• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Texas Electricity rates doubled!

lancey3 said:
With the stupid liberals limiting drilling opportunities and ruining our country how can you expect things to flourish.

Corruption is a human trait not an economic trait; we the people are ruining the free market system NOT the system itself. Fix the human flaw
</rant>
I will say it again the liberals have not been in control of the legislative branch since before 1984, and have not been running the country since 1984, so how can you blame the lack of oil well drilling in this country on liberals?

And I suppose the democrats are also to blame for the lack of adequit oil well drilling outside the USA to meet world demand?

So are you suggesting that we solve the probelm by getting rid of the Humans?

Last edited:
Ecomike said:
I will say it again the liberals have not been in control of the legislative branch since before 1984, and have not been running the country since 1984, so how can you blame the lack of oil well drilling in this country on liberals?
Well they are the ones that are either blocking or filibustering legislation in the senate, which they still controlled in 2000 and now control again. The last time the republicans controlled both houses and were able to get ANWR legislation to the president, Clinton vetoed it (1996).

Every so often we also get to hear leftards say that fuel should cost more so people would use less of it. Then they bitch when it costs more!

And I suppose the democrats are also to blame for the lack of adequit oil well drilling outside the USA to meet world demand?
No that is the free market, which you think can be eliminated by electing democrats! :roflmao:

So are you suggesting that we solve the probelm by getting rid of the Humans?
My suggestion is that since the envirotard-captive liberals have fucked things up to the point where all energy is economically unviable or socially unacceptable then maybe they should not be given a monopoly on fixing the problem!

I can't really think of any industry that was deregulated outside the telcos that has benefited the people of this country. Deregulating the telcos forced TECHNOLOGICAL competition at the right time [PC's and affordable computers]. Other than that deregulation has not helped the PUC customers. In 2010 we come off our protected status, one power company in one neighboring county came off 6 months ago, their rates went up 35% in the first month, have been going up 10% every quarter for a solid 55% increase that shows no end in sight.
In self defense I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get the $25K for the solar setup I want on my roof and I'm trying like hell to do this before 2010 rolls around.
We have a homeowner association that has already blocked a few people here who wanted to put up windmills, they managed to get it written into the covenants the last time they updated them and so far the local courts have upheld them so I have first hand nimby knowledge.

Where is a naquita generator when you need one....

Shale oil development is blocked, take a guess why

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/06/news/economy/birger_shale.fortune/?postversion=2008060617

The politics of oil shale
Fortune talks to Sens. Orrin Hatch and Wayne Allard about the roadblocks to oil shale production.
By Jon Birger, senior writer

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- You'd think this would be oil shale's moment.

You'd think with gas prices topping $4 and consumers crying uncle, Congress would be moving fast to spur development of a domestic oil resource so vast - 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil shale in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming alone - it could eventually rival the oil fields of Saudi Arabia.

You'd think politicians would be tripping over themselves to arrange photo-ops with Harold Vinegar (whom I profiled in Fortune last November), the brilliant, Brooklyn-born chief scientist at Royal Dutch Shell whose research cracked the code on how to efficiently and cleanly convert oil shale - a rock-like fossil fuel known to geologists as kerogen - into light crude oil.

You'd think all of this, but you'd be wrong.

Last month, the U.S. Senate's Appropriations Committee voted 15-14 to kill a bill that would have ended a one-year moratorium on enacting rules for oil shale development on federal lands (which is where the best oil shale is located). Most maddening of all - at least to someone like myself not steeped in the wacky ways of Washington - the swing vote on the appropriations committee, U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., voted with the majority even though she actually opposes the moratorium.

"Sen. Salazar asked me to vote no. I did so at his request," Landrieu told The Rocky Mountain News. A Landrieu staffer contacted by Fortune doesn't dispute this, but notes that Landrieu did propose a compromise which Republicans rejected.

Arghh!

She was speaking of U.S. Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colo., who has emerged as the Senate's leading oil shale opponent. Salazar inserted the aforementioned moratorium into an omnibus spending bill last December, and in May he proposed a new bill that would extend the moratorium another year.

