• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Southeast Fall Flog Alternate Location Poll

Alternate Location

• Gulches ORV Park

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Uwharrie National Forest

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
I saw a small amount of interest from people in the most southern parts of our massive chapter about having another East/West Fall flog. In 2009 we had 2 flogs, one for the normal crowd that wants to stay up North and one for the crowd that can't swing 2 long road trips to the fartherest edges of our chapter in one year (Like me).

Since Gulches or Uwharrie never make the cut when suggested I figured I'd start a seperate pole to include those places for an alternative location.

Same dates, Nov 7-9. Different location.

Who's interested?

www.gulchesorvpark.com

$25 per day, $10 per rider
Campsites are available. I'll post prices shortly.

Uwharrie is $5 per day and camping on the trail is free.
Electric sites are available. I'll post prices shortly.

I voted Uwharrie as it would be much easier on my budget at the time.

Why no Durhamtown Tellico option? I mean I'd be up for another trip to Gulches, but Uwharrie is a bit too far for my budget this year, so DT is another viable option I think would be fair to toss out there.

Last edited:
I voted Gulches for the same reason. ;)

But I also want to see that Green Jeep of yours on some of these trails at Gulches.

2.5 hours is more than I want to drive it on the road in its current condition lol.

Why no Durhamtown Tellico option? I mean I'd be up for another trip to Gulches, but Uwharrie is a bit too far for my budget this year, so DT is another viable option I think would be fair to toss out there.

I didn't see that mentioned in the other thread but that could work too, I suppose.

Found out this morning that the tranmission in my truck is trash again so anything other than Gulches isn't an option for me. So, oh well.

It was worth a shot.

Carry on.

Dang that sucks. I've chased a transmission issue all year so I know how you feel.

As for DT, it may suck but we won't know till we go and see for ourselves. Gulches & DT are roughly the same travel times for me, so it's a wash there; DT looks like it's $5 cheaper to ride, so that's a plus. Gulches is a cool spot, but after we go again next weekend, if the flog were there that would be three trips there in just a matter of a few months for me. Plus you guys wanna do all the hardest stuff there, and that's great. I love watching and participating when I can, but I've always had a lot more fun riding with a moderate trail group (especially the older I get lol)

I love Gulches. Although like Mike said, after next weekend i'd like a change of scenery (coming from someone who went to chocco 4 times in a 2 month span lol). I'd really like to head to Golden mountain again or ride anywhere assuming I can get off work.

Yeah, don't get me wrong; I like Gulches and supporting the park is great, and if we decide to go there again I'll most likely go, it's just like Will said....a change of scenery would be cool. It doesn't have to be the most treacherous obstacle in the park for me; I'm just as happy watching or riding on other trails there that I've yet to ride on.

When I suggested Gulches for the Flog I wasn't thinking about the majority of people in the area being there in 2 weeks. I was thinking of it as a seperate group of people.

But yeah, if I could go anywhere I'd like to check out GMP.

If you want to do Golden Mountain, assuming the "western" Flog is not in north central Alabama, why not just all come to the "western" flog and not split up.

Sparta (Golden Mountain) and Oliver Springs (Windrock) are only about 90 minutes apart. There wouldn't be any reason to run two separate flogs 75 miles apart from each other.

I didn't mean go to GMP for the flog. I meant in general.

But yeah, I agree.

Perhaps one day I'll be in a situation where I can drive the far corners of the Chapter to go wheeling a couple times a year. Hopefully.

Who would be up for and or available for a rid to Durham town Tellico in November? Can a mod change a poll?

I'd love to check it out but I'll have to wait until we get closer to that time so I can see what our money situation is looking like. Hopefully all of our big hits to the bank account are over for the foreseeable future. Hopefully. Did I say hopefully?

The only reason I mentioned it before was just to see if there was any real interest at all in the place other than just a couple of us. Opinions of those that have been there vary wildly from what I've read, so I really have no idea what we'd be in for. I've watched a few videos on youtube and it looks promising. Now that there is word of the old Crawford's Campgrounds being reopened, and being close to the park it really got my interest up again. As I said way earlier this year, I'd really like to go on a "scouting trip" to see what it's all about. Unfortunately I've yet to make it up there to do so.

I'd love to check it out but I'll have to wait until we get closer to that time so I can see what our money situation is looking like. Hopefully all of our big hits to the bank account are over for the foreseeable future. Hopefully. Did I say hopefully?

The only reason I mentioned it before was just to see if there was any real interest at all in the place other than just a couple of us. Opinions of those that have been there vary wildly from what I've read, so I really have no idea what we'd be in for. I've watched a few videos on youtube and it looks promising. Now that there is word of the old Crawford's Campgrounds being reopened, and being close to the park it really got my interest up again. As I said way earlier this year, I'd really like to go on a "scouting trip" to see what it's all about. Unfortunately I've yet to make it up there to do so.

A scouting trip is what we need. I didn't put it in the original consideration because we don't know much about it. Definitely have some doubts, the original Durhamtown was designed with ATVs in mind. The website doesn't given much towards OHV either. They mention a 40 acre "crawling area". Hopefully it's a good place for us but we just can't tell until a few people take the risk and check it out.

There are a few threads on Pirate about the place. Some videos and pictures to see and also some descriptions from those that have actually been. There's also a Crawford's thread that confirms that it's reopened with new owners.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/88-southeast-regional-land-use/

As for what DT has to offer right now, only those that have been will really know. There are lots of different skill levels out there that will all enjoy different types of riding. I'm just as happy riding through the woods on a dirt road as I am riding a good moderate trail. The older I get the less of a thrill I get out of the gnarly stuff, but it's still fun to watch as well as occasionally spot for someone. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't take much to make me happy, especially if it's a spot that holds as much promise as DT does. Let's not forget, as one of the threads over there mentions, Tellico was all just logging roads at one point and only after being ridden on did it become the off road mecca it became.

With all that long-winded drivel said, I'd love to do a scouting trip (if I could ever find the time to get away for the ride up there), but it would be wise to get a few people together to get several points of view from several experience levels.

A scouting trip is what we need. I didn't put it in the original consideration because we don't know much about it. Definitely have some doubts, the original Durhamtown was designed with ATVs in mind. The website doesn't given much towards OHV either. They mention a 40 acre "crawling area". Hopefully it's a good place for us but we just can't tell until a few people take the risk and check it out.

Are you thinking of the correct park? Durhamtown in Washington has a very small area for Jeeps.

From what I understand about D-town up near Tellico is that it's primarily for Jeeps. I haven't been but have some friends who have.

Are you thinking of the correct park? Durhamtown in Washington has a very small area for Jeeps.

From what I understand about D-town up near Tellico is that it's primarily for Jeeps. I haven't been but have some friends who have.

Yes and I think what Nick is saying is that their history is with the dirt bike 4 wheeler side by side crowd.

Back