• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some thing to read

Wow how far we have come in this thread. Went from a housewife thats fed up with us rubbing off all the terrorists to fighting each other over politics. The war was poorly planned and many of my friends have fought in it because it is their duty of soliders not because they agree with how it is being handled. I am waiting on the return of one last friend right now and I hope he makes it safely back. He does one of the most dangerous jobs in Iraq searching for IED's so other soldiers don't get killed by these cowardley tactics. As for how hard it is for soldiers coming back from war my great uncle was a POW in WWII and now is under constant obvservation at our local VA hospital due to flash backs of being in a concentration camp. I proudly salute anyone that mans up and joins the service no matter what their reasons for joining. And anyone that talks poorly of them can kiss my red white and blue A$$

I been reading this every day now, i love the up and down.. Everybody reads this an comes with a different feel from it.. I'm glad we can talk about crap like this letter, an not shoot each other... It has been fun poking at you all... Hope we can get out some day an off road.. God bless.

scottmcneal said:
I mean what my sig says too.................LOL

I like to think of it more as:

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner, Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote"

ECKSJAY said:
Oh bew hew... "I'm not going to talk to them if they're not going to agree with me." :badpc:
You misunderstood, I'm not going to quit talking to you, I'll just quit trying to argue with you about religion. There's plenty more out there than just arguments about whether God's real or not. You're not likely to listen with an open mind to me saying He's real, I'm not likely to listen with an open mind to you saying He's a fairy tale. So, instead I'll just agree that Brad's "fixed" to JNickel is correct as Democrats are indeed baby-eating, immoral, heathen, gays! ;)

:D :D

SBrad001 said:
Operation

Iraqi

Liberation

I suppose someone had a real good sense of humor. :D

Seriously? I think that this administration went into office with the agenda to finish what started in 1990. I believe that Bush thought that he could do something positive in the world and leave a permanent positive mark that he would be remembered for in history. I also believe that he and his administration screwed up HORRIBLY and therefore should own up to the consequences of their actions.

Really, it boils down to responsibility. If it had been a democrat that had screwed up this badly, I would be just as f**king pissed.

But in your mind, anyone that isn't a flag touting republican is the enemy, but that isn't true.

Then you've got your pissed-off-ed-ness directed in the wrong direction. It was a Democrat who screwed up this badly. Clinton f*cked this country up more than anyone realized - we're now "reaping the benefits" of his tenure.

An administration cant be judged by the status of the country during their tenure - its in the years following that you see the true colors of what they've done. It takes YEARS for things to develop, because of how slow government/economy moves. 9/11 happened because Clinton didnt do his job, he screwed our intelligence agencies to the point where it has taken 8 years to get them back into a semi-working state. Ask me how I know. We rolled into Iraq because Clinton didnt do his job, and because his "attemps" to put the smackdown on Saddam did not work.

Nuke power not being more prevolent in this country has nothing to do with coal. It has to do with tree hugging leftests who claim it isnt safe, or "what do we do with the waste"....You're trying to tell me that Greenpeace is PRO nuclear power? Give me a break...

And no, when I talk about Clinton and his wrong-doings, it has nothing to do with Lewinsky. I call that a man married to a lesbian, who's just trying to get laid. More power to him. He's an alcoholic anyway....but that's besides the point. His administration was more corrupt than damn near any administration in history. Hell, he even tried to steal White House furniture on his way out :D

JNickel101 said:
Then you've got your pissed-off-ed-ness directed in the wrong direction. It was a Democrat who screwed up this badly. Clinton f*cked this country up more than anyone realized - we're now "reaping the benefits" of his tenure.

An administration cant be judged by the status of the country during their tenure - its in the years following that you see the true colors of what they've done. It takes YEARS for things to develop, because of how slow government/economy moves.

Clinton was the best president we had since JFK. IMHO! And I don't really care who sucked his thing!