Salazar's efforts have essentially pulled the rug out from under Shell (RDSA) and other oil companies which have invested many, many millions into oil shale research since the passage of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, which established the original framework for commercial leasing of oil shale lands. (Last year, oil shale represented Shell's single biggest R&D expenditure.)

Salazar says he's simply trying to slow things down in order to ensure environmental considerations don't get trampled in the rush to turn western Colorado into a new Prudhoe Bay. But, ironically, his bid to extend the moratorium comes at a time when his fellow Senate Democrats have been blasting Big Oil for not reinvesting enough of their profits into developing new sources of energy. [...]

Last thing we should do is give these asshats the monopoly power to fix the problem

Ecomike said:
Sounds like you missed the whole Enron story of price manipulation, bribery, fraud, corruption, shutting down power plants in the middle of a heat wave just to drive prices higher in the name of profits, in the so called "Free Market" in the California electric market a few years back.

"Who run Bartertown? Who... run... Bartertown?"

Mad20Max.jpg

The B-1 was not in development @ "Area 51" in 1990...or even in the 80s...it was actually devised in the 60s...So I'm not sure what you think they were buring there in 1990/1994.

Ecomike said:
X2

X2

X2

and I suspect the windmills would make much better scare crows for the corn fields! YES! Got to protect that ethanol feed stock, LOL.

Sure, environmentalists support "renewable" energy, however, they are also the first to bitch and complain about the side effects - if there is so much democratic/environmentalist support, why arent there more of them? Why do attempts to build them keep getting blocked? Its not the republicans doing this...

I'll tell you what, if you want to live in a town that is controlled by the Dems come on over to El Paso. By far one of the poorest cities in Texas, yet we have the highest property taxes in the state. Water rates are through the roof, we have to pay to fix the cities drainage system since it floods once every 100years there. Not to mention the fact that every day the bridges are packed with people coming over from Mexico to drop their kids off at the schools throughout the city.
I'm sorry your electric bill went up, turn your A/C down alittle bit and shut off your lights when your not at home.

ehall said:
Shale oil development is blocked, take a guess why

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/06/news/economy/birger_shale.fortune/?postversion=2008060617

Last thing we should do is give these asshats the monopoly power to fix the problem

And THAT is the irony of the mindset or "way of thinking" of these idiot democrat/environmentalists. They bitch and complain about something, then turn around and block themselves from making any progress!!!! I swear, they just like to bitch and complain to hear themselves talk!!!!!

JNickel101 said:
The B-1 was not in development @ "Area 51" in 1990...or even in the 80s...it was actually devised in the 60s...So I'm not sure what you think they were buring there in 1990/1994.

Does not matter about whether the B1 was or not, the stealth fighter was, that I know for sure, I was in field service and did a few service calls at a couple of non-existent bases out there in the southwest, yea, there are more than one. They use alot of materials and they did burn them as a means to get rid of them, thats an established fact, established by the courts, whats not known was what the materials were, the federal lawyers who were representing the court case in Reno used the secrets act so they could dodge the issue. Bottom line quite a few civilian workers contracted some really nasty health issues up to and including their skin peeling off their bodies and the doctors could get no information about what the cause was so they could treat it, the base would not acknowledge that they even existed, they used security to hide behind instead of accepting responsibility and helping these poor bastards. They even threatened both the families and the lawyers who represented them.
I think that is what pisses me off more than anything, not accepting they were responsible and doing everything they could to take care of their own. What ever happened to honor and doing the right thing, to me those who decided not to are plain and simple SCUM of the earth.

F-117 was the fighter, although "stealth" materials were and still are tested in non-existant bases. Doesn't matter what it was, if it was used on the jets, or if the jets were ever even there...

