• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to shock boot or not to shock boot

williamk53 said:
Whoa! Jeez Mr. Okie Terry, you don't have to get so defensive! I was kinda half joking there...I bought my ProComps on a package deal with the boots and a free steering damper for real cheap. I needed shocks for a lift and was on a budget at the time. For your edification, they do still dampen well (too well), as a matter of fact, they ride a lot rougher than I'd like and I can now afford some new shocks but have difficulty with trashing things that still work. If you would like to buy them, I would be happy to sell them to you.
Thanks for the offer, but I have NO problem getting shocks.
Oh, and thanks for clarifying.
Makes more sense now.:)

Kejtar said:
Yeah, that breather hole in the boot has a force shield that protects it against elements.

that breather hole cant possibly let in that much. and if you re-ziptie them every so often then you can clean anything out of there that might get through that breather hole. that is the best way to take care of your shocks, if needed. no shame in the boot.

and this whole "white letters in" ripping is retarded. or the "shock boots give you 3" more wheel travel" sarcasm is pretty lame as well. white letters out and shock boots certainly wont decrease wheel travel.

people say that white letters out is for "looks only" and then put their white letters in. pretty hypocritical really considering you turn your white letters in for the same reason... aesthetics. I do rock my whites in, but as stated its because I like the "look" better than the whites out. there is no advantage either way.

if you like the way a shock boot looks or your whites out, dont worry about what others think is "cooler", just do whatcha like!

just because its a trail rig doesnt me is has to look like sheeit.

spencer411 said:
that breather hole cant possibly let in that much. and if you re-ziptie them every so often then you can clean anything out of there that might get through that breather hole. that is the best way to take care of your shocks, if needed. no shame in the boot.

and this whole "white letters in" ripping is retarded. or the "shock boots give you 3" more wheel travel" sarcasm is pretty lame as well. white letters out and shock boots certainly wont decrease wheel travel.

people say that white letters out is for "looks only" and then put their white letters in. pretty hypocritical really considering you turn your white letters in for the same reason... aesthetics. I do rock my whites in, but as stated its because I like the "look" better than the whites out. there is no advantage either way.

if you like the way a shock boot looks or your whites out, dont worry about what others think is "cooler", just do whatcha like!

just because its a trail rig doesnt me is has to look like sheeit.

While you have a point about the white in white out on the tires, you are wrong about the boot. That little hole can let in a lot. If you reziptie it though so that it's "sealed" it's not going to work as when you compress and uncompress you will be "burping" or "sucking" air in, and with that crud. Also lets not forget the damage to the boot from rubbing while articulating (when I had the stock shocks on with boots, I can't remember where, but there is a spot where your boot will rub and rip).
Anyways, back to the original question: the best way to take care of your shock is never to put it on and keep it on the shelf ;) Second best is not to boot it :D

Kejtar said:
If you reziptie it though so that it's "sealed" it's not going to work as when you compress and uncompress you will be "burping" or "sucking" air in, and with that crud. Also lets not forget the damage to the boot from rubbing while articulating (when I had the stock shocks on with boots, I can't remember where, but there is a spot where your boot will rub and rip).

good point

this was my first post on this forum and I hope to learn alot from this place.

I originally had bright green boots on, but when i was driving over this honda, some rice got stuck in the breather holes. As one side compressed, the air built up and shot the rice out and poked a guy in the eye. No joke! Although i liked the extra shall we say "get up and go" that they gave me, i had to throw them out. I also turned my tires white wall in because thats how everyone does it and i wanted to still be concidered cool. Only real jeepers go white wall in.

I forgot to add that i dont run just white letterd tires. I run white WALLS, you know, the kid from the 50's with a 5 inch white wall. It's awesome and the chicks love it.

cherokee xj said:
I originally had bright green boots on, but when i was driving over this honda, some rice got stuck in the breather holes. As one side compressed, the air built up and shot the rice out and poked a guy in the eye. No joke! Although i liked the extra shall we say "get up and go" that they gave me, i had to throw them out. I also turned my tires white wall in because thats how everyone does it and i wanted to still be concidered cool. Only real jeepers go white wall in.

ill story

you dont by chance frequent the Dstyles board do you?

That is correct. Over there, i feel up there on the totem pole, but today is my first day posting here even though i've been a member for quite some time. I decided to make the transition from noob posts to somewhat more... shall we say... "advanced" posts. :D

Back