So what you are saying is that we can thank GWBush for the huge depression we are heading into the next 2 to 4 years no matter who gets elected in November. In that case, why not vote for democrates this year, then you can let others blame the coming depresion on the new democrats in 2 years!
:party:

JNickel101 said:
Nuke power not being more prevolent in this country has nothing to do with coal. It has to do with tree hugging leftests who claim it isnt safe, or "what do we do with the waste"....You're trying to tell me that Greenpeace is PRO nuclear power? Give me a break...

So you are saying that coal, natural gas, and solar power do not compete with nuclear power, and therefore coal and natural gas producers and solar power systems manufacturers do not lobby congress to favor their industries over nuclear power?

Interesting.

Please continue!

BlackSport96 said:
You misunderstood, I'm not going to quit talking to you, I'll just quit trying to argue with you about religion. There's plenty more out there than just arguments about whether God's real or not. You're not likely to listen with an open mind to me saying He's real, I'm not likely to listen with an open mind to you saying He's a fairy tale. So, instead I'll just agree that Brad's "fixed" to JNickel is correct as Democrats are indeed baby-eating, immoral, heathen, gays! ;)

:D :D

I never argued with you about religion nor did I say 'He' was a fairy tale. :) It's true! You can even go back and read it. In short: I used a term you weren't familiar with and I was mocked because of that misunderstanding. It's OK though, you can feel like you're right if it makes you feel better.

ECKSJAY said:
I never argued with you about religion nor did I say 'He' was a fairy tale. :) It's true! You can even go back and read it. In short: I used a term you weren't familiar with and I was mocked because of that misunderstanding. It's OK though, you can feel like you're right if it makes you feel better.
Well, I do feel better thank you very much...;)
BTW though, when I said you I meant generally speaking. In French it would've been vous, the formal or group you, as in you all. Or y'all...just to piss off a french person :) I only mentioned the x thing because it has always struck me as odd. When told its an abbreviation from the greek, it made me wonder, if it's a "Christian" abbreviation, why do I only see it from non-Christians?

So you are saying that coal, natural gas, and solar power do not compete with nuclear power, and therefore coal and natural gas producers and solar power systems manufacturers do not lobby congress to favor their industries over nuclear power?

Interesting.

Please continue![/quote]

The clean coal technology isn't cost effective right now, solar power is nice for a single home owner, but again it cost an arm and a leg to have the system installed and there isn't a good way to store the excess energy. Yea they are working on new batteries to store the unused power but thats still years away.

Commando81 said:
Wow how far we have come in this thread. Went from a housewife thats fed up with us rubbing off all the terrorists to fighting each other over politics. The war was poorly planned and many of my friends have fought in it because it is their duty of soliders not because they agree with how it is being handled. I am waiting on the return of one last friend right now

and I hope he makes it safely back.

That is something we all can agree on!:yelclap:

The sooner the better!

BlackSport96 said:
When told its an abbreviation from the greek, it made me wonder, if it's a "Christian" abbreviation, why do I only see it from non-Christians?

In my experience it's because Christians tend to be ignorant of what they're taking in and are quick to judge/preach when they don't fully understand. I give 'you guys' (blanket statement ;)) such grief because you typically don't know who you're arguing with. The Catholic Parishes I grew up in were very educational. Example: The 'X' thing was first grade stuff for us. We didn't just quote/memorize scripture, we learned the history and meanings behind what we read. I finally gave up on unit bible study when I was in the Army because I was the only Catholic amongst a group of heathen 'born-agains'. The Chaplain was a little unnerved when I'd correct him and end up teaching lessons in his own home. ;) I still :laugh2: when Christians get red in the face and try to separate Catholics from themselves. :shhh:

fscrig75 said:
The clean coal technology isn't cost effective right now, solar power is nice for a single home owner, but again it cost an arm and a leg to have the system installed and there isn't a good way to store the excess energy. Yea they are working on new batteries to store the unused power but thats still years away.