RichP said:
Does not matter about whether the B1 was or not, the stealth fighter was, that I know for sure, I was in field service and did a few service calls at a couple of non-existent bases out there in the southwest, yea, there are more than one. They use alot of materials and they did burn them as a means to get rid of them, thats an established fact, established by the courts, whats not known was what the materials were, the federal lawyers who were representing the court case in Reno used the secrets act so they could dodge the issue. Bottom line quite a few civilian workers contracted some really nasty health issues up to and including their skin peeling off their bodies and the doctors could get no information about what the cause was so they could treat it, the base would not acknowledge that they even existed, they used security to hide behind instead of accepting responsibility and helping these poor bastards. They even threatened both the families and the lawyers who represented them.
I think that is what pisses me off more than anything, not accepting they were responsible and doing everything they could to take care of their own. What ever happened to honor and doing the right thing, to me those who decided not to are plain and simple SCUM of the earth.

my point was just to get him to get his facts straight....

RichP said:
I can't really think of any industry that was deregulated outside the telcos that has benefited the people of this country. Deregulating the telcos forced TECHNOLOGICAL competition at the right time [PC's and affordable computers]. Other than that deregulation has not helped the PUC customers. In 2010 we come off our protected status, one power company in one neighboring county came off 6 months ago, their rates went up 35% in the first month, have been going up 10% every quarter for a solid 55% increase that shows no end in sight.
In self defense I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get the $25K for the solar setup I want on my roof and I'm trying like hell to do this before 2010 rolls around.
We have a homeowner association that has already blocked a few people here who wanted to put up windmills, they managed to get it written into the covenants the last time they updated them and so far the local courts have upheld them so I have first hand nimby knowledge.

Or a fully powered zero point module! :woohoo:

I have been somewhat impressed by some thermal solar collectors I have read about. One of them was recently developed by an ex Microsoft billionaire IIRC (It was either in Wired magazine or MIT tecnology Reveiw about 18 months ago). He had figured out how to eliminate hundereds of motors used to focus parabolic mirror reflectors in an array (they focus sunlight on a long thin wall tube that has liquified salt pumped through the tube at high pressure and was producing high pressure high temperature steam directly from sunlight to power a generator at a fraction of the cost of silicone solar cell modules. It also had a higher conversion efficiency than currently available direct solar cells. But I doubt it is cost effective for one home yet, except maybe for winter heating.

My problem is summer cooling. It has already been in the mid to high 90s daily here for nearly a month now, for the first time I that I can recall in my 53 years living here. The past 4 weeks of record temperatures here are typical of August, and we just went through the normally cool month of May!:bawl:My summer cooling bill for May was the highest bill I have paid for this house in 28 years of living here. $300 for cooling an 850 sq. ft house in May is outrageous. I don't know how the rest of the country is going to survive with their huge houses. The spot market quotes here for electricity have been as high as 0.24 / Kwh this month alone for residential customers in Houston.

OK, Not The Mama, or not the B-1, seems it was the F-117 Stealth from what I just read, but if I recall correctly no one publicly knew what the hell it was for sure at the time (1994), and I think B2 stealth (my mistake, not the B1) was what they (ABC News) thought was being tested (pure speculation in the news story), but back then the public (including me) did not even know that stealth was possible or under development, so like others have said, it does nor really matter which one it was, as it is irrelevant to the story and point I was trying to make.

Quoting from:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/news.html

[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL]"During the 1980s, the men say, classified materials were burned at least once a week in 100-yard-long, 25-foot-wide pits. With security guards standing at the edge, Air Force personnel threw in hazardous chemicals such as methylethylketone, a common cleaning solvent, and other things, such as computers, that produce dioxin when burned. The toxic brew, including drums of hazardous waste trucked in from defense facilities in other states, was ignited with jet fuel and typically burned for eight to 12 hours, the men say. [/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL] Helen Frost says her husband, after being exposed to the thick, black fumes, endured constant headaches and itchy eyes. But, like many of the men, he continued to work because his pay -- about $50,000 a year -- was high and the work was consistent, she says. [/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL] In the mid-1980s, however, dozens of Area 51 workers began developing breathing difficulties, chest pains, neurological problems and chronic skin inflammation -- all classic signs of exposure to toxins. The burning especially affected those who worked outdoors in maintenance and construction, about 150 to 300 yards downwind from the pits. [/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL] The skin condition, which they called "fish scales," broke out on their hands, legs, backs and faces. They say they used emery boards and sandpaper to remove the embarrassing scabs. "I never saw anything like it. We would get it dried up in one spot, and then it would pop up somewhere else," says Stella Kasza, another plaintiff. [/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL] The workers contend that when they asked for protective gear, Air Force officers rebuffed them. "They told us we could buy our own masks and then pointed to the gate and told us we could leave if we didn't like it," recalls one of the John Does, who, like the others, believes that the officers resented the civilians' higher wages. Though the workers used gloves they purchased themselves, they say base-security policy prevented them from bringing in any other protective gear. [/FONT]
Here are some links to the rest of the story:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/news.html

