• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stopping distance vs tire diameter

spacomponents

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning a 'build' of an XJ, RE or other 3.5", 7100's, bigger tires.

I want a daily driver, with good stopping power so I don't leave too many Escalades with " WARN " stamped in their tailgate.

How conservative should I get on tire diameter to not ruin (too much) stopping distance. Would like to run 31's.

Experts, yr advice is appreciated!

I ran 33's as a daily driver for over a year, about 80-100 miles/day.

With a rear disc brake conversion and some tweaking to the proportioning valve, I was able to do better than the stock braking requirements for state inspection. I never found myself wanting more braking power.

There are plenty of braking upgrades out there, don't let that be the deciding factor in your buildup.

Go with higher performance breaks rotars, pads, calipers and everything and you should be better.

What year jeep is it? If its' a pre 96, you can put a later model or WJ power booster into it, and that will DRASTICALLY improve braking. Before I put WJ brakes on the front of my jeep, with just a WJ booster and stock d30 brakes/d44 drums, I could lock up all 4 35's if I felt the need or desire.

-C

Actually, the 95s also got the bigger double chamber vacuum booster.

Hrm. Could be, I've replaced them on 94's and not had to on 96's, I figured it changed with the late 96 model same as the 8.25.

I'd agree. I'll go so far as to call ABS dangerous in off-road situations, and the ABS equipped late model XJ's all come with a dana 35, where the non ABS late models have the Chrysler 8.25 (which is a pretty strong rear axle).

Rear discs from a ZJ, Crown Victoria, or Ford Explorer seem to be the common ones, and as far as stopping power seem to be pretty equal. The ZJ/Explorer ones are a little better than the crown vic ones, as one of the crown vic calipers mounts upside down and has to be removed to be bled.. but other than that, all are about the same.

-C

What size rim are you running with the 31s? Ones you go bigger then 15 all sorts of stuff open up. But the bang-per-buck is with the ZJ/(yak) ford stuff.

Back