• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Head Offroad (THOR) Cowl Induction Cold Air Intake

Well right now, I'm a PFC (Private F*ing Civilian) but I was 6432...Avionics...how long ago were you in CFR here?
no no no, 7011 is EAF (expeditionary airfield services), they set aircraft traps and lay am2, stuff like that.... CFR (crash fire rescue/aircraft rescue and firefighting) is different, mos 7051, thats what i was just got out...now im 1st Civ Div:peace::greensmok:patriot:

ok back to your regularly scheduled programming

no no no, 7011 is EAF (expeditionary airfield services), they set aircraft traps and lay am2, stuff like that.... CFR (crash fire rescue/aircraft rescue and firefighting) is different, mos 7051, thats what i was just got out...now im 1st Civ Div:peace::greensmok:patriot:

yup right on I was in Beaufort from 98-00 ish spent a good chunk of it in Norway and Hungary (Kosovo) we worked hand in hand in crashcrew who was your OIC in Beaufort it wasnt Gray was it?

Sorry hijack over

also i really like the intake for the newer cherokees If you get one def want to see pics of install

yup right on I was in Beaufort from 98-00 ish spent a good chunk of it in Norway and Hungary (Kosovo) we worked hand in hand in crashcrew who was your OIC in Beaufort it wasnt Gray was it?
Sorry hijack over
i wasnt in beaufort, i was stationed in new river from 06-10..went to al anbar (ramadi/fallujah) in 07 then i was all over the shah wali kot district of kandahar afgan at the end of 09 and some of this year
You two guys ever hit up militaryjeepers.com?
nope never been there

My bad...saw where it said aircraft recovery and assumed CFR. 1st civ div is the best!!!:cool:

If you guys are done with the non-hijack, :D Back on topic, I have a THOR that I just recieved that I won't be using that I would sell at a loss. $150. Nothing has been installed.

PM me if interested.

FNF

If you guys are done with the non-hijack, :D Back on topic, I have a THOR that I just recieved that I won't be using that I would sell at a loss. $150. Nothing has been installed.

PM me if interested.

FNF

This is no longer available. Talk to Mike, the main man with THOR, I have not found a more responsive vendor. He will be honest and strait with you. As for my situation, I just decided to go another route.

FNF

Im a little confused as to how this would provide any more benefit than a regular CAI. My thoughts were in regard to how a regular cowl type hood works, by creating a negative pressure area at the back end of the opening to "pull" out the hot hair from the engine bay. That said, wouldnt putting the intake there be a bad idea for that reason? Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but the location of the opening seems like it would be in that negative pressure area.

Im a little confused as to how this would provide any more benefit than a regular CAI. My thoughts were in regard to how a regular cowl type hood works, by creating a negative pressure area at the back end of the opening to "pull" out the hot hair from the engine bay. That said, wouldnt putting the intake there be a bad idea for that reason? Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but the location of the opening seems like it would be in that negative pressure area.

actually, it's the opposite. A cowl induction hood actually pulls in air from the opening at the cowl due to the high pressure area there. That's why drag cars use them, not for heat removal. The heat only leaves that area at low speeds, which is why hood vents and such put back there are only useful at trail speeds and worthless at high speeds.

Tape some pieces of yarn or string at various spots around your hood, cowl and windshield and see what they do at various speeds. Kinda interesting.

I could be wrong also but I think the main intent is not to ram charge the air but to move the intake out of the heat of the engine compartment. Secondly, the intake is nearly a foot above that of most intakes making it better in water crossing.

FNF

My main interest would be for water crossing. I would like a system that is high enough to lessen the chances of sucking water in. Yes I know snorkels are out there, but 1) I can't run the Safari because my fenders are cut too high 2) I won't deface my XJ with a poop pipe snorkel 3) The other brand snorkel is hard to get & $400. If this can be modified to exit outside the cowl in a low profile snorkel, then my problem could be solved. (Or was this handled in the beginning of the thread? It's been a while ...)

I don't think there was any discussion of snorklels. In this case, water high enough to come over the hood would come in the intake at the windshield. In fact, because there is no seal, the water intake level would be at the base of the cowl box, about 6" lower than the top of the cowl. In real world situations, I doubt that there would be enough volume of water comming in around the engine and through the gaps around the intake shroud to get into the engine but if you were to stall out or become stuck it could be a problem. IMO

FNF

I could be wrong also but I think the main intent is not to ram charge the air but to move the intake out of the heat of the engine compartment. Secondly, the intake is nearly a foot above that of most intakes making it better in water crossing.

FNF

Exactly!!! That's why I'm wanting one, not to have the ram air effect.

I finally got around to installing the included hood decals
Picture255.jpg

Thread revival....

Do you think you could make it work more like a ram-air if you made some sort of hood louver that pulled air into the cowl?

On the newer style XJ's you can build your own for cheaper using some miscellaneous Spectre parts rather then buying their kit. I used the 4" inline filter, some of their flex hose and the bulkhead adapter for the flex hose. Cheap and easy and it accomplishes the exact same thing as their pre-made kit.

Note: I do have a TB spacer so I can't say for sure it would work this way without one... the rubber factory hose might not work without the spacer.

CIMG1477.JPG

Thread revival....

Do you think you could make it work more like a ram-air if you made some sort of hood louver that pulled air into the cowl?
Cold air is a good thing.
The term "Ram air" , though, refers to an intake system designed to take advantage of an effect that begins around, lets say, 75+ MPH. Forward facing air intakes, if properly shaped, can trap & effectively compress air at a high enough speed. This results in a top-end sort of mild forced induction with no parasitic drag (beyond the enormous aerodynamic drag that anything going wicked-fast will create)
Your XJ will never reach that speed, so stick to cold air that is protected from the elements IE a cowl intake, snorkel or regular old cold air kit.

Last edited:
Back