Also:

ABC News Groom Toxic Suit Transcript
Source: ABC World News Tonight
with Peter Jennings

August 1, 1994.
[Supplement to the Groom Lake Desert Rat. The transcript is followed by a press release from George Washington University concerning the suit.]
FORREST SAWYER (fill-in anchor): Some government employees are going to court this week, charging that their work has made them sick. What makes their claim so unusual is what they do and where--at a super secret military base called Groom Lake whose very existence we first reported just a couple of months ago. Here's our legal affairs correspondent Cynthia McFadden.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: These people are not your average commuters. [Workers boarding jets at McCarran Airport.] Among them are engineers and technicians helping develop America's most secret new weapons. Every day they fly a half an hour into the desert from Las Vegas on an airline that doesn't exist.
[In desert.] The planes land at an air base just behind these hills. Showing it to you would be a crime. And if you have ever worked at the air base, talking about it is a crime. And yet some of the workers say they now must talk about environmental crimes they say the government committed.
VICTIM (in shadow, voice disguised): We all done a lot of coughing while the smoke was blowing in our direction. I developed cancer. I guess I'm not cured of it.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: This man and at least a dozen others say that throughout the 1980s a deadly smoke was produced by weekly burnings in huge pits at the air base.
WITNESS (in shadow, voice disguised): There were several trenches about 300 feet long and about 25 to 30 feet across and about 25 feet deep.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN (to WITNESS): What was the purpose of the trenches?
WITNESS: For the destruction of classified material.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: Materials like those used to make the stealth fighter invisible to radar. Where better to dispose of the secret compounds than the secret air base, as seen in this 1988 Russian satellite photograph. An air base where the environmental laws didn't seem to reach.
WITNESS: The running joke was, it was the place that didn't exist, so consequently anything could occur there.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: The Air Force says that while we can't take a picture of the base, they can't object to our showing you this Russian photo. It shows where workers say the trenches were located.
VICTIM: It was thick black smoke. Sometimes it was thick gray. The smell was very nauseating. It would burn your eyes. It would burn your throat.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: And the smoke, say some of those who worked in it, made them sick.
VICTIM: I developed a rash, skin rash. I used sandpaper to get the scale off, because it's the only way I can remove it.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN (to VICTIM): Do other men that you worked with describe a similar rash?
VICTIM: One in particular, yes. He had it all over his body.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: What happened to him?
VICTIM: He died.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: Robert Frost was a sheet metal worker at the base, until he started developing these rashes. Neither he nor his wife could figure out what had caused them. Just before his death, they sent a tissue sample to Peter Kahn, an expert on hazardous chemicals. His conclusion? Robert Frost had been exposed to types of dioxins and dibenzofurons, which are not normally seen in humans.
PROF. PETER KAHN ("Rutgers University"): My only reaction is, what on earth has this man been exposed to?
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: Frost died in 1989 of cirrhosis of the liver, but his widow Helen says that while Frost did drink, he was no alcoholic. She believes the real cause of her husband's death was working at Groom Lake.
HELEN FROST: Who does the government think they are that they can go around killing people. That's called murder.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: The Air Force told Mrs. Frost that it had nothing to do with her husband's death, so she and her daughters, along with a dozen others who worked at the air base, have hired themselves a lawyer.
PROF. JONATHAN TURLEY (to Frost family): Many of our clients may be developing more extensive injuries similar to your father's.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: They want to lift the secrecy surrounding the burning and find out what the workers were exposed to. The government's position has been that these people have no right to go to court, that national security demands continued secrecy. Air Force and Environmental Protection Agency officials said that they would not comment on the pending legal action.
PROF. JONATHAN TURLEY ("George Washington Law Center"): The secrecy oath doesn't mean that my clients have stopped being citizens of the United States. It doesn't mean that they are non-persons and they've got a non-injury.
CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: The government says there were no environmental crimes committed there at Groom Lake, the Air Force base that doesn't exist. They say, nobody's sick. Jonathan Turley and his clients say given a chance they can prove otherwise.
Cynthia McFadden, ABC News, on the road to Groom Lake.

