• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter failure symptoms

ehingerce

NAXJA Forum User
OK did a search. Just what are the symptoms of a failed TQ, Noises etc,

Here is what I got 90 xj, 4L, with 249000 miles, stock,( no lift or any thing)
Think this problem started with a "Bump" when shifting in to rev. at startup. (thought it was the drum brakes releasing "obviously bad thinking" did a brake job and that didn't help) went for a short 200 mile jaunt. At about 150 miles it sounded as though someone put a playing card against the spokes of a bike wheel and lost power. I manually put it in 3ed but every 5-10 miles it would kick out and I’d have to pull over and start out slow again. Got within 4 miles from home and "GOOD OLE Jeep she no move" at the bottom of an off ramp. Yep I got towed. Let it set for the night jumped in and it moved fine. Changed oil and filter (4 quarts and brown) and drove about half mile and it started doing the noise thing agian limped home with no pushing the gas peddle. Would the TQ make that kind of noise? IE total rebuild or just replace the TQ .

Thanks

With that many miles I'd remove it and take to a transmission shop for a rebuild. It could work buy just R&R a TQ, but if it doesn't work out your looking a buying a second TQ due to it being nearly impossible to clean out..

Just my 2 cents..........

Back