• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the best penetrating oil ever?

That's awesome. I usually write off the brake connections from the history of every single one stripping or rounding off or tearing. I'll have to mix up a batch of this stuff this summer.

What are you guys storing this in? Someone mentioned not being able to keep it in plastic bottles ( I assume because of the acetone).

Are there reusable metal spray cans out there on the cheap?

What are you guys storing this in? Someone mentioned not being able to keep it in plastic bottles ( I assume because of the acetone).

Are there reusable metal spray cans out there on the cheap?
I picked up a cheap metal thumb-pump oil can. Been holding it for probably 3 months, works just fine.

What are you guys storing this in? Someone mentioned not being able to keep it in plastic bottles ( I assume because of the aceton)

glass "canning jar"

it looks like I've got some moonshine fermenting on the shelf-- but this stuffs got to taste a little rough.

I picked up a cheap metal thumb-pump oil can. Been holding it for probably 3 months, works just fine.
Where did you get it? Sounds like a Harbor Freight special type of thing.

glass "canning jar"

it looks like I've got some moonshine fermenting on the shelf-- but this stuffs got to taste a little rough.
Thats a good idea, but most of the time I need to squirt the oil onto something and cant really get a brush onto anything.

My local O'Reilly's carries acetone in quart cans. And I think I paid all of $6 for the thumb-pump can as well there.

I've heard a lot of rumors about this stuff, and I have WD-40, PBBlaster, and Kroil on hand to test... I'll have to give it a try.

PS - Cole-Parmer Chemical Resistance Database shows FFKM, EPDM, Kalrez, Kel-F, Nylon, PEEK, and PTFE as having Excellent resistance to acetone, and LDPE as having Good resistance. CP Lab Safety says "LDPE and HDPE at 20C°-50C° - damage may occur. Not recommended for continuous use." so I think if you just put what you need into a polyethylene spray bottle, use it, then put the rest back into the jar for storage you'll be ok, as long as the pump/cap mechanism on the spray bottle isn't made out of PVC or ABS etc as those turn into sludge when exposed to acetone.

EDIT: garr - Home Depot and most other home improvement stores have it, check the paint prep aisles, it's in blue tins next to the naptha, xylol, turpentine, paint thinner, etc.

KB 88 is...

Solvent Naphtha 25 – 35 %
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 15 – 25 %
Dipropylene Glycol Methyl Ether Acetate 15 – 25 %
Dipropylene Glycol Mono Butyl Ether 5 – 15%
Distillates Petroleum, Hydrotreated Middle 5- 15 %
Carbon Dioxide (aerosol only) 1 – 4 %

I haven't had anything to test it on yet, but I mixed up the acetone/ATF mix in a bottle & after two days the bottle isn't melted or softened or anything else detrimental. Only time will tell if the cap can keep that acetone from evaporating, though. Acetone is hard to keep from "seeking" a way out, which is probably why it's a good penetrant.
For a container, I searched for polyethylene and LDPE bottles and settled on the 1oz squeeze bottles from the ebay seller below. I got some extras- very handy for applying some oil in small amounts in a controlled way.

http://shop.ebay.com/kentara9614/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

%21Bj,1LTQ%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqUH-C0Es+GvvtgGBLTgH2ykO%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Tested to be far better than any available oil. Do a Google search for Machinist's Workshop magazine penetrating oil and you will find the same info on dozens of forums citing the magazine article. Which I cannot find online.

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results!

*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix........53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.*

I was fixing to say Kroil is the best but have never tried the ATF-Acetone mix. That study shows that the Kroil is probable the best store bought stuff though.

For the convenience factor of a finished product in a compressed can, I'd have gone for Kroil but haven't had any luck with finding it retail & the few places with it on the Internet want too much for shipping.

If you can find it- get it. I've heard good stuff about it.

For the convenience factor of a finished product in a compressed can, I'd have gone for Kroil but haven't had any luck with finding it retail & the few places with it on the Internet want too much for shipping.

If you can find it- get it. I've heard good stuff about it.

I have the luxury of borrowing a can here and there from work.

Back