• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The mall crawler needs lockers - I searched

You are running 35s and 8.25? I would spend the money and upgrade to a 8.8 or 44 first and throw a locker in it at the same time. Don't waste anymore more money on the 8.25 then you have too
Mall Crawler + locker = WOW!

atxchris1234 said:
Sure enough ected doesn't have an 8.25 option according to quadratec. Okay so that'll have to go in the front. So, for the rear... shouid I just save the money and go fulltime? Guess it's up to the driver prefrence eh?
Okay so does OX make an electronic selectable locker or is it ONLY cable operated? Nevermind I just ansered that.... it shows on their website that either they don't have the option for a chrys 8.25 or they don't show it on their site.

So what now? Is there not a quiet engagement option for the rear??
Sure there is, swap in a different rear axle.

IMPRZV1 said:
You are running 35s and 8.25? I would spend the money and upgrade to a 8.8 or 44 first and throw a locker in it at the same time. Don't waste anymore more money on the 8.25 then you have too

something tells me i've blown my budget here.

atxchris1234 said:
something tells me i've blown my budget here.

welcome to wheeling.

you just linked to this thread

Hey, last Sunday, were you up by parmer and 620?

atxchris1234 said:
The only thing I need now is some education and guidance on what my locker choices are. I like evrything to be nice and neat and accessible from the cab...
I am basically just catalog shopping for now and seeing the air lockers and the ected electronic lockers. Which of these would be best and why? What are the other options?
...im not too keen on hearing an air compressor come on when i turn on the lockers...
...$1,500-$2,500 installed is acceptible.
Any advice you could lend would be great. Feel free to do as much explaining about how the lockers actually function as you'd like. Im ready to absorb any and all opinions and facts in an effort to make an educated buy.

Thanks!

Admitting that you don't know a lot about lockers and asking for advice was the right thing to do.

There is some bad information in this thread that you should ignore:
1. The ARB compressor for the ARB air lockers is really not up to filling large tires, even though they sell a kit for that purpose.
2. "..an auto locker is made to go in the front axle..." This is not true, full time auto lockers are made for front or rear applications.
3. "An auto-locker uses gears and springs to detect when one wheel is just spinning / slipping, and then it "locks" to one degree or another"
This too is wrong, a limitted slip may engage when slipping is detected, but an auto locker is locked when power is applied to the axle. They all have some type of mechinism that allows the outside wheel to turn faster than the inside wheel when going around corners. Some of them ratchet and make clicking sounds, some of them pop, and some will chirp the tires and move the whole rear end. Usually coasting around corners whenever possible will minimize these affects.
3. "...if you have to ask what a locker is you probably don't need one."
You should just ignore these type of remarks, no one is born knowing this stuff. Everyone was new at some point.
4. "ECTED lockers are more reliable than air lockers but their "default" or non-locked mode is like an auto locker...."
This is not necessarily true, electrically actuated lockers can fail just as easily as air actuated ones. Wires are susceptable to damage and failure just as much as air lines. ECTED are unique lockers in that they can be integrated into a vehicles on board traction control system. They can be engage as needed automatically by the car, or they can be engaged manually. Many newer vehicles have such systems. See more here: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Difference-Between-Limited-Slip-Posi.htm
5. "You are running 35s and 8.25? I would spend the money and upgrade to a 8.8 or 44 first and throw a locker in it at the same time. Don't waste anymore more money on the 8.25 then you have too Mall Crawler + locker = WOW!"
There is no reason to replace the 8.25 rear axle. Just upgrade to alloy shafts. I ran 4.56 gears, 35" tires, and an ARB locker on my old 8.25 for 3 years with no issues and I've done a lot of tough trails.
The D44 and the 8.8 are better and have advantages, but in my opinion it's not worth the cost or effort to upgrade from a 8.25. Now if you had a D35 that would be a different story.

So.. there are 3 type of lockers..
Lunch box lockers - No Slip, Aussie etc.
pros: cheap, simple, effective, you can install them your self, do not require the ring and pinion to be disturbed, invisible in 2wd in the front.
cons: full time non-selectable, will increase turning radius, wears out steering components faster, makes tight turns on the trail difficult, not as strong as a full carrier type locker
Full carrier, full time lockers - Detroit
pros: very strong, simple, no air lines or wires, proven technology.
cons: non selectable, same issues in front as lunch box., your shafts will usually break long before the locker does., D35 killer...
Selectable full carrier lockers - ARB, ECTED, OX
pros: SELECTABLE engage them when needed, very nice for front axles as your steering will be normal until you need to engage them which is only occasionally even on tough trails.
Front lockers reduce turning radius and place huge stress on steering components.
OX lockers are a cable operated selectable locker and considered very strong and the actuation mechinism is considered less prone to failure then either air lines or wires.
cons: Relying on Air compressor, air lines, wires, and/or cables introduces more complexity and points of failures. Also seclectable lockers are the most expesive types. ARB start at $700, and ARB for a 35 spline D60 is $850 (ask me how I know) OX is even more.

Bottom line you will spend about $1300 per axle to get gears and a selectable locker, which is within your stated budged.
rign & pinion and install kit = $200 if you get a sale.
ARB locker = $700
labor = $300
compressor can be had for cheap if you buy the ARB package deal.

sorry for the long winded reply, I guess I was in the mood to type...
Good luck.

Last edited:
yossarian19 said:
Air lockers require on-board air and many people report problems with air lines leaking. They are, however, fully selectable and when you don't have it in "lock" it drives like a regular car.

The same as electrically-selectable lockers, which leads me on to:

ECTED lockers are more reliable than air lockers but their "default" or non-locked mode is like an auto locker and may cause you trouble if you don't know how to drive it.

I don't know that the ECTEDs themselves can be called 'more reliable' than an air locker, but when it was time to do mine the ECTEDs won out for one really simple reason: it's easier to reliably trail-repair a break in an electrical connection than a pneumatic one. Note that I'm not knocking the ARBs (and there's been plenty of debate here about how much of a 'real' locker the ECTEDs are), but they've worked out fine for me so far. Having said that, a compressor is definitely worth having even if it's to only air tyres up. You can get decent portable units for under $100 that will handle that particular task without issue.

As regards not knowing how to drive it: there's a noticeable (but not intrusive) pull to the right from my front locker. Basically, the ECTEDs function as a relatively mild limited-slip when not locked (technically, they're infinitely-variable from 'almost no slip' to 'fully-locked'), hence the drag on the steering. It's nothing problematic, but you do need to be aware of it.

ECTED, OX and Air Lockers are all around 700 just for parts.

Actually... Both of my ECTEDs were closer to $525 apiece. This was for a D30 and D44.

But I agree - if it's not going to see terrain that needs them, why drop the money into something that's never going to be used?

Last edited:
IMPRZV1 said:

I would be more worried about the dana 30.

Back