• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Texas Electricity rates doubled!

winkosmosis said:
I can't believe people are spouting this party line rhetoric about democrats preventing oil drilling. Give me a break. There is plenty of oil drilling, and the lack of drilling on some protected lands is inconsequential. There's not much oil in ANWR. Even if there WAS enough oil to make a difference in price, it would only delay the price increases slightly. It's a limited resource, and usage is only going up. The sooner we come to terms, like we are doing now, the better off we'll be in the future.
Drilling oil doesn't mean you permanently increase production forever, just that you use it sooner rather than later.

I map oil leases for Anadarko

I agree, this shoot up in oil is a bubble and its about to pop, a couple of VC's and investors I know from NYC who know a heck of a lot more than I do are already bailing out, saudi and opec are nervous, this puts alot of pressure on alternative fuels of which there are many. Hence saudi's press release about that meeting they announced today about bringing the prices back down, blowing smoke, maybe, only time will tell. Back in the 74 'engineered shortage' when this happened and the oil companies were dropping anchor of the tankers 100 miles out off the east coast waiting for the price to go up a couple of bucks [This I know for fact, at the time I was flying anti-submarine patrols on P3's out of willow grove with VP66 and VP64, from maine to florida and used to see them anchored out past the 50 fathom curve] it created a backlash that for the time was quite strong. Resulted in the feds starting up the 'Alternative fuels corporation' that scared the pants off the opec people, they in no way shape or form wanted ANY research in that direction for fear it would produce results and I can imagine it is having the same results today. There ARE people out there that want things to remain the same and when I say people I mean investors, retirement funds, VC's, etc, pretty much anyone who owns energy stocks. It does not surprise me that the feds are throwing up roadblocks for the coal to gas plants which are quite capable of producing not only LPG but gasoline and diesel that is much more pure than any refinery produces.
After some further poking around I found it was not only the governor of Montana that was being stonewalled by the feds but 8 other states that have running coal to gas plants as well, it took some digging and I'm surprised that more has not been made of this by the media but with the time they are wasting pushing Obama at every opportunity I guess there must not be any reporters to do any real investigative reporting.

Mike

There is a single solitary Nuke plant Early site permit issued in the US currently.
And one more permit application pending...
Your electric bills and being forced onto POLR contracts are due to people not looking at what an REP really is... Most are nothing more than a shell company with no real assets, just an office and a couple of phone banks... kinda like Enron....

Last edited:
Hey Ecomike, so how much is your elec? If you don't mine me asking.. I have home owners out here that has bills around 1,000.. So i know what it is like to have high bills.. My old house was about 600.00 a month.. I installed a new a/c, 16 seer.. bill is now around 250.000 a month..How old is your house? You can upgrade your windows to save money too.. Today was over 100, same till fall.. Then we will go down to the 90's..So that's like 5 months of running our a/c's... My 2 cents

scottmcneal said:
Hey Ecomike, so how much is your elec? If you don't mine me asking.. I have home owners out here that has bills around 1,000.. So i know what it is like to have high bills.. My old house was about 600.00 a month.. I installed a new a/c, 16 seer.. bill is now around 250.000 a month..How old is your house? You can upgrade your windows to save money too.. Today was over 100, same till fall.. Then we will go down to the 90's..So that's like 5 months of running our a/c's... My 2 cents

I was told today that the POLR rates here are as high as $0.30 per Kwh. My last bill for this tiny 890 sq ft house was right at $300 at the old rate or $0.14. This month I don't even know what the rate will be yet, but it will be at least 30% higher than last month, at least $0.17 per Kwh. I am expecting the next bill to be $350 to $400, and August might hit $500 for all I know.

House was built in 1949.

