• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starboard M builds a Cafe Racer

Currently trying to decide what to do for a seat and tail section. Tomorrow Ill be taking the stock seat off, moving the battery to the tail, moving all the electrical up and out of the way, and trying my hand at fiberglassing.

Should be an interesting day.

Side shot of what it currently looks like
010.jpg

And them many ideas I have
025aa.jpg

025bb.jpg

025cc.jpg

025ee.jpg

025yyy.jpg

025zzz.jpg

Have you ever seen so many pictures of the same thing?

Also, headlight, and gauges are off for a quick coat of flat black, and Im thinking they might eventually stay off. Use a bike speedo, forgo the tach (doesnt work anyway), and get a small set of driving lights to replace the stock monster headlight.

Is it possible to make a streetfighter/cafe a '70s motorcycle?

Option #1, and I actually kind of like your Battleship Grey paint. I'd stick with it until you get more or less done and then decide.

Worked on the bike a bit today. Minus the heat, I think I got a lot done and had a bit of fun.

Stripped the stock padding and cover off the stock seat pan. There was ~1 lbs of rust nuggets hanging out between the foam and the pan. Put the pan on to see if I could use it, and realized it was way to big and bulky.
005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

010-1.jpg

Ive been wondering how I was going to mount a seat to the bike, and had a stoke of genius while looking at it today. Use the stock mount hooks!
Step one. Cut out cardboard.
011.jpg

Place over stock hook
012.jpg

Slide into place
013.jpg

Where the battery will eventually go. Im worried about the rear tire hitting the seat pan, so Im going to take the shocks off and cycle the rear to see how it works.
015.jpg

Wanted to get rid of the stock electrical mount which was hidden behind the side covers. People either make an electrical tray, or tuck them up into the seat. I made a tray out of some aluminum.
Mock up with cardboard
016.jpg

Side view. Can barely see it from the side!
021.jpg

Sides are bent up to limit what you can see from the side, and an attempt to protect the electrical from splash from the rear tire. Back is bent up for the same reason.
023.jpg

Tomorrow Im going to be shaping the stock foam into something I can work with. Also going to be remounting the front headlight, finishing the electrical tray and odds and ends.

it will look a hell of a lot better cleaned up like that. Gonna move the rear res. to a more hidden spot as well?

Drew up a quick sketch of what the seat pan will look like. Measurements are guesstimations, so the proportions are off, but you get the general idea.
Seat.jpg

Holes are dimpled. Far side you can see my seat catch "catches" that reuse the stock mounts. The "handle" is the structure for the tail fiberglass, as well as the opening for the battery to slide into place.

Seat will be held on with Velcro, so you can pull it off if you need to get to the battery.

Sketch Up was not co operating with me (user error Im sure), so its not a full structure, but the shape Im kind of going for. Rough, and not exact, but again, just getting an idea.
Seat2.jpg

Found my best inspiration of what I want to do. Its a GS850. With a GSX front end. Drooooooooooool.
57163.jpg

Tomorrow Ill see how I can get the battery on the swing arm, and figure out what else I think I should change. Then not actually work on it, and "web ride." Currently doing some research into the GSX front end as well, since I was already looking at a front end swap and would love to have a bigger tire, bigger brakes, and massive shocks.

I'm just not a big fan of the bannana seat, that bike looks cool but I think it would look better with something at the back of the seat.

Today was a mix of dodging the rain, and pondering. Took the front forks off to remove a lot of chrome metal, and really dont want to put a headlight back on.

I was toying with the idea of either using two small running lights from Vatozone, or maybe even a single Hella 500. Only issue is that they are on opposite sides of the light output spectrum, with the driving lights producing minimal light, and the Hella producing too much. The stock light is just soooo big.

Also decided that Im not going to be running gauges. I need to find a way to mount a small LED holder for my warning lights, and go buy a small bicycle speedo so I know how fast Im going.

Tomorrow Im going over to Kaczman's house to make my seat pan, then hopefully 'glass it. Monday Ill see if I can shape the seat how I want it, and then maybe cover it.

The seat will have a "two step" on it. Meaning the part I sit on will be one level, while the back is a bit higher. Similar to the stock seat, but instead of a 6" height difference it will be ~1/2".

