• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and Frnt DS

MudSling'n

NAXJA Forum User
I am purchasing a RE 3.5" lift for my '00. I know I will need a SYE. From what I read I can use a front DS instead of buying a new CV shaft.

I'm not a mechanic, but I have someone who is and will be helping through the project. When I get the SYE kit... Is there any installation differences as opposed to the Custom built shafts?

I ran the normal ds on my '98 for 20-30k miles plus with only a 1" drop on the cross member. It did some serious trails too with no vibration and no problem. The guys at the shop suggested installing the lift then seeing if there was vibration. When I went to 33s is when the sye & Tom Woods driveshaft got installed.
hth, Doug

not trying to jack your post put with my 8.8 and a sye kit on a 6.5" lift can i run a front driveshaft

You would need to measure the length and the u-joint size.

with 3.5 inches of life a front shaft will be about perfect. i ran one up to about 5.5 inches of lift with no problems. theres a lot of different lengths of driveshafts though, with one from an AW4 being the longest i believe.

there will be no difference in installing a front driveshaft, and a custom one. find a few write ups on doing a SYE, and itll be no sweat.

You can only use a front shaft if you have BOTH a auto AND a D44 or a 8.25 rear axle. Not with a D35 or a manual trans. The front shaft also needs to be from another auto.

Worked great for me with a BDS 4.5" lift, AW4, C 8.25. I went to pick and pull and found a front shaft in a 4.0/AW4 equipped Cherokee. Got lucky, the shaft looks to have been recently gone through, and had nice new spicer u-joints. Paid $23 for it. It's been in there for over a year with zero issues, could be a touch longer, but it's fine.

Doug

dscn3302.jpg

I did this when I first got a sye, and I just paid to have the shaft lengthened, still cheaper than a tom woods, but the front driveshafts are only so long.

Everything I've researched says an auto front DS will work with a D35.

It will not be the CORRECT length. A D35 has a 1" shorter pinion length than a D44 or a 8.25. So you WILL be too short to use it correctly

If you run a stock shaft fully extended (even a ZJ one) you'll have very little engagement on what is already a very weak slip joint, and you -will- have problems, whether or not you realize it. It -WILL- vibe and get harmonics, which -WILL- cause problems for the pinion bearing and output bearing on your t-case.

If you can't pony up the $300 for a top shelf drive shaft (tom woods, JE Reel) find a little ghetto driveline shop and talk to them. There is a shop local here where you can get a CV driveshaft made up for $100-$150, but you've gotta speak spanish. ;)

i run a front shaft and had it lengthened 1" for 90$ on my 3.5" lift on my xj, it works great after about 2000 miles so far. i grease it up every so often. works for now...

Back