I can't justify doing the insulation and windows upgrades until I get the house raised, which will probably leave me too broke to run the AC or do the insulation and window upgrades after I raise it anyway. Raising the house will probably result in extensive sheet rock and hard wood floor damage. I already have sheet rock damage from a cracked slab, and years of wandering by the concrete slab pieces, so raising it is sure to drop parts of the walls and ceiling on the floor. So I don't dare do the wall, ceiling, repairs and insulation and energy efficient windows until I have solved the flooding problem. May not be worth it as some of the latest global warming reports say that I will be 15 feet under water in the Gulf of Mexico in 20 to 40 years anyway. So basically I am screwed anyway I go. Unless I float the House!!!!!:sunshine:

w_howey,

Knowing what the the REPs really are, or are not is of little use since we must pick one of them or get off the grid.:shiver:

RichP,

Your are right, in fact the people I work for are getting most of their bonus, expansion work off the huge increase in oil industry drillling and exploration going on right here, right now, so they don't want to see the bubble burst, and I don't want to see it completely collapse either. As I said before if it is allowed to go too high for too long then the market price speculation moves into overdrilling, over expansion, over building in an unsustainable manner, just like it did in 1980. When the boom or bubble goes bust everyone goes broke, the market collapses and everyone gets laid off and the drilling and expansion stops again, just like it did in 1980. Boom and bust. But this time if oil goes bust like it did last time in 1980, the US economy might not survive due the existing Mortgage and financial crisis (brought on by excessive deregulation) and huge budget and trade deficits we have now. We could easily end up where we were in 1930. Except this time the world is full of NUKES.

THe FED board members are obviously scared to death that (1929 collapse) might happen, evidenced by the 2.0 % Fed funds rate, while the dollar gets shreded, and oil and gold go through the roof!

I have not seen the Saudi oil news today, sounds like good news, I will check it out. It's also nice to see some one else here remembers some of the real recent history, and saw some of it first hand so they can still report it here to these younger guys while they are still young enough to have open minds. As you pointed out, I will rephrase it a bit, if I own a limited supply of oil refineries, and I am making good money from them, why build more refineries and drive the prices and my profits down. I read reports in the spot oil and gas market last week (Futures market news) that showed that the refineries in the US cut back production recently to where they are running at 78.x% 0f capacity, versus about 80% capacity a month ago. So where is this refinery shortage that is causing higher oil prices?

winkosmosis,

Nice to here a report of some facts from someone who is actually working in the oil business, thanks for the post and thanks for sharing!

ehall,

Thought I forgot you? Not a chance, LOL.

The difference is that we can vote government officials in and out of office. We have little if any control over private enterprize, which is why we need some improvements in elected official oversight of industry and commerce. When was the last time you voted for officers at Enron, Exxon, GE, or....? Or even had the chance to vote for them, or have any say in their operations other than through the government?

You said "Any of that can also be provided by private enterprise under various kinds of financial arrangements, probably at less cost and lower corruption"
and you said
"You seem to think that corruption is missing from politics, even though you cite examples where it exists"

Voting people in and out of office is one of the few tools we have to help us limit the corruption in private enterprise and in government. If we turn everything over to private enterprise we loose total control, it is that simple.

By the way, back to my government operated road system in the USA comments and your comment above about less cost and less corruption when done by private enterprise. In case no one noticed most of the road building work is actually done by competive bid by private enterprise, not by the government. The Government simply oversees the overall process and retains title to the roads, which the government controls and we the tax payers own!

I just don't like the idea of all the roads in the USA being private toll roads, DO YOU????

Too much government and too much free, private enterprise are both bad!

Right now we have a goverment that refuses to act on our behalf while private enterprise is allowed to rape and plunder the country, because too many of those in power in the government are sleeping with the enemy instead of fighting for us.

I just don't like the idea of all the roads in the USA being private toll roads, DO YOU????
I don't care one way or the other. If it was actual Toll Roads with booths and all then the cost would be transparent and I could decide what roads to use based on quality vs cost. With taxes I pay for roads whether I use them or not. Fine, I don't have a problem with underwriting ~Arkansas roads they can't afford them. So really I don't care.

Ike built the Interstate system as a national security matter anyway, after he got first hand experience with Hitler's autobahn. It wasn't a Great Social Project or whatever.

I'm glad you remembered that the Feds do not have road crews. Instead they hand money (with strings) to the states who in turn run it in house or contract it out. Some states like NY and IL have kickback fees built-in to that. Not that there's any corruption or anything.

ehall said:
I don't care one way or the other. If it was actual Toll Roads with booths and all then the cost would be transparent and I could decide what roads to use based on quality vs cost.