Continued at:

http://www.geocities.com/area51/Shadowlands/6583/bases024.html

and:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/webextras/area51/1994/lawsuits/basesuit.html

http://www.projectcensored.org/static/1995/1995-story21.htm

"In 1994, five unnamed civilian contractors and the widows of contractors Walter Kasza and Robert Frost sued the USAF and the United States Environmental Protection Agency. Their suit, in which they were represented by George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley, alleged they had been present when large quantities of unknown chemicals had been burned in open pits and trenches at Groom. Biopsies taken from the complainants were analyzed by Rutgers University biochemists, who found high levels of dioxin, dibenzofuran, and trichloroethylene in their body fat. The complainants alleged they had sustained skin, liver, and respiratory injuries due to their work at Groom, and that this had contributed to the deaths of Frost and Kasza. The suit sought compensation for the injuries they had sustained, claiming the USAF had illegally handled toxic materials, and that the EPA had failed in its duty to enforce the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (which governs handling of dangerous materials). They also sought detailed information about the chemicals to which they were allegedly exposed, hoping this would facilitate the medical treatment of survivors. Congressman Lee H. Hamilton, former chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, told 60 Minutes reporter Leslie Stahl, "The Air Force is classifying all information about Area 51 in order to protect themselves from a lawsuit."[32]
Citing the State Secrets Privilege, the government petitioned trial judge U.S. District Judge Philip Pro (of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada in Las Vegas) to disallow disclosure of classified documents or examination of secret witnesses, alleging this would expose classified information and threaten national security.[33] When Judge Pro rejected the government's argument, President Bill Clinton issued a Presidential Determination, exempting what it called, "The Air Force's Operating Location Near Groom Lake, Nevada" from environmental disclosure laws. Consequently, Pro dismissed the suit due to lack of evidence. Turley appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, on the grounds that the government was abusing its power to classify material. Secretary of the Air Force Sheila E. Widnall filed a brief that stated that disclosures of the materials present in the air and water near Groom "can reveal military operational capabilities or the nature and scope of classified operations." The Ninth Circuit rejected Turley's appeal,[34] and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear it, putting an end to the complainants' case.
The President continues to annually issue a determination continuing the Groom exception.[35][36][37] This, and similarly tacit wording used in other government communications, is the only formal recognition the U.S. Government has ever given that Groom Lake is more than simply another part of the Nellis complex.
An unclassified memo on the safe handling of F117 material was posted on an Air Force website in 2005. This discussed the same materials for which the complainants had requested information (information the government had claimed was classified). The memo was removed shortly after journalists became aware of it.[38]"

So if the govt has demonstrated its corruption so thoroughly, why do you agitate to give them even more power? Will they be more or less corrupt if they are in charge of all healthcare and energy and everything else?

The best role for govt is watchdog of private market providers, not as a provider with no watchdog.

RichP said:

:(

I bet the homeowners ASSociation is run by Republicans!

I was thinking the same thing, but I have no doubt the local code people here would freek out if i tried to install a windmill.

Aren't you concerned about possible storm damage, like hail, and life expectancy of the solar cells?

