• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

Oh dude, you need to buy a book ha ha ha.

Jeep450r has a nice rig and is a real build. I'm mostly stock with some armor. I'd love to build up stronger axles and larger tires, but not on this rig.

thats one of the reasons why i love your jeep. anyone can build it and wheel it..

im looking to do armor and bumpers and lockers and wheel it until i can afford a little more lift. i bought my truck with a 3.5-4 inch lift already installed so half the work i wanted to do is already done!

I replaced my leaf shackle bushings and decided to move the shackle back one hole on the relo brackets. Although I was at 45 degrees in the forward hole, I was sitting an inch lower in the back after the ACOS install last year. The new position gave me about a half inch of new height.

photo_zps70510bb4.jpg

On a side note, the new poly bushings had thicker flanges than the bushings that came with the HD Offroad kit, which forced me to open the relo bracket a bit wider and to add longer mounting bolts (9/16 x 4.5). The original bolts did not allow bolt threads to protrude beyond the fiber lock nut, but 4.5" gives plenty of length.

photo1_zpse23fae1d.jpg

After install, I ops checked the shackle angle by wheeling a few nearby desert trails with steep terrain and it seems to feel nice and flexy on the road and off. Anybody else running their angle around 70 degrees?

Last edited:
Its the thread that won't die...

I've been doing a few little jobs getting the rig ready for Fall Fling and wanted to post a few pics on the FB. The Jeep mostly sits in the garage these days, but hell, that keeps the mileage down and the harsh desert sun off the paint. Along with swapping suspension bushings, I've been messing around with brakes, locating the source of front end noise, and polishing the turd.

After three years, I decided to swap my old nasty RE brake lines for a set of purty red lines from Crown Performance. These 25" braided steel lines cost $121.44 after shipping. The old lines are still serviceable and will go to the kid's Jeep if he wants them.

IMG_4864_zps1e733e65.jpg

Here's my rear line with my homemade bleeder bottle. The swap took nearly two pints of fluid but was an easy, and needed install.

IMG_4865_zps49432f49.jpg

Here's the front. I think I will rotate the mounting clips 90 degrees and safety wire them in place. I've lost a few of these in the past thanks to tire rub at full turn.

IMG_4867_zps8bcb0152.jpg

I also managed to pick up a new tail light housing from Amazon (Depo) for around $40. My JCR bumper has a habit of flexing with the uni-body and cracking the tail light housing during off road fun. I've fixed it twice with JB Weld, but I finally decided to toss the original light. New one is on the left...original is on the right.

IMG_4850_zpsc9925d7c.jpg

Before install, I had to re-drill the 1" hole for the dedicated tail light bulb that came with the Blue Ox wiring harness. I flat tow my Jeep and found the tail light kit to be perfect for my needs. This was also found on Amazon (part number BX8869) for about $45. This kit prevents the diode mod and does not tap into the existing wiring.

IMG_4853_zps4111fd96.jpg

I use a flat 4-pin connector mounted on the front of the bumper for a quick connection to the tow vehicle.

IMG_4839_zps8a863196.jpg

I also fixed an annoying problem by drilling a hole through the bumper directly beneath my CB antenna mount. That hole enabled me to route the CB coax cable directly to the antenna connector. This fixes a poorly routed coax cable that ended up being cut after it was trapped between the bumper and hatch.

IMG_4852_zps34568a00.jpg

New light housing installed. Unfortunately, it looks better than the passenger side, so that one will need to be replaced next.

IMG_4855_zpsa68e55d3.jpg

Because I had more time on my hands, I decided to freshen up the paint on the rock rails. These were looking bad and I want to leave fresh satin black paint at Moab.

IMG_4869_zpsa2f26cc7.jpg

A bit of sanding and fresh paint did wonders for the rails.

IMG_4870_zpsf1eb08af.jpg

Next, I decided to try some new wax that I bought for the motor home on the hood of the Jeep. After the hood, I figured the fenders needed some wax. Unfortunately, I kept on going and ended up waxing the entire turd about two hours later. It turned out pretty good despite being a POS Jeep that has been abused for the past four years.

IMG_4871_zps374f285a.jpg

Moab, anyone?

Last edited:
Looks better than ever, man! When you return and after the wax wears off I recommend trying clay baring the paint ($19 kit from Mothers). That alone will make your paint feel like factory fresh, I need to do that on mine soon.
Wish I could see it at Moab...just don't roll it! Its too purty.

Looks better than ever, man! When you return and after the wax wears off I recommend trying clay baring the paint ($19 kit from Mothers). That alone will make your paint feel like factory fresh, I need to do that on mine soon.
Wish I could see it at Moab...just don't roll it! Its too purty.

Hey man. I'll order a clay bar on Amazon. I was going to buy one for the Whale and Yeti, but I'm not sure about making the Frog so purty. I didn't really even want to wax it, but I got carried away.

By the way, did you want my old brake lines? I figure we could find a way to heat shrink the lines and they would be as good as new for your Green Machine. I'm looking forward to your visit in September. Still coming?