Well then I for one am glad you are not running the road system here in the USA. Glad to hear you have no problem with getting scr*wed by toll road fees, as long as they are transparent, LOL.:roflmao:

ehall said:
With taxes I pay for roads whether I use them or not. Fine, I don't have a problem with underwriting ~Arkansas roads they can't afford them. So really I don't care.

I am under the impression that most of the roads are paid for with gasoline and diesel fuel excise road taxes, not all, but most, so at least in part you and I, only pay taxes for use of the roads when you use them. So your statement is not entirely true.

ehall said:
Ike built the Interstate system as a national security matter anyway, after he got first hand experience with Hitler's autobahn. It wasn't a Great Social Project or whatever.

Don't know where you got the "Great Social Program" from, I was the one who said that Eisenhower built them for national security reasons! And that reason is still just as valid today as it was then.

My point was that there are good national security reasons for having a federal government system in control, partial monopoly of sorts, for things such as the roads which is under the control of publicly elected officials that we can replace at the polls periodically. Some things are just too important to leave to private enterprise alone. A reliable cost effective power grid is also one of those things that comes under the national security needs agenda in my opinion! Keep in mind I did not suggest the goverment should also build all the roads, yes leave that to the lowest bidder, legitamate private contractor.

Try figting a war or terrorist attack in the middle of a black out, power grid failure like the last one in the north east, with a series of independent toll road freeways running coast to coast free to take advantage of limited traffic path options. Imagine stopping to pay toll road fess every few blocks on a coast to coast drive across the USA. :(

Not my idea of a way to do things.

Ecomike said:
Well then I for one am glad you are not running the road system here in the USA. Glad to hear you have no problem with getting scr*wed by toll road fees, as long as they are transparent, LOL.:roflmao:
OTOH you are ecstatic to get screwed by highway bills laden with pork spending as long as it's hidden in your taxes. That's sooo much better :thumbup: Some people can't manage finances I guess.

:banghead:

I am posting this because some people seem to believe that all environmentalists are Democrats, and that they oppose anything and everything having to do with creating a sound, solid energy policy for this country. While we can argue tell hell freezes over, over individual details of any such plan, I was impressed with parts of what I read here. It does not sound like a group who plans to block attmpts to solve the energy crisis. I think I will see what McCain's web site says next.
I pulled this off of Obama's web site 5 minutes ago:

"Invest in a Clean Energy Future
  • Invest $150 Billion over 10 Years in Clean Energy: Obama will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial-scale renewable energy, invest in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid. A principal focus of this fund will be devoted to ensuring that technologies that are developed in the U.S. are rapidly commercialized in the U.S. and deployed around the globe.
  • Double Energy Research and Development Funding: Obama will double science and research funding for clean energy projects including those that make use of our biomass, solar and wind resources.
  • Invest in a Skilled Clean Technologies Workforce: Obama will use proceeds from the cap-and-trade auction program to invest in job training and transition programs to help workers and industries adapt to clean technology development and production. Obama will also create an energy-focused Green Jobs Corps to connect disconnected and disadvantaged youth with job skills for a high-growth industry.
  • Convert our Manufacturing Centers into Clean Technology Leaders: Obama will establish a federal investment program to help manufacturing centers modernize and Americans learn the new skills they need to produce green products.
  • Clean Technologies Deployment Venture Capital Fund: Obama will create a Clean Technologies Venture Capital Fund to fill a critical gap in U.S. technology development. Obama will invest $10 billion per year into this fund for five years. The fund will partner with existing investment funds and our National Laboratories to ensure that promising technologies move beyond the lab and are commercialized in the U.S
  • Require 25 Percent of Renewable Electricity by 2025: Obama will establish a 25 percent federal Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) to require that 25 percent of electricity consumed in the U.S. is derived from clean, sustainable energy sources, like solar, wind and geothermal by 2025.
  • Develop and Deploy Clean Coal Technology: Obama will significantly increase the resources devoted to the commercialization and deployment of low-carbon coal technologies. Obama will consider whatever policy tools are necessary, including standards that ban new traditional coal facilities, to ensure that we move quickly to commercialize and deploy low carbon coal technology.
Support Next Generation Biofuels

