• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Advice

ja6uvydu.jpg

This is how I roll. 3rd gen 29' goose neck.

Would you put another jeep ( so 2 jeeps) on the trailer and go 1,200 miles round trip?

I didn't go far that day just about 12 miles or so. No I would tow 1200 with the old setup. But with what I'm building now I maybe able to. I use to tow my old rv trailer all over the place. It scaled right at 4800 loaded to camp with water.
uvugy5ed.jpg

I didn't go far that day just about 12 miles or so. No I would tow 1200 with the old setup. But with what I'm building now I maybe able to. I use to tow my old rv trailer all over the place. It scaled right at 4800 loaded to camp with water.
uvugy5ed.jpg

Yes but that's not 13-14k and more then 1,000lb Tongue weight...

An XJ can tow just as much as an 06 LTZ.. That's what I'm getting at.

Death wish!

After talking to my buddies today in the motor pool, I stand retarded.

Yes, I might use the burb for some local wheelin' but towing two with it that far will kill your truck or kill you.

Go big or go home.

Rent a U-haul truck and beat the crap out of their equipment. I'm sure you can find a 3/4 ton pick up truck for rent for a reasonable cost.

Back when I moved from VA to WA truck rental was only $1500. Yes it was a gasser (ford F350 V10). but it was a rental and I left it sloppy and in pain. Not my problem.

After talking to my buddies today in the motor pool, I stand retarded.

Yes, I might use the burb for some local wheelin' but towing two with it that far will kill your truck or kill you.

Go big or go home.

Rent a U-haul truck and beat the crap out of their equipment. I'm sure you can find a 3/4 ton pick up truck for rent for a reasonable cost.

Back when I moved from VA to WA truck rental was only $1500. Yes it was a gasser (ford F350 V10). but it was a rental and I left it sloppy and in pain. Not my problem.
I debated back and forth, For one, I thought a 2006 Suburban would weigh 7500lbs.. and secondly, when i think of a suburban, I think of something as big and potent as an Excursion.. And i would have no problem towing 12k pounds behind a v10/Pwrstrke But it's just not the case.. I searched, and searched.. a half ton suburban is an oversize Minivan with a light frame.. and they dont even really offer a "real" 3/4 ton version anymore..

Honestly, I retract my statement of being comfortable towing an 18ft with a single jeep with the specs i'm reading..

A friend of mine had a 35 foot bumper pull car hauler he used to transport dealer cars, towed it with an F-350 or any other dually he would buy at the auctions. He burnt through about 1 10k hitch a week, and the farthest he went was portland from albany. I finally talked him into a super hitch set up and the dual receiver 14k stinger. Never bent it.

They use to make a one ton Suburban, I have no idea when they stopped. My buddy in California had a 93 with a 454, it was gutless, I used it to tow my Corvette on a UHaul trailer it towed okay, but like I said gutless. Trailer breaks would have been nice too.

They use to make a one ton Suburban, I have no idea when they stopped. My buddy in California had a 93 with a 454, it was gutless, I used it to tow my Corvette on a UHaul trailer it towed okay, but like I said gutless. Trailer breaks would have been nice too.

They make all sorts of crazy Suburbans. Where I work they have maybe 20 of them from 5.3l to 8.1l with the Allison transmission also diesels.

Ive driven my Jeep to Moab and back for the last two EJS. In 2011 I was on the trail for 5 days straight and in 2012 it was 8 days straight. There's some major bragging rights for being able to say you drove there, wheeled hard, and drove home! With that said I did have a back up plan if things did happen to hit the fan like it almost did here.
222014_167964109928451_3215145_n.jpg

An empty credit card to rent a truck and trailer with. Worst case I figured I could rent a 24 foot U-haul and just loaded the Jeep into the back.

If it was me I would just worry about having your Jeep ready for the trip. The drive to the Rubicon/Tahoe is an easy days drive from Portland and if you do have any issues help is just a phone call away all along I-5.

Not to mention that it's a lot safer then overloading a tow rig. Just my two cents. :cheers:

I dont think they ever made the Suburban as a factory option.

I totally agree, I would drive down, my plan would be to have my old roommate meet me in Reno with is 3500 Express van with a diesel engine. Then if I broke I could go rent a trailer, leave my Cherokee at his house fly home, pay him to fix it, then fly down later to pick it up.