A gixxer front end swap shouldnt be too hard as long as the bearings used with your triples and forks are the same as the inverted triples and forks. you would get a lot better suspension and brakes. plus look way cool :thumbup:

If you run an aftermarket light, you could keep with the darker theme and tint the lense to reduce the overall light output and give you a little more of a slick look. Although the 500FF lights are still pretty big. what about an Acerbis light or something similar?

are you going to re mount your ignition somewhere else as well if you remove the guages? (the ignition is on triple ya?) i think they look good mounted just below the subframe tucked under the seat..

if you want to do a front end swap check out the stunt ride sites like stuntride.com for people parting their bikes....

A gixxer front end swap shouldnt be too hard as long as the bearings used with your triples and forks are the same as the inverted triples and forks. you would get a lot better suspension and brakes. plus look way cool :thumbup:

If you run an aftermarket light, you could keep with the darker theme and tint the lense to reduce the overall light output and give you a little more of a slick look. Although the 500FF lights are still pretty big. what about an Acerbis light or something similar?

are you going to re mount your ignition somewhere else as well if you remove the guages? (the ignition is on triple ya?) i think they look good mounted just below the subframe tucked under the seat..

if you want to do a front end swap check out the stunt ride sites like stuntride.com for people parting their bikes....
Im not totally sure on how the GSX stuff will work. My bike is an older version, and they changed the bearing type at some point. Apparently I can buy new bearings that will convert it, so I think it will work. Main issue is money and the ability. Custom fab stuff is daunting when your working in an apartment complex parking lot.

Tinting the 500s is an awesome idea. Didnt even occur that you could do that. I see idiots all the time who tint their tail lights and reduce their light output by 90% which makes them impossible to see, so reducing the output of a front light would make sense.
Ill shoot an email to Hella and see what they say about running one on a bike. Sees like a bit of a electrical draw, but I guess it would be about the same as the stock light?

Ive come across a couple of aftermarket lights, but paying $200 for headlights seems a bit ridiculous. I was looking at the Aztec 8s, and the similar knock offs.

Ignition is staying on the tripples for now. I like the ability to lock the forks one way or another. It would take you all of 3 seconds to remove it with an allen wrench, but if you really want the bike you do the "two guys throw it on a mattress and put it in the back of a pickup" type of thing. Mainly keeping the honest people honest. Its one more thing on the tripples, but its not all that obvious, so it will stay for now.

cool cool. ya the biggest thing with the hellas would be no cut off, so just block the lower portion of the lense, that would create an upper cut off.

as far as the gsxr stuff, most times you can find a complete front end ( forks, triples, clipons, brakes, wheel, controls) for about 600 on those stunt sites.

the bar locks are REALLY easy to break. a quick kick to the bars and they are done, and your bike rolls away. But I know what you mean about keeping people honest

Look into Dominator headlights, they have a couple double and single lamp options. They're H4 and hook up usually just plug and play! I think I only paid about $150 total for my set of 4" doubles with Silverstar Ultra bulbs. :)

Look into Dominator headlights, they have a couple double and single lamp options. They're H4 and hook up usually just plug and play! I think I only paid about $150 total for my set of 4" doubles with Silverstar Ultra bulbs. :)
I actually found those when I was looking around. Still, paying $150 for headlights seems dumb to me. I will most likely half ass it for now, and end up paying more in the end. :rolleyes:

Im still really considering the Hella option, but I decided to stick with the stock stuff for now.

Thanks to Kaczman I got my seat pan dimpled a couple weeks ago. Turned out awesome
001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Flat blacked the headlight. Still need to rewire the turn signals which is why the wiring is still hanging out.
006-2.jpg

And purchased some Avon Roadriders in the 100/90-19 and 130/70-17 varieties. Got the front wheel painted black, and the tire mounted.
609ff9dd.jpg

Rear wheel is on my deck currently getting painted. Hopefully tomorrow Ill get the new tire mounted and back on the bike. Have brake line parts coming in the mail, which will be installed this weekend. Also have a part to get my tach fixed, and a carb sync tool coming this weekend as well. Then I think it will be rideable?

I think heat wrapping the exhaust would keep the look going. Blacking out the light helped tone it down a lil bit.

That is absolutely horrid looking Mike :puke:

progress on yours is looking good though man, but shouldn't the dimple die holes be pointing away from your bum?

Back