• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

Got an extra Baja claw I can put on the crane?

I dropped all but 1 tire off to the guy yesterday. All but 1 because that 1 is stuck to the ground...

I'm going to buy gears and install kits for my wontons next week. Is it worth the extra coin to buy the Yukon master rebuild kit over the Standard Gear master rebuild kit? The only difference i see is that Yukon uses Timken bearings and Standard uses Koyo.

Koyo bearings are fine.

The main thing I like about the Yukon kit is that their shims are far more consistent.

The cheaper kits are sometimes over .001" thicker in certain spots which makes it a PITA to setup the gears, not impossible though.

If I was strapped for cash, the cheaper stuff is fine. Just make sure it has everything you need (new ring gear bolts, loctite, marking compound, new yoke nut, etc.).

If it was me get a Yukon or a Motive install kit. Having used the other brands before the shims make it a slight PIA since they are all odd.

I'm going to buy gears and install kits for my wontons next week. Is it worth the extra coin to buy the Yukon master rebuild kit over the Standard Gear master rebuild kit? The only difference i see is that Yukon uses Timken bearings and Standard uses Koyo.

What kind of propellers does it come with? You don't want cheap propellors. Your torpedo won't shoot straight and you'll end up crashing on some beach somewhere LOL. Also, make sure you get good torpedo paint. Last thing you want is some rusty piece of junk torpedo to show off to all your sailor buddies.

Also, it wasn't only them being thick and thin within the one shim as Colin mentioned but you only get like one .003" shim and they other is .0039" and the next is .0026".
Makes it hard to be consistent in swapping them or gaining the right amount.

Dundy, let me double check my old D60 setup shit when I go home in a weekend or two.

If I have a bunch of extra shims laying around then just order the cheap stuff and you can swipe some of my old shims to save some money.

You can always add like 5 bucks worth of shim kits off rockauto to the pile, too.

D60 pinion depth shims: USA55012
D60 carrier shims: DS42563
D60 pinion preload shims: couldn't find these on rockauto.

Don't forget a new pinion oil baffle if you intend to put one back in, either. At least on the d30, it goes between the inner pinion bearing cup and the housing with the depth shims, and is easier to ruin with a punch knocking the old bearing cup out than it is to NOT ruin it. And some setup kits don't include a new one. Some people say they aren't needed, but I'd definitely put one in any highway driven high pinion front diff.

I never toss shims, they just go straight into the baggie of other shims. When I get a proper workshop set up in my basement I'm going to put like a 2x4 foot plywood sheet up with labeled pegs for all the different setup bearings/shims needed for every diff I have worked on or plan on working on. Kinda overkill, since I've only done one so far, have another two to do still, plus 4-5 of my own in the future, but whatever, it's 15 bucks in plywood.

Last edited:

I lived there for 25 years.

It's STILL hard not to :laugh:
I hear you it took me awhile to stop as well.
Don't forget a new pinion oil baffle if you intend to put one back in, either. At least on the d30, it goes between the inner pinion bearing cup and the housing with the depth shims, and is easier to ruin with a punch knocking the old bearing cup out than it is to NOT ruin it. And some setup kits don't include a new one. Some people say they aren't needed, but I'd definitely put one in any highway driven high pinion front diff.
Good point, I agree.
For reference my LP60 didn't have one from the factory (unless someone removed it for whatever reason and put back the factory gears), but my HP60 did.

Oh and I have the best wife ever!

She's been wanting a new mattress since before we moved into out house. I can't really blame her the one we are sleeping on now is older than me. :laugh:
So the plan was to get tax return money and use it on a mattress and a woodchipper. She tells me forget the mattress we'll save for one and get it later; get the woodchipper and the lawn mower now. :thumbup:

I'm excited. Both ordered.

Yipee!

Badass! That'll be sweet. Tell Angel to just lay down a mattress pad or something for now :laugh:.

Last night I picked up that Milwaukee circ saw that you have Bill. I got a gift card for my bday from my grandmother and had a 10% coupon so I got it for basically half price.

I priced out wood to build my workbench and it will easily be 1/4 the price of a steel bench. Going to just go that route for now and build a steel one down the road. Can't swing any extra money right now.

I hear you it took me awhile to stop as well.

Good point, I agree.
For reference my LP60 didn't have one from the factory (unless someone removed it for whatever reason and put back the factory gears), but my HP60 did.

Yeah, I've never seen one in a low pinion diff but the high pinion ones mostly seem to have it.

Got some "Bro" Tow flipout mirrors for my Dodge. TOWIN' GHOST TRAILERS ERRYDAY

also, anyone think the difference from 2x5 to 2x6 box steel rockers is worth the extra inch sticking out? Trying to decide what I want to do with the MJ...

Badass! That'll be sweet. Tell Angel to just lay down a mattress pad or something for now :laugh:.

Last night I picked up that Milwaukee circ saw that you have Bill. I got a gift card for my bday from my grandmother and had a 10% coupon so I got it for basically half price.

I priced out wood to build my workbench and it will easily be 1/4 the price of a steel bench. Going to just go that route for now and build a steel one down the road. Can't swing any extra money right now.
She did that months ago. :laugh:

It's a great saw. When you need a blade get the Diablo Demo Demon. They cut fantastic and Home Depot usually has the 2 for 1 packages.

Yup, wood is still about 10% higher than it was last year though. :( Glad I'm not building my house now.

Get a good plywood for the top and it'll last a long long time.

Back