power/mileage loss from e85?

Subscribing,Very interested:party:

DeftwillP said:
Will the easily tuneable on e85 comment mean that you could actually make up for the power/mileage loss from e85?

Not entirely because the mole to mole ratio isn't exactly 1:1. BUT, and a big but...E85 is effectively 102-105 octane (depending on where you get it and what time of the year) which allows you to run more timing and reduces cylinder temps. You can't get back the exact same gas mileage as you would be on regular gas, but you can get close if tuned it properly. Factor in that you'd need to be running at least premium with a turbo setup, which makes E85 even more attractive (2.50 vs 4.00). Pretty easy choice. :)

Last edited:
Back