• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The giveaway XJ brokedown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, Redheep's father won the jeep. Josh was just trying to get it to Ohio for him.

As for who picked the winning ticket, it was a 7 year old little girl picking in front of a crowd of 2500 people....

Nate and I are in Golden, CO.

Spent the day at an awesome fella's house, Shawn in Gypsum, CO. He heard through the Colorado4x4.org board that we needed help and he loaned us a space in his garage (2 miles from the exit where the jeep broke).

Long story short: We ended up not swapping axles because we didn't have the tools. Shawn's tool collection was limited and I was afraid we were going to destroy u-joints trying to swap driveshafts to run the 8.8. Nate and I got over there at 7 in the morning and started making my heep highway ready.

Trackbar bushing was toast. Death wobble all over the place. Of course, it was custom by me, so we couldn't find a bushing at the local parts places. Heard from the owner of the carquest that the local owner of an excavating company builds buggies at his shop and had a bunch of jeeps, so we headed over.

Hobbs Excavating in Gypsum, CO stepped up huge for us. He paged his shop foreman over (the owner of a very nice J20 truggy on 42's) and Hank took a look at it and told us he had something that would work. 30 minutes later he called me back and I had a new cut down frame side bushing just like the original. Stewart (the owner) wouldn't take any money for it and just asked us to stop by and do some wheeling the next time we came through (!).

Got the trackbar in, fixed the swaybar disconnect mount (ask Rev), changed all the fluids, put the spare tire on the driver's side front (tore a chunk out of the sidewall on Moab Rim) and then loaded the vehicles all up.

We were only 2.5 hours from Golden, so by the time we got here at 7:30, we called it quits for the night. The giveaway jeep is on the back of the trailer strapped down for the ride home.

My heep rides like shit on the interstate, but it's Nate's turn to drive it tomorrow :D

Thanks again to everyone who helped get us some help. Pat and Macgyver called us from the interstate just to make sure we had a good plan.

The proof is in the pudding folks. NAXJA is great people ;)

....not to mention Sean, Hank and Stewart!

Very cool. Glad you guys are back on the road.:thumbup:

If you guys come through IL on 70,........ holla. Nate has my number.

We'll be on 80, it runs closer to the house in Ohio.
I figured as much. Oh well, thought you could buy my lunch. :D Maybe next time.

Actually, Redheep's father won the jeep. Josh was just trying to get it to Ohio for him.

As for who picked the winning ticket, it was a 7 year old little girl picking in front of a crowd of 2500 people....

Yes, Josh didn't win the Jeep, his father did. I wasn't eligible either, but my Dad was with me and he bought tickets. If my Dad would have won, it would be the same situation. Josh's brother also was there and bought tickets, and it would have been the same situation getting it home.

Josh, real glad to hear you guys got it worked out and are able to head for home.

Wow, glad you are OK and will be on the road again.

I had a similar deal on my XJ... nothing makes a giant sucking sound like the low corner after spitting a shaft/wheel out in traffic at "road speed".

Goatman thanks for being MC of the event, I'm sure it felt like 2500.

Can we edit all the negative out of this thread so we can go on with our happy place???

congrats guys on the win, be glad the bearing did let go next thing would have been a tirefire and no amount of beer induced urine and old half drank bottles of soda on the back floor would have put that shit out!! glad you were able to figure out a plan and get so much help (although thats not suprizeing) to get yall on your way looking forward to pictures of it in action, happy motoring.

Glad to hear you got back on the road.

I'll be setting out from Brighton this morning - depending on relative speeds (don't know how fast you drive), I might see you on 80, since I'm heading that way myself. If I see you, I'll give you a holler on ch. 19 and say hello.

Rob

Nate and I are in Golden, CO.

Spent the day at an awesome fella's house, Shawn in Gypsum, CO. He heard through the Colorado4x4.org board that we needed help and he loaned us a space in his garage (2 miles from the exit where the jeep broke).

Long story short: We ended up not swapping axles because we didn't have the tools. Shawn's tool collection was limited and I was afraid we were going to destroy u-joints trying to swap driveshafts to run the 8.8. Nate and I got over there at 7 in the morning and started making my heep highway ready.

Trackbar bushing was toast. Death wobble all over the place. Of course, it was custom by me, so we couldn't find a bushing at the local parts places. Heard from the owner of the carquest that the local owner of an excavating company builds buggies at his shop and had a bunch of jeeps, so we headed over.

Hobbs Excavating in Gypsum, CO stepped up huge for us. He paged his shop foreman over (the owner of a very nice J20 truggy on 42's) and Hank took a look at it and told us he had something that would work. 30 minutes later he called me back and I had a new cut down frame side bushing just like the original. Stewart (the owner) wouldn't take any money for it and just asked us to stop by and do some wheeling the next time we came through (!).

Got the trackbar in, fixed the swaybar disconnect mount (ask Rev), changed all the fluids, put the spare tire on the driver's side front (tore a chunk out of the sidewall on Moab Rim) and then loaded the vehicles all up.

We were only 2.5 hours from Golden, so by the time we got here at 7:30, we called it quits for the night. The giveaway jeep is on the back of the trailer strapped down for the ride home.

My heep rides like shit on the interstate, but it's Nate's turn to drive it tomorrow :D

Thanks again to everyone who helped get us some help. Pat and Macgyver called us from the interstate just to make sure we had a good plan.

Man, that is awsome! Jeepers really stick together and it makes me proud to have become a part of such a great thing.:thumbup:

What could have been a MUCH worse situation was made better by others that don't even know you from Adam. Kinda gives me hope in human beings again. :cheers:

Imagine that the Giveaway XJ breaking. Maybe there is a curse. Glad to hear you are all ok.

Although a few of us may not agree with who won the rig; in accordance with the rules set forth there was no foul play. Go crawl back in your hole, you do not even support this forum, or club.

How can you agree or not agree with who won?

A big box full of tickets sitting on a platform in front of 250 people, and a 7 year old girl reaches in and pulls out a ticket........and that's the name on the ticket.

As far as the curse of the Giveaway XJ, it's simply incredibly bad luck. The one five years ago was driven around, went to events, etc, and no one suspected a bad motor. This one the parking brake hung up, which is a fluke, and no one heard or felt anything dragging when it was driven around before hand. Even though, I'm sure the next one will be gone over with a super fine tooth comb. :)

I think that the winning of the jeep was fixed. I mean look at redheeps post

look has the giveawayxj info all over. I call BullS*$t

OMG! so did 30 other people who cared about getting the word out on the giveaway rig!

Imagine that the Giveaway XJ breaking. Maybe there is a curse. Glad to hear you are all ok.

I wish this thread had tagging available...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back