• Deploy Cellulosic Ethanol: Obama will invest federal resources, including tax incentives, cash prizes and government contracts into developing the most promising technologies with the goal of getting the first two billion gallons of cellulosic ethanol into the system by 2013.
  • Expand Locally-Owned Biofuel Refineries: Less than 10 percent of new ethanol production today is from farmer-owned refineries. New ethanol refineries help jumpstart rural economies. Obama will create a number of incentives for local communities to invest in their biofuels refineries.
  • Establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard: Barack Obama will establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard to speed the introduction of low-carbon non-petroleum fuels. The standard requires fuels suppliers to reduce the carbon their fuel emits by ten percent by 2020.
  • Increase Renewable Fuel Standard: Obama will require 36 billion gallons of renewable fuels to be included in the fuel supply by 2022 and will increase that to at least 60 billion gallons of advanced biofuels like cellulosic ethanol by 2030.
Set America on Path to Oil Independence

Obama's plan will reduce oil consumption by at least 35 percent, or 10 million barrels per day, by 2030. This will more than offset the equivalent of the oil we would import from OPEC nations in 2030.
  • Increase Fuel Economy Standards: Obama will double fuel economy standards within 18 years. His plan will provide retooling tax credits and loan guarantees for domestic auto plants and parts manufacturers, so that they can build new fuel-efficient cars rather than overseas companies. Obama will also invest in advanced vehicle technology such as advanced lightweight materials and new engines.
Improve Energy Efficiency 50 Percent by 2030

• Set National Building Efficiency Goals: Barack Obama will establish a goal of making all new buildings carbon neutral, or produce zero emissions, by 2030. He'll also establish a national goal of improving new building efficiency by 50 percent and existing building efficiency by 25 percent over the next decade to help us meet the 2030 goal.
  • Establish a Grant Program for Early Adopters: Obama will create a competitive grant program to award those states and localities that take the first steps to implement new building codes that prioritize energy efficiency.
  • Invest in a Digital Smart Grid: Obama will pursue a major investment in our utility grid to enable a tremendous increase in renewable generation and accommodate modern energy requirements, such as reliability, smart metering, and distributed storage
Restore U.S. Leadership on Climate Change

• Create New Forum of Largest Greenhouse Gas Emitters: Obama will create a Global Energy Forum — that includes all G-8 members plus Brazil, China, India, Mexico and South Africa –the largest energy consuming nations from both the developed and developing world. The forum would focus exclusively on global energy and environmental issues.
  • Re-Engage with the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change: The UNFCCC process is the main international forum dedicated to addressing the climate problem and an Obama administration will work constructively within it.
Barack Obama's Record

• Renewable Fuels: Obama has worked on numerous efforts in the Senate to increase access to and use of renewable fuels. Obama passed legislation with Senator Jim Talent (R-MO) to give gas stations a tax credit for installing E85 ethanol refueling pumps. The tax credit covers 30 percent of the costs of switching one or more traditional petroleum pumps to E85, which is an 85 percent ethanol/15 percent gasoline blend. Obama also sponsored an amendment that became law providing $40 million for commercialization of a combined flexible fuel vehicle/hybrid car within five years."
found at:

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/energy/

winkosmosis said:
I can't believe people are spouting this party line rhetoric about democrats preventing oil drilling. Give me a break. There is plenty of oil drilling, and the lack of drilling on some protected lands is inconsequential. There's not much oil in ANWR. Even if there WAS enough oil to make a difference in price, it would only delay the price increases slightly. It's a limited resource, and usage is only going up. The sooner we come to terms, like we are doing now, the better off we'll be in the future.
Drilling oil doesn't mean you permanently increase production forever, just that you use it sooner rather than later.

I map oil leases for Anadarko

I think this is why we don't see more drilling. Democrats think people are stupid and need to be taxed and taken care of. The sooner we learn that oil is bad the sooner our environment will be clean and we stupid people will live longer, work longer and be able to pay taxes longer.

I don't think Democrats are evil, I just think they think they are smarter and better than any of the lower forms of life, like Conservatives. I guess we are lucky that they like us, otherwise they might just move out of the country and leave us alone. :shocked:

Where would they move to? France?

