• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE

Thanks

Done, but not complete...
Just finished putting in the 4º shims, putting the pinion at 12º and the DS still at 16º.
Do they make larger angle shims, or am I good at 4º difference.

I am going to replace the tranny mount next, which could increase the difference more.

stay tuned till the wee hours :D

Looks like I may need a 6º because the DS angle increase another degree (i think, i cant read the print anymore tonight) after replacing the tranny mount.

I'm done for the night :dunno:

So my 4º Shims are not enough and I get a pretty good vibe at 55mph.
So I went to 4wheelparts to get some 6º shims, and he was telling me that I may need new center pins.

Q: When installing the shims, does the bottom of the centerpin need to go through the shim and sit in the spring plate on the axle?

Q: When installing the shims, does the bottom of the centerpin need to go through the shim and sit in the spring plate on the axle?

Yes you should run the center pins threw the shims, just go to a hardware store and get some "grade 8" 3/8 fine thread bolts and grind the head round to fit in the spring perch. A lot cheaper than buying some unknown spring centering pins..

So the Shim is bolted to the spring pack?
The 4º shim fit over the center pin on the spring pack.

Yes Brendan the shims do get mounted to the spring packs, and yeah you should change the center pins, cause the old ones will most likly be too short. FYI have a couple of C clamps and a Drift Pin ready for when you take apart your leafs. Also once you get the shims in look at your lower shock mounts, and see how much of a bind they are in now. I ended up bending a set of shocks, and had to reposition the lower mounts.

Yes Brendan the shims do get mounted to the spring packs, and yeah you should change the center pins, cause the old ones will most likly be too short. FYI have a couple of C clamps and a Drift Pin ready for when you take apart your leafs. Also once you get the shims in look at your lower shock mounts, and see how much of a bind they are in now. I ended up bending a set of shocks, and had to reposition the lower mounts.

I picked up a set of shims from 4wheelparts, the center hole is 5/8" compared to the 1/2" of the end of the 3/8" center pin. Mypins are plently long enough as they have been replaced in the past and never cut down. I do have some RE center pins that come with a spacer to make the end longer so it will slide through the shim to sit on the spring perch.

Back