• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super Gross (polluter) Smog

Want to know the easiest way to pass??

MOVE!!!! Find a real place to live where you don't have to worry about all that BS. Plus you get away from a lot of bad things that go with along with that many people.

Re: Re: Super Gross (polluter) Smog

Want to know the easiest way to pass??

MOVE!!!! Find a real place to live where you don't have to worry about all that BS. Plus you get away from a lot of bad things that go with along with that many people.

Man, if my wife and i's roots werent so deep here I'd be gone in a flash!

Re: Re: Super Gross (polluter) Smog

You need to get into closed loop. OPen look doesn't pay attention to things like the O2 sensor. It would probably be best to start by carefully looking at all wiring. When mine wouldn't hit closed loop it was a short in the O2 heater circuit, perhaps start there.

Scanner is reading from the new 02 sensor. In the morning it read 02 learning mode. I drove it all day and then it read good.
If i wiggle the c101 the idle fluctuates a bit. Fingers crossed... I'm going to retest this heep this week.

Cleaned out the C101 connector. It was like a tar pit! Opened up the connector right next to it and noticed one of the pins was a bit melted in the connector. I think (hope) it was just a bad connection causing it to get hot. I bypassed the connector for that wire. Cleaned up some crimps on the O2 sensor wire.

Ran the scanner through its test cycle... and it passed. Received signal from knock sensor and good signal from O2. also went into closed loop... First time the scanner showed that. I figured it was a fluke and ran the test again... and it passed again. I'm going to drive this tank of gas out to get rid of the sea foam and take her back to the smog station. I don't like to get my hopes up...

Last edited:
Didn't realize you had a C101, yes that needs cleaning! I'd also clean the bulkhead connector beneath it (back side of fuse box, just like the C101 it's opened up by taking out the 1/4" bolt in the center). Clean it well then fill it with dielectric grease, make sure to disconnect the battery first though since there are constantly hot circuits in there.

avesypyt.jpg

Well... Here goes nothing... Fingers crossed!

Here is everything I did.
Fixed airbox blend door that was sucking air straight off the exhaust manifold.
Replace Bauch o2 sensor with ATK.
New Knock and water temp sensors.
Seafoam through intake and in fuel.
Clean C101 connector and redo O2 wiring crimps.

Jeep does not seem to run any different. Exhaust no longer smells.

Do you get free retest? If you do try putting back in your old o2 sensor, i did this to the wife's jeep at my friends smog place to see what changes it would have.Found out the new one was bad out of the box.

Do you get free retest? If you do try putting back in your old o2 sensor, i did this to the wife's jeep at my friends smog place to see what changes it would have.Found out the new one was bad out of the box.

Retests are $40 a pop. I can see the live readout from the O2 sensor on the scanner. I can see the voltage oscillating and it switching from rich to lean. the voltage swings from 1.somthing to 5.something IIRC. Seems to be right. I can swap the old O2 sensor back in and see how it behaves on the scanner.

if it was dead cold, that could be a big enough issue to fail like that.
you'd think the smog place would run it long enough to be fully hot and ready to go before testing it...?

if it was dead cold, that could be a big enough issue to fail like that.
you'd think the smog place would run it long enough to be fully hot and ready to go before testing it...?

I Don't think it was dead cold. It's around 60 here, so it might have cooled to about 120 to 150ish. My heep warms up pretty fast... I'm probably reaching and may be looking for somebody to blame. 8>(

Anyone know if a slight leak on the Intake Manifold line that sends vacuum to the valve cover will cause a Renix to run rich? Found a leak, but not sure if it will make any difference in a smog check.

Adjusted Throttle Position Sensor.
Cleaned Manifold Air Temp Sensor.
Swapped back in my old O2 sensor.
Not sure if I had a leak on the intake manifold vacuum tube to valve cover, But I fixed that
May also have fixed a leak on the exhaust egr tube bung. I couldn't tell if it was leaking, but IF it was, it's not now!

And Finally... PASS!!!
uryvy4a8.jpg

Last edited:
Back