A light at the end of the tunnel, news today:

"No ponds, no fresh water, no harvesting, no oils. One algal biofuel company says it's found
a way to convert algae directly into ethanol on the cheap.

Is it, in fact, a watershed in biofuels from algae?

Naples, Fla.-based Algenol Biofuels says it has found a way to inexpensively bring
third-generation biofuels to industrial scale.

And, unlike most algal biofuel companies, it's apparently got a licensing deal for an $850
million project to show for it.

The company believes its seawater-based process can generate up to a billion gallons of
algal ethanol per year from a facility in Mexico.

“We’re not in the biodiesel business, the lipids business or oil business,” according to CEO
Paul Woods. “We believe we have the most advanced third-generation technology. Our
process is completely different.”

Algenol claims to use algae, sunlight, CO2 and seawater in closed bioreactors to produce
ethanol, not the biodiesel most conventional algae companies are pursuing.

Woods told Cleantech Group today that because his company does not use freshwater
and does not harvest the algae, the process is much less expensive.

“You have to do it cheaply, or you have no process,” said Woods.

Woods did not specify how cheap, however.

With a reported 11 years of research and 10 years of patents under its belt, Algenol
formally introduced itself and an $850 million project with Sonora Fields S.A.P.I. de C.V.,
a wholly owned subsidiary of Mexican-owned BioFields.

The privately-funded company said it is expecting yields of 6,000 gallons per acre per
year, and expects to increase that figure to 10,000 by year end.

By contrast, corn yields approximately 360 gallons per acre per year, and sugarcane 890
gallons, according to Woods.

“Basically we can take in 1.5 million tons of CO2 and convert it into 100 million gallons of
ethanol,” said Woods.

“We will be the largest consumer of CO2 on the planet.”

The Algenol process occurs in bioreactors that are three-feet by fifty-feet and shaped like
soda bottles, said Woods.

According to Woods, during the process, algae consumes sunlight and more than 90
percent of the system's CO2 through photosynthesis, wherein the sugars are converted into
ethanol. The ethanol is immediately pumped out and evaporates into the bioreactor which
is captured every night.

“This process overcomes the enormous problems other companies face,” said Woods.
“We don’t use food. We don’t use feedstock. We don’t use freshwater,” emphasized
Woods. “All this really helps the cost structure.”

When asked why the company, which was founded in 2006, finally decided to reveal itself,
Woods said that it was keen on keeping mum while it was bringing the process to scale,
which has been a difficult feat in the algal biofuel industry.

Companies like LiveFuels, GreenFuel Technologies, Aquaflow Bionomic and others have
all experienced ebb and flow when it comes to announcing commercial scale production.

The only other algal biofuel company touting “scale” production is San Francisco-based
Solazyme, which, coincidentally, today announced its microalgae-derived fuel has become
the first algal-based biodiesel to pass the American Society for Testing and Materials
D-975 specifications.

Solazyme had no comment on Algenol's development, but has experienced momentum in
commercializing its fuel.

At the beginning of this year, Solazyme said it signed a biodiesel feedstock development
and testing agreement with Chevron Technology Ventures (see Solazyme to work with
Chevron on algae fuel).

Last summer it announced a similar deal with Seattle-based Imperium Renewables, a
company which shelved its planned IPO earlier this year (see Solazyme to supply algae oil
to Imperium and Imperium Renewables puts IPO on hold).

Woods said a production facility in Sonora, Mexico is expected to be online at the end of
2009, scaling to an anticipated 1 billion gallons in four-and-a-half years, involving some 3.5
million bioreactors.

The licensing agreement with Mexico's Biofields reportedly involves a deal to sell the
ethanol to the Mexican government.

“We’re making a significant departure from other technologies because we’re making
ethanol now, and will be selling it next year,” continued Woods.

“I think we will be supplying the cheapest fuel on the planet.”

In an effort to make waves with the U.S. government, Woods visited Washington D.C. last
week to formally introduce his technology and explain how there are other ways to ethanol
than just cellulosic ethanol.

Since its inception in 2006, the privately funded company has seen $70 million in
investments, with zero venture capital money to its name, said Woods.

