• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter engages in run position

rockinw

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 XJ's starter now engages in the run postion. It will start in the start postion but when you bring the key back to the run postion the starter is still engaged. When I turn the key on the starter engages. Does not sound like a key problem but perhaps a switch problem?

Two possibilities come to mind, first is a stuck relay and second is the key lock itself. Relay is quick to change [at least on my 98 it is] and pop in a new one. Could also be a wire in column. I'd do the relay first and key switch second, if it is the key switch you gotta consider its pretty old for an original.

Ignition switch is easy too because it’s located under the dash, not in the steering column

A new switch costs about $14.00..
NAPA P/N KS6622SB

Last edited:
Question: How do you know the starter is still engaged in the run position. Do you hear a loud whine/roar when it is running?
Question: If you hit the crank position and then back to the run position before it actually starts, is it still trying to crank?

I'm not clear on exactly what is happening. You say it cranks in the start position but is still engaged in the run position. Failure to disengage is normally a problem with the starter itself. If you run the engine with the starter engaged you can expect to replace a starter as a minimum. If this is the case, it is normally a bad spring in the Bendix mechanism of the starter or you have a leaky rear main seal and enough crud has accumulated in the starter to cause it not to retract.

When I turn the key on the starter engages
I read this in his OP to mean it sorta starts it's self as soon as you turn the key on.
Also most of the time if the bendix sticks it will just stall the starter out and will not crank.
Also the start relay stuck would run the starter untill you disconnected the battery.

Sounds like a corssed wire or broken ignition slider. If it's auto, then moving out of park should disengage the starter (except neutral)

As soon as I turn the key to the run postion the starter engages and stays engaged. As soon as I urn the key off the starter disengages and the motor turns off.

Sure sounds like a bad ignition switch on the lower column.

Ok now I have done it. I have replaced the key and bought a new switch and have it all apart. Now I was not paying attention and can not figure how to reinstall the switch. I see the rod coming down the steering column but don't understand how it hooks into the switch. There is a small hole on the side that looks like it should go into but the rod is just not bent that way. Been looking for some pics but cannot find any.

rockinw said:
Ok now I have done it. I have replaced the key and bought a new switch and have it all apart. Now I was not paying attention and can not figure how to reinstall the switch. I see the rod coming down the steering column but don't understand how it hooks into the switch. There is a small hole on the side that looks like it should go into but the rod is just not bent that way. Been looking for some pics but cannot find any.
Here's my instruction, click for larger view.

Langer1, Thanxs for the instructions. Step four is where I screwed up. Step 8 is what I am trying to do. My actuator rod bends straight up and does not line up with the slider hole. If it would rotate 90* to the right it would be perfect. New and old switchs are the same. It does not feel like the rod wants to rotate and I did not want to force it. I just do not get it.

It kinda hooks into the hole, you do have the correct switch?

There both somewhat the same but backwards, theres one for tilt and one for non-tilt.

Yea like I said the new switch looks just like the old one. I did not know if there was another piece that might have fallen out of the switch that might have hooked up to the rod. I am just having a brain fart.

Well the light bulb finally turned on. Got it done, new switch and key but same problem. Going after the relay next and then the starter I just replaced about 3 months ago.

do you have an alarm/remote start combo on your xj? I am having the same problem and I beleive it could ber caused by the alarm
when the alarm is disconnected the ignition works normally with no problems, but when the alarm sensors are connected the starter will engage in run setting as you describe. I have not figured out how to fix this problem, but I may lead you to another area to llook at in the future

INIIWIN said:
oops '05 hah
Not an issue, thats the value of archives in active search. I've been using the 'UserCP' to keep up on stuff I might miss. What was pertinent 4 or more years ago is still the same today.

Back