Any way I am too busy trying to figure out how to get my house slab raised about 12" before the next flood comes through here. Subsidence is a ruthless unmerciful b*tch.

We have had several years of "500 year flood" breaking records here since 2000. Between that, gasoline prices and Electric rates I am about ready to go pick an early retirement spot out at the nearest freeway underpass before they are all gone! :banghead: :(

Last edited:
Ecomike said:
:(

I bet the homeowners ASSociation is run by Republicans!

I was thinking the same thing, but I have no doubt the local code people here would freek out if i tried to install a windmill.

Aren't you concerned about possible storm damage, like hail, and life expectancy of the solar cells?

Any way I am too bust trying to figure out how to get my house slab raised about 12" before the next flood comes through here. Subsidence is a ruthless unmerciful b*tch.

:banghead: :(

No, it has alot of vaction people or people who are beholden to the vacation people.
As for the solar cells, the shingles I have been looking at have a 20 year warranty and as for hail, not too often, *maybe* once a year if that. The single panels that look like skylights have lexan over them which makes them pretty bullet proof.
As for subsidance, I've seen foundations pumped back up with mud pretty successfully, at least in this area. It's a bit pricey, I followed a 2500sq ft raised ranch on the delaware river that the owner wanted up about 2 feet, that was around $20, however they did have to 'cut' the 2 car garage away from the main house and do that separately.

ehall said:
So if the govt has demonstrated its corruption so thoroughly, why do you agitate to give them even more power? Will they be more or less corrupt if they are in charge of all healthcare and energy and everything else?

That is why we need to replace the Republicans, to get rid of the corruption. My father had the right idea, Vote in new people to office every election for a single term, that way non of them are in power long enough to get good at stealing from the tax payers. :patriot: I have not voted for an encumbant in years that I can recall. Of course in my case here in Texas most of the encumbants are always Republicans. Some of them have finally been endicted here in the last 1.5 years for various crimes.

I am in favor of better control and better oversight of private enterprize by government regulatory agencies, don't recall ever saying the government should get into the business of owning and operating power plants, and power lines, but are you really in favor of giving away part of the USA to Mexico for the new SuperMega toll road highway they are planning to run from Mexico to Chicago right through Texas and the middle of the USA with the largest land grab in history being given away to a foreign national Mexican company to build own, operate and charge tolls on it for traffic? Personally I have no problem with the Goverment owned and operated freeways and road system in the USA, DO YOU?

ehall said:
The best role for govt is watchdog of private market providers, not as a provider with no watchdog.

Finally you said something I sometimes agree with, but the US, state and local government owned and operated roads and highway system in the USA is and has been an exception to that, don't you agree? Another frequent exception is drinking water and wastewater treatment plants, frequently owned and operated by government entities, also large municipal airports owned and operated by the city administrations, even some small towns or municipalities own and operate their own power plants and local grids. And I don't think prisons should be run by private enterprise.

Ecomike said:
Finally you said something I sometimes agree with, but the US, state and local government owned and operated roads and highway system in the USA is and has been an exception to that, don't you agree? Another frequent exception is drinking water and wastewater treatment plants, frequently owned and operated by government entities, also large municipal airports owned and operated by the city administrations, even some small towns or municipalities own and operate their own power plants and local grids. And I don't think prisons should be run by private enterprise.
1) Do you think that stuff is free of corruption???

2) Any of that can also be provided by private enterprise under various kinds of financial arrangements, probably at less cost and lower corruption

You seem to think that corruption is missing from politics, even though you cite examples where it exists

I can't believe people are spouting this party line rhetoric about democrats preventing oil drilling. Give me a break. There is plenty of oil drilling, and the lack of drilling on some protected lands is inconsequential. There's not much oil in ANWR. Even if there WAS enough oil to make a difference in price, it would only delay the price increases slightly. It's a limited resource, and usage is only going up. The sooner we come to terms, like we are doing now, the better off we'll be in the future.
Drilling oil doesn't mean you permanently increase production forever, just that you use it sooner rather than later.

I map oil leases for Anadarko

Back