He explained that the majority of the money comes from the founders, of whom the
majority has made successful exits as former CEOs from the natural gas and
pharmaceutical industries."

http://media.cleantech.com/2961/alg...e-sonora-mexico?cvemailLink=00000337_00003426

Funny, they've already outsourced it to Mexico...lol....so we'll still be dependent on foreign fuel....

interesting concept though...

JNickel101 said:
Funny, they've already outsourced it to Mexico...lol....so we'll still be dependent on foreign fuel....

interesting concept though...

No doubt if it is successful it will be deployed here and all over the world in short order.

My last exciting college course was a graduate class in Bio-Chemical Engineering, 1996, Dr. Willson, at U of H. He has been at the center a lot of genetic bio-engineering since the 1980's. We have been expecting these kinds of developments for several years now. Just takes lots of dedictaed research investment.

Now if someone would 'downs scale' it for home use, a few 8ft tall clear poly tanks in direct sunlight, could even use the tanks that many home users use as heat absorbers during the day and heat emitters at nite. I know they still have about 5,000 varieties of algae to test to see which one is the most efficient. I actually have the 6ft tall windows across the front of my house, SE facing, which does provide a lot of solar gain during the winter.

Regarding lobbiests, and who owns and controls the legislators:

"Electric Companies Spend Millions On Lobbyists:rattle:pOSTED: 2:46 pm CST November 14, 2007
UPDATED: 9:13 am CST November 15, 2007
The following story is a verbatim transcript of an Investigators story that aired on Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2007, on KPRC Local 2 at 10 p.m.Tonight, Local 2 investigates millions of dollars that may have affected your electric bill. And no, it's not what you've had to spend.We discovered it's what the Texas electric industry spent lobbying in Austin as lawmakers made decisions on issues affecting your electric bill.
Was it just good business? Or did all that cash mean lights out for your concerns? Investigative Reporter Amy Davis tracks the money trail.In the months just before your air conditioner went on full blast and your electric bill hit the summer high, lobbyists hired by the electric industry were burning tracks at the State Capitol in Austin."They would be the No. 1 single business interest in the Texas lobby," said Andrew Wheat with Texans for Public Justice. "They have a massive influence."Wheat says it's all powered by massive amounts of money spent on lobbyists. How much?Just take TXU Energy, along with Texas Energy Future Capital Holdings, LLC -- the private investment group trying to buy the company.Together they flooded the capitol with 86 lobbyists, spending somewhere between $1.9 million and $3.7 million during the past legislative session alone."That's how you get a receptive audience," said Wheat. "That's how you get your phone calls returned."Wheat and his Austin non-profit group Texans for Public Justice tracked the lobbying cash spent by all Texas electric companies. It's money spent to get the companies' messages to the legislators you elect -- the same legislators who voted on several bills affecting how much you pay for electricity.The numbers show TXU is not alone.Consider this: There are 182 state representatives and senators serving in Austin.Together, the electricity industry paid for 343 lobbyists -- almost two for every lawmaker.CenterPoint Energy paid for 16 lobbyists, spending somewhere between $645,000 and $1.3 million.American Electric Power, which provides electricity to parts of south and west Texas, had seven lobbyists. It paid between $725,000 and $1 million.The Association of Electric Companies in Texas paid for 21 lobbyists, spending between $460,000 and $975,000.The total lobbying tab for all of the electricity industry was somewhere between $10 million and $20 million.Where does that leave you? Critics say it can cut the consumer almost completely out of the legislative process. They say the industry gets much of what it wants, despite complaints by customers."We don't have a place at the table," said Wheat. "We don't have two lobbyists for every state lawmaker in Austin. The electric companies do." "This is something for many of those companies, they feel it takes," said Doug Schuler, who teaches business and government relations at the Jesse H. Jones School of Management at Rice University.Schuler said it's just good business for the electricity industry to lobby Austin because shareholders want whatever it takes to get what's best for the company.However, Schuler said just hiring lobbyists doesn't mean a business gets its way."It doesn't mean they get exactly what they want," Schuler said. "They'd like that to be the case, but it just doesn't work that way."The Texas Ethics Commission only requires a company report a range of what it spent on lobbyists. That's why we listed the minimum and maximum amounts.CenterPoint Energy tells us those amounts represent lobbying for its electricity side and its gas and pipeline businesses. A spokesperson said much of CenterPoint's lobbying was the result of the sale of TXU, and the lasting effect any legislative decisions may have had on CenterPoint.From deregulation confusion to rising prices, we've heard your electric bill complaints. What did those with the power to make changes say through all of these changes?Thursday on Local 2 News at 6:50 a.m., Amy tracks a trail of e-mails at the Public Utility Commission. However, it's what we were not able to see that may further your frustrations."

