• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE, 231, installs

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK... I have ~3.5" on my 98XJ and the t-case drop to get rid of vibrations.... unfortunately I have dropped my XJ onto the crossmember as I slid of a rock (OUCH... didn't see it til I got home) so now my 1" drop is only about 1/2" (turns out that's all I probably needed LOL). In any case, what I am thinking about now is that if I am to get a new crossmember... I might as well get a heavy duty one and maybe as flat as I can get it... this leads me to the following question:

How hard is it to do the regular SYE install (no hack and tap) with the t-case bolted up?

Thats the only way to do it. Removing it is soooo much extra work. Granted if you don't have the jeep on a lift, your neck might get a little stiff, but oh well. If you don't screw up anything, it should take no longer then 4 hours, and that is working really slowly and carefully. I wish my pics would post, I have some great ones from my install.

Its not bad to do but i prefer taking them out and spend time cleaning it to see if anything else may be bad. Your best friend if you pull it is a 9/16 ratcheting box end wrench.

I think it took longer to clean everything than it did to install.The only hard part (which isnt hard) is to press in the needle bearings.I just used my vise!

SYE Install

I just did the Tom Woods with an Advance Adapters slip the yoke on my 99 and it took about two hours, in the vehicle. Really easy to do. Did have a mechanoic friend helping me but after seeing what is involved could have been done easily, especially with the air tools.
Did not have any needle bearings to press in as all was pretty well assembled and ready to rock.

Joe

I don't understand, in order to do the SYE, you need the new shorter beefier shaft. You can't use the stock one, that would be like doing a hack n' tap with just a new tail housing. I used Tom Woods AA kit, and it came with new shaft, tail housing, and HD driveshaft. It was like $475 I think and I didn't have to send him my old core mainshaft. I second the 9/16 ratcheting box end wrench. it is worth it to get one

OK... some people get the SYE, install it.. then measure then get shaft (in meantime they are in 2wd front or not using the XJ)

Some order everything at the same time.... My issue is going to be that I need to remove the t-case drop and that wil screw up my measurements... I just wonder by how much...

Kejtar

I did my SYE, then ordered my shaft, however I put in my 9" at the same time so there were all new numbers.

Leave the case in, buy yourself a GOOD set of duck bill snap ring pliers, you'll be glad you did.

It's easy, I was all uptight before I did mine and now I could do it with one hand, well, not really but it sounded good

I originaaly put my JB kit on when I was at 3",two years later Im at 6" with the same driveshaft.That change in transfer case drop is basically insignificant!

DS Lenght

Kej,

I have a '99 with the 8.25" and it measured at 36". This was from the front of the rubber boot on the slip joint to the center of the rear u joint. I ordered everything at once and it fit, they tell you exactly what needs to be done for the measurements before ordring on the phone. I found the folks at Tom Woods very knowledgable and helpful.

Joe

cool... I know that Tom Woods is very good on both the products and support... :) ok... now I gotta find a bank to knock off :) :) and then SYE's for everyone LOL

Kejtar

Back