• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Fluid Questions (AW4)

I have used this method for decades when not changing the filter. It gets out just about all the old ATF.

Drain the pan and refill with fresh ATF.
Pull the cooler return line and connect it to a clear hose. Stick the end of the hose into a 1-gallon jug.
Start and idle the engine until 1 quart or so comes out and then turn the engine off. A helper is useful but not necessary, as the oil is not pumped out very quickly when idling.
Add the same amount of ATF to the transmission filler as what was pumped out.
Make sure to keep an eye on the jug so you do not over fill it.
Repeat the above until the fluid, in the hose, changes from a dirty color to clean. You will see the difference.
Top off the trans fluid, reconnect the cooler line and you are done.
Seal the jugs of used ATF and recycle them at your local auto parts store.

You do use a couple quarts more than what the FSM says the trans holds as the extra ATF flushes the old oil out of the torque converter.
If done right, there is nothing about this that can cause the transmission harm.
[FONT=&quot]It is not the same as power flushing.[/FONT]

Hey, I hit quote on the other thread, then cut and pasted from there. Is that purtier Stewie? Thanks for the assistance in higher learning!

I'm with you on this Winterbeater. I have used links to other threads, but if Stewie trains up properly then us old dogs can learn a new trick.

Hey, I hit quote on the other thread, then cut and pasted from there. Is that purtier Stewie? Thanks for the assistance in higher learning!

So, you have hit the quote, then scroll down and highlight the quote, then copy the quote, then return to the target thread and paste the quote?

Yeah, but you need to cut the quote, not just copy it. So that it doesn't repost in the other thread. So you hit quote button, highlight and cut from the new post created, then return to the target thread and paste.

I suppose using CAPS is not for the beginning of a sentence anymore, but just to yell at people. LMFAO

Now I'm embarrassed.... I guess I'll have to learn how to work the quote thingie. Ain't nobody as old as me and I figured I was the only one on the entire forum that didn't know how to do it! I did use "LOL" once but it didn't look right. LOL LOL LOL

Now can someone explain what Twittering is, although in truth I really don't want to know.

Yeah, but you need to cut the quote, not just copy it. So that it doesn't repost in the other thread. So you hit quote button, highlight and cut from the new post created, then return to the target thread and paste.

I suppose using CAPS is not for the beginning of a sentence anymore, but just to yell at people. LMFAO

Have you tried just copying? I figured if I left a thread without hitting "submit" it would just go away. Gotta try it!

Can you quote from other threads? I though that the quote would only take the quote to the end of the thread you are in. Hey, I'm an old man who would rather fix a car than a computer. An I wrong? I'm still not to old to learn (at least I'll try). How do you quote from a different thread?

sure can

alot butifuller

So, you have hit the quote, then scroll down and highlight the quote, then copy the quote, then return to the target thread and paste the quote?

yep. works for me all the time

cutting instead of copying works too. i havent had too much of a problems with it. and yep ALL CAPS its to yell or otherwise put emphasis on something. but caps on the beginning of a sentice works well for
Edit: blah blah blah etc

it all helps people be on the same page that you are on. but then some of us arent even in the same book, like me!

Duh, atf+4 goes in all chrysler trannys, the aw4 is NOT a chrysler tranny. It is a toyota tranny. (iirc)

Duh, atf+4 goes in all chrysler trannys, the aw4 is NOT a chrysler tranny. It is a toyota tranny. (iirc)

Double Duh, read the thread, Chrysler NOW says ATF +4 goes in the AW4.

Double Duh, read the thread, Chrysler NOW says ATF +4 goes in the AW4.
Uh.....
........ The previous MOPAR ATF+3® formulation was discontinued in 2005 and ATF+4® is recommended for all transmissions filled with ATF+3®.”
There is an important exception for Jeep owners. As Danny noted, "The Jeep AW-4 (Aisin-Warner) transmission should use Dexron III."...........
----------Hans

Im not saying anything that has been said is wrong. Its not. But when I put dexlll in my jeep I almost lost my transmission. Burnt up the fluid and slipped really bad. Not sure why.

So I put in ATF+4 full synthetic. I cant tell you how much better it ran. When using Dexlll I changed it out 4 times with no change. Changed it once to ATF+4, ran like new agian. It has worked great for a couple years now.

Thank you for your anecdotal experience.

Search is your friend for further examples. Some people don't have problems, some do.

I think the service bulletin - fully explained and quoted - is quite clear. AW4 transmissions use DEXIII or the later upgrades. ATF+4 is not listed on the bottle as a replacement for DEXIII in my store, and I'm not recommending it for any AW4's. I won't put it in mine, either, unless it's the last bottle on the shelf.

Regardless of a what a service bulletin written for the dealer says, we have over 20 years of dealing with the DEXIII issue in AW4's. Thats what Aisin recommends and designed it for - NOT ATF-4. I think it was -3 back then - and that wasn't recommended.

If you could swap fluids and use what you want, the owner's manual would say so - and the engineers would build them to use anything. They don't. There are different fluids for different transmissions. Most dealers don't see 20 year old Cherokees in the shop. I'm putting my money on what they did stock when mine was new - DEX III.

I use it in the power steering, too.

Im not saying anything that has been said is wrong. Its not. But when I put dexlll in my jeep I almost lost my transmission. Burnt up the fluid and slipped really bad. Not sure why.

So I put in ATF+4 full synthetic. I cant tell you how much better it ran. When using Dexlll I changed it out 4 times with no change. Changed it once to ATF+4, ran like new agian. It has worked great for a couple years now.

What year is yours? Is it the AW4?

Didn't intend for this to become a debate over fluid types. I was just trying to see what method of changing the fluid without a shop or pump worked best for everyone here and to see if it was possible, for a short time, to mix the fluids while in the process of changing over to the correct fluid.

I know that ATF is not what should go into these AW4 transmission. I don't care if it works, the maker knows what belongs in their products because they spent the R&D time and money to prove it. I will only use DEXIII in my AW4 and that's why I asked the question. ATF won't cause it to explode for a while because some lubrication and cleaning will occur, but in the long term it will lead to problems that could have been avoided. Plus, DEX is the cheapest thing on the shelf locally. So why spend money that isn't necessary? Just buy a spare AW4. I got this one for pocket change. They are abundant. That's still not a reason to risk their longevity and run ATF to me...

if it was possible, for a short time, to mix the fluids while in the process of changing over to the correct fluid.

Yes, probably Ok. If it acts funky afterwards maybe another flush would clear it up.

Yes Vagrant, AW4's and its lubricant always turn into a debate over what have to be used and what others are using.

In answer to your question, I flush by removing the return hose from the oil cooler to the transmission.

I put the end of the hose in a one gallon or larger container (one that I can see through to check the level).

Start the engine. The open hose will pump the oil into the container. While the oil is being pumped out, I try to replace it as fast as possible by pouring new oil into the fill tube. The see-through container allow me to see how much oil is pumped out so I could shut off the engine before making a mess.

Be sure to replace the oil that is pumped out with the new oil of choice.

The AW4 should take about 8 quarts of oil to fill the torque converter and the rest of the unit. I did my XJ twice in two weeks when I first bought it using 12 quarts each time.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back