More Information:
Previous Stories:

I switched REPs twice this year, in the last 4 months. I came to the following conclusions that:

It is a mistake not to have, and keep a fixed price contract with an REP that has a good 6 to 12 months to go, and to buy into those contracts around April or between August and September when natural gas futures are typically at their lowest (another topic....). Here in Texas Natural Gas prices, futures have a huge effect on retail electric rates. They peaked here at about .28 cents per KWh this year. :banghead:

Second, make sure your fixed price contract is with a large well financed company that also practices fiscal responsibility (doesn't play the futures market with real risky derivatives or practices). If you have any idea how to do that let me know!:banghead::eyes:

Oh, and say your prays, practice you voodoo or what ever you do to increase your luck!!!!!

So, I finally signed a 12 month contract with one of the two largest REPs here last month, the largest in my area, and one of the largest in the state. Hell the local stadium is named after them, RELIANT ENERGY!

So then Hurricane Ike hits, and this weeks news says they lost 1 billion dollars last month due to unsold, over bought (Kinda like being stocked) energy (natural gas futures pre bought or contracted ahead of use, idled power plants maybe, don't have all the details), but between that loss and the credit crunch they are talking this week about selling the company, meaning they are in trouble in now. So once again I am probably a short preiod of time away from getting screwed again. Accept this time, if Reliant goes out of business about 1.8 million Texas are going to screwed this time, not just 40,000.

I doubt the current stock market, financial situation favors their getting bought or getting a loan.

In the news:

http://www.gseconsultinglp.com/News.aspx?Item=115

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/6043725.html

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publishe...&topicId=100007979&docId=l:864517315&start=11