Let me clear the air here before some of you jump out of your skin, or strat throwing a hissy fit more than you already are.
:smsoap:
I never said "this" is what WE ARE going to do...I stated "this" is what we WANT to do, and asked for advice on
1.) if it was feasible ....
2.) if so, then what kind of trailer requirements are needed....
3.) ..and where one might be able to rent such a trailer, or if these sort of sevices even existed.

I also was very clear that I/we have NINE months to plan this whole thing out. I personally am very much aware of risk, danger, etc.... Hell we ALL Take a risk when we drive our 6.5+" lifted cherokees on 35's and a 3 link down the freeway or even more so down a two lane highway.... a single front tire blowout, and someone or multiple someone's are going to the hospital....plain and simple. Some of us take more risk than other's... thats just life.
MY bottom line is not how much gas money I'm going to spend, or how long its going to take to drive there, or how many rigs are going.
IT's HOW two rigs are going to be able to be towed down there at one time. This thread was meant to be an exchange of ideas on this, and not a place to lecture, vent or criticize others for their sharing of ideas, or what they have done in the past. :nono:

Rent a U-haul truck and park the jeep in the container, and tow the XJ down there on a trailer.

This has been the Plan "B" from the beginning....and in fact more than a couple of us have thought about this for one trip or another.
"Great minds think alike"

Yes but that's not 13-14k and more then 1,000lb Tongue weight...
An XJ can tow just as much as an 06 LTZ.. That's what I'm getting at.
Actually it can only tow HALF. My buddy's LTZ is rated (with the installed equipment) to tow 10k..most from the specs posted earlier are rated to tow (from the factory) at lest 7k
A Cherokee (stock) is rated to tow 5k
(At least according to the specs I've read: http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/cherokee/1999/features-specs.html?style=6185 )

I'm not talking about your truck.. I'm talking about josh, I think he's still thinking he's going to use a burb to tow 2 jeeps.
AGAIN.... I was curious to see if it was possible.
Yes...if it WAS, and it was SAFE to do so, that would be ideal....
But AGAIN, the point of this thread was an exchange of ideas....
"here's what we would like to do" ...and....
1.) if it was feasible ....
2.) if so, then what kind of trailer requirements are needed....
3.) ..and where one might be able to rent such a trailer, or if these sort of sevices even existed.

These questions and more have been answered.
I thank all of those who have constructively participated in this.

Death wish!
See....thats just unnecessary.....

See....thats just unnecessary.....

^
Truth
Your a bad person if you think you can pull it off.

Just out of Curiosity what did your buddy do to his 1/2 SUV to bump up the tow rating 3k? (Keep in mind 7k is with load bars 5k without)

And your research of the XJ dose no give you the "load bar" factor so with load bars you can bump 2k and 4-500lbs on the ball.

So XJ and 06 LTZ same to rating... Just sayin

Last edited:
^
Truth
Your a bad person if you think you can pull it off.

Just out of Curiosity what did your buddy do to his 1/2 SUV to bump up the tow rating 3k? (Keep in mind 7k is with load bars 5k without)

And your research of the XJ dose no give you the "load bar" factor so with load bars you can bump 2k and 4-500lbs on the ball.

So XJ and 06 LTZ same to rating... Just sayin

Iirc both the 6.0 1/2 tons at work say 10k on the hitch. And the 2500 I worked on Friday said 12k and it's got a 6.0l also.

Nic where I work we have about 20 of these things from 5.3l to 8.1 and diesels. We have one that's a 2wd 6lug 2500 and a 4wd 6.5l diesel 1500 that's an 8 lug wheel.

Next week I'm going to locate as many of them as I can and check their tow ratings.

Iirc both the 6.0 1/2 tons at work say 10k on the hitch. And the 2500 I worked on Friday said 12k and it's got a 6.0l also.

Nic where I work we have about 20 of these things from 5.3l to 8.1 and diesels. We have one that's a 2wd 6lug 2500 and a 4wd 6.5l diesel 1500 that's an 8 lug wheel.

Next week I'm going to locate as many of them as I can and check their tow ratings.

If its not an LTZ it does not count

THIS is what i'm talking about!!!!
(sorry to hear about your friend Icemans)
You remember roughly what your fuel costs were for the trip?

I spent around $750 in fuel round trip. The whole trip cost me $3k but that was everything for me and the rest of my family (4 total.) I wish I could go to the Rubicon maybe in the next couple years.

Back