• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still not running right

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
my 97 cherokee is stumbling when it gets into second gear when you pull out. if you goose the throttle, it quits, but after you drive for a while then shut it off, it does it again. i've replaced the tps and the evap canister purge solenoid and it still does it. I haven't messed with the fuel strainer and there's no fuel filter to change. i need help because this is getting expensive.

I had a Grand Cherokee doing the same thing. I changed the crank sensor and it went away. Just a sugestion. Those type of promblems can be a pain in the butt sometimes. Good luck.

Yes it will affect gas mileage. The sensor I think was around 45$. You might check it after you get it out to make sure the wires are not melted or broke. Also check to make sure the end of the sensor is clear of debris.

Check the fuel pressure. There is a schraeder valve on the fuel line. Search fuel pressure. It has to have the proper pressure and volume. To check the volume, remove the center piece from the valve. Its just like a tire valve. Get the specs. If it does not have the right fuel pressure it will never run right. If it has low volume it will more likely show up under heavy acceleration. It could be any number of things but you need to know if the fuel pressure is right before buying any parts.

moparjim1987 said:
my 97 cherokee is stumbling when it gets into second gear when you pull out. if you goose the throttle, it quits, but after you drive for a while then shut it off, it does it again. i've replaced the tps and the evap canister purge solenoid and it still does it. I haven't messed with the fuel strainer and there's no fuel filter to change. i need help because this is getting expensive.
not tryin' to be an ass but sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to let the Dealer pick your pockets first and at least get it diagnosed correctly
If it's something I won't tackle I've found that 99% of the time they get it right and fix it to my satisfaction
my 02

Last edited:
well, i work at a garage in indiana, PA and we have a snap-on MODIS diagnostic comuter that has an actual real time data screen that shows you all the engine parameters while its running so i'll have to check that out.

Back