• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler install mini write up

natep1

NAXJA Forum User
I figured I would post a mini write up since I had to r/r just about everything under the hood.

Here is how I installed an inline aux. trans cooler & temp gauge on my 00XJ.

This line is the input (from trans to rad) line. It is a hard line which I had to cut (see arrow). I used a tubing cutter for a clean cut & flared the end for a better seal

DSCF0008e1.jpg

This is the input line to the aux cooler

This is where the input line connects to the radiator. This is the other end of the hardline I cut. This is where the aux. trans cooler flow enters the radiator.
(There is normally a clamp in place)

DSCF0009e.jpg

The fittings/hose ends. I put new fittings on since the old ones were marred.
DSCF0011e.jpg

The installed cooler(not strapped in)
DSCF0012e.jpg

This is where I get my trans temp signal. This is before the cooler and radiator.
I keep a piece of pipe insulation around it so it doesn't contact the body.

DSCF0008e2.jpg

The auxilary fam is controlled by my primary fans thermostat (it has two outputs) and turns on when the main fan does.

The cooler is overkill but, I got a heck of a deal on it.
Any questions ask away

Both. I kept the in radiator one plus the massive fan cooled beast on the front.

Are you worried at all about blocking flow to the radiator, or would the pusher fan remedy any ill effects? I see you are in the north, so it may not matter.

I haven't actually used it the summer yet. I don't see it being a problem but I will be keeping an eye on it.
This cooler is bigger than what I needed/ordered but a shipping error & retailer offer to keep it for the price of the cooler I ordered made it a keeper.

i installed mine infront of the mechanical fan so there is always air flow in by the cooler with your setup unless you fan is switched on cooling will be limited.

The aux. cooler fan switches on when the main does, ~200 coolant temp. (I have dual electric).
I also have a switch that to turn the fan(s) on at will.

Mount the gauge in that big empty panel to the right of the instrument panel. On some models there's a clock in the top section but the main part of the panel is hollow behind.

radio_hvac.jpg

Hmmm....well....you're on your own then. :D Although doesn't the 97+ have a similar void in the dash?

I have it on the A pillar in an Autometer dual guage pod. Doesn't look bad but you can definately tell it is not o.e.m.

Back