• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque wrench

what ever you choose just don't forget to back off the torque to zero when your done, aside from abuse thats really the only reason a TW will go out of calibration. if you dont want to buy a torque wrench use a 10 ft breaker bar and put 20 lbs on it (10ft*20lb=200 ft-lb)

Just wanted to come back to comment on the current Kobalt torque wrenches...

The one that I mentioned falling apart earlier, I only remembered it having a 1 year warranty (pretty common for torque wrenches, but I don't remember what the paperwork said when I bought it) but I hadn't thrown it away either. Well I was in Lowes recently and asked about their warranty and they said bring it back, no questions we'll replace it. So I did.

The current torque wrenches are MUCH, MUCH nicer than the one that fell apart on me. No plastic parts that I could see, and just felt much higher quality. Just thought I'd pass this along since my earlier comments were based on a tool they've since revised.

I had an old Craftsman TW which had a lifetime warrantee when I bought it 20 some years ago. It broke and I took it back and they said they no longer honored the warantee. I guess it was the lifetime of the tool and not my lifetime.

Precision Instruments builds split beams for Snap-On, CDI Torque makes Snap-On's micrometer TWs. I'd take either but be aware that split beam won't work in CCW direction (if you have an old MoPar or Studebaker with LHT lug nuts)

I recently stepped up my torque wrench game with a Snap-On 3/8" and PI 1/2" when my Husky brand torque wrench failed to click on me and stripped a captive nut.

I'd recommend in retrospect buying a used Snap-On over a new PI or CDI because then the Snap-On truck guy can get it recalibrated for about $40. I don't know where you can get non-Snap-On torque wrenches calibrated.

I don't know about recalibration either. You can walk right on to a snap on truck with your Craftsman wrench and check it's accuracy, though.

For re-calibration:
www.teamtorque.com

$48 for the common click style up to 250ft-lbs torque wrench, but you have to ship it to them.

And around here, people want over 100 for a used Snap-on torque wrench, and after recalibration, its easier and cheaper to just go buy a new PI.

Digging up from the dead....

For CDI or Precision Instruments....

Best place to purchase?

Thank you

My company actually sells Precision Instruments all their sanding belts, ive been trying to get one at cost from them for a while but its gotta be a reject i think that has a bad finish or something

We sourced ours through WW Grainger.

So does my buddy's company, but I think that's just because its the cheapest thing that will work & nobody will steal it ;-)

We bought a 3/8" drive, mostly to hang on the wall for audits, or if we actually had to install one of those specialized items. Per procedure, we would certify all our torque wrenches at least once a week on our certified torque wrench tester. Per procedure, the 3/8" drive would fail on a regular basis. The QA manager bought a second unit to have on the shelf while the first one was out for repair. He had often voiced a disdain for the quality of those wrenches.

After I got permission to bring in my personal tools to test, I read the instructions for the test bench. The first test point for the small torque wrench was out of the test bench's listed range... ;)

Back