Reliant was also hurt by the moves, but a steep drop in natural gas prices since June and the widespread power outages in the company's key territory, Houston, cut particularly deep.
A week ago the company cut its profit forecast by nearly $800 million, including $350 million from the retail business due in part to lost power sales in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.The lost sales would have led the company to violate the terms of a vital credit agreement with Merrill Lynch, so Reliant had to find other financing in a hurry. Last week it said it raised $1 billion in new loans and equity investments.The company also said it would need to cut its retail business in order to reduce its credit requirements, which it would do mainly by reducing the size of its commercial and industrial customer base.Reliant's share price fell hard in response to the news last week, losing more than half its value in a few days.Reliant appears to be in a credit spiral where one problem begets another that doesn't end until either a well-financed party steps in to stop the bleeding or the company goes out of business, said Rob Shearer, a partner with law firm Baker Hostetler who does mergers and acquisition work.Reliant Energy will reduce the size of its Texas retail electric business by changing how it manages risk and reducing the number of business customers it serves as it contends with the ongoing credit industry crunch and a roller-coaster year in local power markets.
In a conference call Tuesday with analysts and investors, Reliant officials said the retailer, the state's largest by power delivered, has to find ways to cut the amount of collateral required to run its retail business.
About 70 percent of the company's profits come from residential customers, but 70 percent of the money it needs to post as collateral for wholesale power purchases is for the customers in Reliant's commercial and industrial segment.
Chief Operating Officer Brian Landrum said the company spends $7 billion a year for the power it sells to customers. But it is required by its power suppliers to have lines of credit that can cover the changing price on up to 450 billion cubic feet of natural gas — a power plant fuel that essentially drives wholesale electricity prices.
Since commercial customers generally have longer-term contracts, the company's exposure to natural gas price swings can be tougher to manage in those accounts.
"We need to lower the capital requirements of the business in light of the dramatic increase recently in the cost of credit," Landrum said. "We will focus on building those parts of the business that use the least capital to generate the highest return."
Residential customers won't see changes in their existing contracts with Reliant, company spokeswoman Pat Hammond said.
But renewing commercial customers may have to accept shorter-term contracts or deals structured so they bear more of the risk from changing commodity prices.
Shares of Reliant fell $2.73 to $7.35 on Tuesday, a 27 percent drop, which was the company's biggest since July 2002, when investors dumped the stock amid concern the company might run short of cash. Reliant has lost more than half of its stock value since Sept. 15.
Reliant operates nearly 15,000 megawatts of power plants in nine states where it produces power for the wholesale market.
On Monday, Reliant said it was cutting its 2008 revenue projections by about $800 million, with as much as $350 million coming out of the retail business and $480 million from the wholesale business.
On the retail side about $200 million is directly related to Hurricane Ike, including the reduction in customer power purchases because of widespread power outages in the Houston area, Landrum said.
He attributed another $100 million in reduced revenue projections to wholesale prices the company locked in last spring when natural gas prices were higher than they are now, and to cooler August weather that reduced demand for power to run air conditioning.
Many retail electric providers try to hedge against changing wholesale prices through futures contracts, but can lose money if spot prices turn out to be lower at the time the contracts come due.
The company said Monday it was terminating a credit agreement with Merrill Lynch that it had used to backstop much of the power purchases for its retail business, replacing that line of credit with a $650 million loan from Goldman Sachs and a $350 million equity investment from First Reserve on terms much more costly than the agreement with Merrill.
"I would certainly acknowledge that it was not an ideal time to raise money in the capital markets and it was expensive to do that," Reliant Chief Executive Mark Jacobs said in Tuesday's conference call.
The year 2008 has also been particularly rough for Texas electric retailers.
Wholesale power prices rose sharply in the first half of the year because of a run-up in the price of natural gas, Texas' main generation fuel. Some companies failed to hedge properly against those increases through long-term wholesale contracts.
The wholesale market also saw a number of price spikes in April, May and June mainly because of weaknesses in how the state's main grid operator managed congestion on its power lines. Those spikes sent some cash-strapped companies scrambling to meet financial obligations to the grid operator. Five retailers went out of business. A few others sold their customers to larger rivals.
Reliant was already struggling with difficulties in its retail business this year but a $4 to $5 drop in the price of natural gas in recent months, combined with Hurricane Ike, led to the actions this week.

All the more reason these power companies need to be put back under restrictions and regulated as public utilities, take the killer profits out of them and make them live within say a 10% profit margin. Affordable power is something this country cannot live without. We had a major oil and gas supplier go out of business here last year, no warning, literally overnite. They had over 8,000 prepaid customers that were out thousands each and had to scramble to find other suppliers for Oil and Propane for heat. I have a few shares of stock in PPL and it makes me squirm when I see the money they are making. If we are not going to put the power companies back under the leash we need to make some really fast advances in cheap solar arrays for home owners so they are not limited to one means of supply, the power wires on the poles. There are times I wished I still lived in NJ where the state subsidizes 50% of a solar installation which brings one of those whole house $50,000 arrays down to an affordable level that can be paid off in a reasonable amount of time.

My gut reaction is to agree with that, but it seems the Enron pushed legislation that deregulated natural gas produced locally (in the USA) may be the real culprit, or at least co-conspirator on top of market speculators this past year that ran the futures market for NG up 200% in just 3 months. This same sort of stuff along with Enron pulling the strings bankrupted the largest electric provider in California in 2001, and nearly bankrupted the state of California for the same reasons.

What I do know is the way it is set up right now is now working.

My gut reaction is to agree with that, but it seems the Enron pushed legislation that deregulated natural gas produced locally (in the USA) may be the real culprit, or at least co-conspirator on top of market speculators this past year that ran the futures market for NG up 200% in just 3 months. This same sort of stuf along with Enron pulling the strings bankrupted the largest electric provider in California in 2001, and nearly bankrupted the state of California for the same reasons.

There is a bunch of stuff that plain and simple we cannot exist as a society without, air, clean water, fuel and electricity. They have figured out how to drive the price of fuel and electricity and companies are making millions selling bottled water to idiots, I bet there is a group *somewhere* working on the air angle...

Back