Yeah I"ll take the brake lines, mine are looking pretty beat up, probably more than yours. Yep still coming in Sept, cant wait!

I've only perused the first page so far, but sweet rig! Looks like you've done a lot of the same mods I'm planning for the future so I'm sure I'll end up reading the whole thread. I love me a clean red XJ. :D

I've only perused the first page so far, but sweet rig! Looks like you've done a lot of the same mods I'm planning for the future so I'm sure I'll end up reading the whole thread. I love me a clean red XJ. :D

I got lucky finding a nearly showroom condition '99 with a few mods and excellent maintenance records for my second XJ. I drove it for about a year as is, then started the build all at once. It's not quite as purty as before but it sure has proven itself on the trail. I love having a rig that I can beat and not worry too much about damage, and still upgrade with relatively cheap parts. Try that with a $50k JK...

Countdown: 7 days before I leave for Moab, Utah. The plan is to depart around 8 am and stopping in Beaver Utah for the night, then on to Moab Monday morning for the final 6 hour drive. Hopefully I'll spot a few XJs along the way.

Countdown: 7 days before I leave for Moab, Utah. The plan is to depart around 8 am and stopping in Beaver Utah for the night, then on to Moab Monday morning for the final 6 hour drive. Hopefully I'll spot a few XJs along the way.
Same with us. We will leave 6 am from here and stay the night in SLC. We will see you there and you can give me a tour of the Frog.

The NAXJA 30th anniversary trip at Moab was beyond expectations. I plan to post some of my favorite pics from the event as soon as everyone posts their trail pics in the Moab forum.

I currently have my front end completely torn apart and am repairing my bent tie rod, misaligned LCAs, bent sway bar mount, and am in the middle of installing the D30 inner sleeves I won at the raffle. I've got the sleeves in the freezer awaiting for install, and am fabbing a tool to clean the crap out of the axle tubes. The plan is to weld a wire wheel to the end of a threaded rod and bore the rust out of the tubes so the steel inserts will slide right in (blissfully optimistic). If not that, then I'm ready with my sledge and bearing cap installation tools. I will also to a disk brake conversion on my 8.25 before I wheel next. It will be nice to have four real brakes again. I would have felt more confident on Moab Rim and Poison Spider if my brakes were worth a sh*t.

Due to the maintenance, I had to bail on the Panamint Valley trip I wanted to do. I'll get this POS back together in time for some December trips in the desert.

Here's a good shot taken by XJEEPER on 7 Mile Rim. Good trail.

IMG_4225_zps5e3948a3.jpg

The NAXJA 30th anniversary trip at Moab was beyond expectations. I plan to post some of my favorite pics from the event as soon as everyone posts their trail pics in the Moab forum.

I currently have my front end completely torn apart and am repairing my bent tie rod, misaligned LCAs, bent sway bar mount, and am in the middle of installing the D30 inner sleeves I won at the raffle. I've got the sleeves in the freezer awaiting for install, and am fabbing a tool to clean the crap out of the axle tubes. The plan is to weld a wire wheel to the end of a threaded rod and bore the rust out of the tubes so the steel inserts will slide right in (blissfully optimistic). If not that, then I'm ready with my sledge and bearing cap installation tools. I will also to a disk brake conversion on my 8.25 before I wheel next. It will be nice to have four real brakes again. I would have felt more confident on Moab Rim and Poison Spider if my brakes were worth a sh*t.

Due to the maintenance, I had to bail on the Panamint Valley trip I wanted to do. I'll get this POS back together in time for some December trips in the desert.

Here's a good shot taken by XJEEPER on 7 Mile Rim. Good trail.

IMG_4225_zps5e3948a3.jpg

Kelly, I'm glad we got to wheel together! Moab was a blast and hopefully I can make it out there for the 35th so we can wheel together again! :cheers: Oh, and I may have stolen some of your pics! :D

I never got around to posting my favorite pics from the 30th anniversary trip to Moab, but maybe I'll get to that one day. That trip was epic. I also never got around to posting pics of all the upgrades to the Frog after Moab. The D30 axle sleeves I won in the raffle went in without a hitch. I also swapped ball joints, axle bushings, and a few other minor upgrades.

100K_XJ is here visiting and we have had a blast working on his Cherokee over the past week. We've installed his Bushwacker flat fender flares, drained his milky front diff fluid, installed a tranny cooler and 100% transmission fluid change, installed longer, braided stainless steel brake lines from Crown Performance (nice gift), welded up a front bumper hoop and light tabs, installed new CB antenna and mount, and installed bump stops (hockey pucks) and taller spring isolators. We're hitting Pismo today before he heads back north. Great trip.

Welcome back to Nor Cal Kelly. Wheeling season is just around the corner.

We bought a condo in Rocklin, so.....I guess I'm technically back in the Sierra Chapter. Now I just need to find a job up north.

I'm gonna try and make to KOH next year, Kelly.....You should go!

It's great to hear that you're working your way back up here Kelly. I miss wheeling with ya.

Back