• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turbo kit feeler

jeep/bronco

NAXJA Forum User
how many of you would be interested in a simple bolt-on turbo kit for the 4.0
for roughly 1200-1400. we are building one for mine right now so im not sure about what kinda numbers we will get out of it yet. but i was just wondering if there would be an interest in the xj community

what year XJ?

any pictures involving progress?

for a daily driver i would be interested.

Well, I wouldn't buy one, but I think it is a good idea. But as Rag said, what years? Are the exhaust side of the head the same for all versions of the 4.0? Or are you building a kit that bolts to the rear of the exhaust system (seen some twin turbo setups on Mustangs that replace the mufflers with turbos and run a TON of piping underneath that helps cooling almost in place of the Intercooler).

im building 2 kits right now 1 for my 89 xj and 1 for my 2000 wj. we were doing just my my personal use but i went my turbo guy talked me into tryng to mass market it as a kit so i figured id see what you all thought. no it will not be a kit like the s&s it turbo will actually be on the opposite side of exhaust manifold

I would buy a kit for a renix, they're my favorite design by far. but how do you expect to manage fuel?

I would perfer a cheep super charger myself, less spool time, less heat and more bottom end

as far as fuel management goes we are gonna test run the first kit at 6lbs that "should" not lean out. however it might, if it does we will add on a fuel managment system. as far as supercharging goes i have nothing bad to say about going that route but with the t3/t04e we are using and feeding it with 6 cyl there will be very little lag if any.

jeep/bronco said:
as far as fuel management goes we are gonna test run the first kit at 6lbs that "should" not lean out. however it might, if it does we will add on a fuel managment system. as far as supercharging goes i have nothing bad to say about going that route but with the t3/t04e we are using and feeding it with 6 cyl there will be very little lag if any.

Wrong. You have a map sensor, thus you need some form of engine management system. Look into the FTC1. Even 1psi of boost from a T3/T4 will cause it to lean out substantially.

Who is your "turbo guy" if you don't mind me asking?

I'm also a little confused by your "on the opposite side of the exhaust manifold" turbo mounting. Do you mean the kit will mount like the 505 kit? If so, how do you plan on fitting an up pipe along with a decent sized down pipe.

I've actually TIG'd a 304 sch40 log manifold for the 4.0, but the fitment wasn't as good as what I had hoped. Thankfully, I am now ready to tackle a new design I've come up with :chef:

Good luck!

chris peevey he owns complete turbo hes one of the largest turbo rebuilders in the country. as far as the fuel management goes we just got finished building a 2.3 ranger and it did not need fuel management at 6 lbs but it did need larger injectors but the stock ecu works fine we are gonna swap in a turbo ecu once it gets here. this is a project we started a couple days ago so there are alot of details that are not worked out. its not something that would be for sale for a while i was just wanting to see if there was any interest in a kit.
when you say 505 im not sure what you mean. as far as how we are going to route the piping we have not decided on that exactly i wanna go one way he wants to go another.

I'm interested. 6 psia will about bring it back to sea level pressure for me.

Fred

Ahh cool. Well is the ranger a MAF or MAP management system? Most MAF systems can get away with some low boost because the MAF will compensate slightly for the increased amount of air flow. As for the MAP, you'll simply end up with a CEL and running in limp mode. However, if he got that ranger put on a dyno with a wideband I'm sure without a doubt it'll show it's running lean. You also have to take into account the timing factor as well. There needs to be some way to retard timing in proportion to the boost.

As for the 505 kit, it mounts the turbo on the distributor side of the motor and as far as I can tell will not work on the cherokee without a lot of unibody cutting. There simply isn't enough room to get the down pipe/up pipe past the trans/body.

I'm the owner of Boostwerks.com (site's currently in construction, but pics are available). I don't rebuild turbo's, but I do focus entirely on building custom turbo setups. I've been planning on building a kit for about a year now, but have put it on hold due to the development of several other applications. However, my new manifold design is the next thing on my list. :)

Fred said:
I'm interested. 6 psia will about bring it back to sea level pressure for me.

Fred

Actually only 2psi would bring you back to sea level, but that also doesn't take into account the amount of air the compressor would be flowing at that boost level. If the turbo is large enough, 2psi might produce even more power than being N/A at sea level;)

It shouldn't lean out if the ecu can compensate enough. Surely there is a simple way to convert the air flow to correct it anyway?

i honestly dont know im not the turbo guru i just let him turbo about everything i have had in the past few years.
yea its very tight in there thats the main challenge if i do market a kit i want it to be a simple bolt in kit something anyone can do in a good sat. if you need a turbo supplier there are literally a racks and racks of turbos stacked up there everything from a tiny turbo off a generator to huge turbos that come off planes so if you are looking for anything let me know

i do have a simple vacuum fmu that i will throw on if it leans out

Bryson said:
Actually only 2psi would bring you back to sea level, but that also doesn't take into account the amount of air the compressor would be flowing at that boost level. If the turbo is large enough, 2psi might produce even more power than being N/A at sea level;)

Closer to 3 psia, actually, where it's parked. It spends considerable time up above 10,000 feet.

Fred

Twicepardoned said:
It shouldn't lean out if the ecu can compensate enough. Surely there is a simple way to convert the air flow to correct it anyway?

Yeah it will. The ECU simply can't compensate enough. Even a low amount of boost out of a decent sized turbo is going to require a substantial amount of fuel increase due to the lower safe fuel ratio it should be running (12:1 compared to 13:1 under load).

There is a simple way...It's called an aftermarket engine management system ;)

i honestly dont know im not the turbo guru i just let him turbo about everything i have had in the past few years.
yea its very tight in there thats the main challenge if i do market a kit i want it to be a simple bolt in kit something anyone can do in a good sat. if you need a turbo supplier there are literally a racks and racks of turbos stacked up there everything from a tiny turbo off a generator to huge turbos that come off planes so if you are looking for anything let me know

i do have a simple vacuum fmu that i will throw on if it leans out

Sounds good man. Thanks for the referal! :)

an FMU isn't an ideal method for enrichment, but it is FAR better than nothing. However, I would be more concerned about timing than fuel at this point. Look up the Split Second FTC1 if you can. It can control fuel and timing. If you'd like to run your FMU however, pick up an MSD BTM. It'll allow you to retard the timing per psi.

And for anyone that doesn't know already... Turboing a factory N/A motor is probubly the most fun you could ever have if done properlly. :loveu:

Bryson said:
Turboing a factory N/A motor is probubly the most fun you could ever have if done properlly. :loveu:

I'll trade you monies if you turbo my future renix dailydriver :laugh:

Bryson said:
... Turboing a factory N/A motor is probubly the most fun you could ever have if done properlly. :loveu:
yes it is until your racing a civic and the vacuum line pops off the wastegate that happened to the 2.3 ranger the second test run apparently one of the guys that was helping us did not tighten the clamp down
on an added note you have to take in consideration that we were having a party and at midnight we decided to take the beer to the shop and put a turbo on the ranger by 4 or so the next morning we had a burnt piston now motor is torn apart getting a volvo head and crwer rod and all kinds of goodies to hold 20 or so lbs (supposedly)

I would be interested in all the details. Additional torque, HP, how simple it install. Have a 242 TC I am holding for a road jeep at some point. Turbo on it would be awsome.

Back