• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Swap or Not to Swap??

88rubixj

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my XJ on the road, took it out wheelin today, 2hrs in and "SNAP" RF axle joint blew apart, this was my first trip out with the new truck, Used to own a samurai. totally different diffs and axles..

Anyways i'll get to the point, i have the chance to buy a d44 rubicon complete front diff for my truck for the price of $1500cdn or should i just build up the stocker(chromoly axles etc etc). I plan to put 4.56 gears in either one as the truck w-33's and stock gears just ain't gonna cut it..

This vehicle is not gonna be a hard core crawler or anything like that but i want it to be reliable enough to still play the way i like to play.

What do you guys think? put in the rubi diff or build up what i got?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the semi stupid post

I asked a similar question regarding the ruby D44 but guys didnt like the idea they say its a low pinion D44 and doesnt worth it. But Its a bolt on...

The only thing you gain with the Rubi D44 is the ring and pinion strength and the housing will be slightly stronger. The shafts are the same with the execption that the inner shafts have a few more splines than a Dana 30 but the outers are the same as a dana 30. Throw a set of alloys in your current dana 30, regear it, and call it done on 33s. If you plan on going bigger later save the coin for a real high pinion 44 so you can get bigger brakes, stronger housing, manual hubs, and better shafts.

AARON

what the conversion for 1500 canadian to US dollars? Although the Rubi 44 is a low pinion, it's still a good axle... the inner shafts are normal 44 shafts, and the outers are weak, but you could upgrade those. I say if you have the coin, buy it, upgrade the outers and bolt it under. The real question would be if you know how to actuate the locker if you do it.

Back