• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thick Gears??

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading :scottm: and im under the impression that buying a thick gear set will let me use my existing carrier with 4:56's ..
is this right??

So I can use my carrier for my D30 3:73 and lower and get thick 4:56 gears and run em??

Also does this go for a 87 XJ D44 ??

any problems using these gears (strenght issues , pinion size , ect. )

They are just as strong as regular gears of like ratio. No problem using them if you can find them in the ratio you want for both diffs.

yeah. the only reason i remembered this was because i thought the same thing. it might not be, but i'll look for the catalog tonight.

I bought a brand new carrier for about 35 bucks locally.... I would just do it right the first time.. I am not sure of alternatives however.... SO if there are safe ones.. go for it!

I still have part #'s up on my site? Oh yeah... gotta change that...
D30 thick gearsets are about as available as my wife... She is not!
but for the D44 yes. only problem is that they are sometimes more popular than a TJ D44.. Very.. and it gets hard to get your hands on a set.

ok. an update on my previous post. i'm looking at the catalog right now during lunch, and reider racing(pg) calls them "ring gear spacers". but sorry, there is nothing that fits the 30. dana 60, gm 8.875, etc. no d30 thick gears either(and they have everything from suzuki to oldsmobile).

eeeeh i don't know about that. there's prolly a reason that they don't make them for stuff that small...plus it would compromise setup if it wasn't exactly the right thickness...not giving you very much to work with.

xuv-this said:
eeeeh i don't know about that. there's prolly a reason that they don't make them for stuff that small...plus it would compromise setup if it wasn't exactly the right thickness...not giving you very much to work with.
They don't make lots of things because there’s no demand for it.
I made one for a buddy on mine, someone gave him a carrier and he wanted it because it was a locker. We just measured the difference between the between the gears and turned one out of tool steel, it was about 3/8 thick. We used flathead Allen bolts to bolt the spacer to the gear, and standard ring gear bolts to bolt the spacer to the carrier, that was three years ago and it’s still going strong.

Keep in mind that a ring gear spacer will void all warranties. The problem is that while the ring gear is bolted down, the inside diameter fits a journal that basically keeps the ring gear centered. a spacer will eliminated that journal and the ring gear will depend 100% on the strength of the bolts. Thats why some ring gears are press fit in place.

sounds good the only reason Im intrested is that I have a lincoln locker in the back and If I go thick gears I can just run the lincoln till I decide to get a locker or keep the spool, or the tires wear out which ever comes first..

As far as the D30 Ill just buy the carrier its only another $50

Rawbrown said:
Keep in mind that a ring gear spacer will void all warranties. The problem is that while the ring gear is bolted down, the inside diameter fits a journal that basically keeps the ring gear centered. a spacer will eliminated that journal and the ring gear will depend 100% on the strength of the bolts. Thats why some ring gears are press fit in place.
True the ring we made is not flat, it indexes off the carrier and there a index ridge in the side that goes agianst the gear.

Back