There have been recent break throughs in solar cells that make that no longer true. Some of it is posted here in a natural Gas AC thread I started a few days ago.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=957214

Company in California is producing 0.99 cents / watt capital cost thin film solar cells. They just built a 1 GW per year production facility for less than 2 million dollars (the Google guys are part owners!!!). They had DOE funding three times over the last 6 years, and are now in full production. Their systems are being sold to commecial operators only, so far they (commercial operators) are selling the excess power to the local grids during peak loads when the sun is shinning, so no need for batteries yet.

While I agree clean coal plants are not being built in significant quantities (and are not cost effective, or they would get built right now in signicant quantities), I don't recall my comment or the comment I was commenting on mentioning CLEAN coal. Not really disagreeing with you, just pointing out the topic shift.

In my opinion current nuclear power plants are just as big of an environmental problem as dirty coal power plants, and history shows us that it takes forever to get nuclear power plants permitted and built. By then we could all freeze in the dark! :eek:

In 63 years we have yet to create a safe politically accetable answer to the problem of nuclear waste disposal in the USA. What makes anyone think a few more years is going to change that?

I did hear a funny story in the 1980s commentary by Paul Harvey on the radio, he asked why we could not dispose of nuclear waste by launching into the sun, or better yet make use of those huge nuclear bomb test site craters in New Mexico that were already radioactive, but then he said never mind, it would make too much sense for the government to do that, so it would never happen!

:roflmao:

Last edited:
I see screw ups from both sides. Clinton cut too many budgets for military and intel. Bush acted on bad intel, whether he knew it or not I'm not trying to argue that point, and also didn't go hard enough. I will not argue whether WMDs existed. They did, people from both sides said so, Saddam used them against the Kurds, I have no doubt he still had some around. Why else would he have made it so difficult for the inspectors to do their jobs. I think Clinton did a decent job on the domestic side of things. I also think he was a lying scoundrel and now that he's out of office, we got to see a little bit of his non-polished side. Bill instead of Slick Willie. He was a bit of an idiot in some cases during his wife's campaign. I think he also was too soft on Saddam during his tenure. You've got a guy who has been defying the peace treaty he signed ever since the day it was enacted and the best Clinton will do is launch a few cruise missiles? Yeah, cruise missiles are great, they blow stuff up with no risk to our service men, but they lack some of the "effect" of an army rolling in hot on the heels of the Marine Corps as they punch their way in to clear some land for the Army to setup. We should've invaded Iraq sooner. I don't think they were a huge threat to us as far as terrorism, most of the guys we're dealing with now would've stayed in Iraq (like they have right now) and fought amongst themselves or against Iran (who is now helping them to fight against us). However, My reason for invading and removing Saddam would be more of a matter of principle. He signed a treaty. He was to allow the UN to send inspectors to find and destroy his stash of NBC weapons under threat of further actions. He defied it and screwed around for 10+ years. No one wanted to step in and force his compliance. It made us look bad. We were being held back by the UN. Clinton being the diplomat he was (and I mean that in a good way) didn't want to step on toes so he stayed out except for a few cruise missiles. Bush said forget this diplomacy business, he's not playing from the same deck of cards as we are, lets do something about this. I'm mostly a fan of GWB, but I can admit when I see errors. Same goes for Clinton, I'm mostly an anti-Clinton guy (which stems from his extra-curriculur activities as much as anything else) but I can recognize when he done good.

ECKSJAY said:
In my experience it's because Christians tend to be ignorant of what they're taking in and are quick to judge/preach when they don't fully understand. I give 'you guys' (blanket statement ;)) such grief because you typically don't know who you're arguing with. The Catholic Parishes I grew up in were very educational. Example: The 'X' thing was first grade stuff for us. We didn't just quote/memorize scripture, we learned the history and meanings behind what we read. I finally gave up on unit bible study when I was in the Army because I was the only Catholic amongst a group of heathen 'born-agains'. The Chaplain was a little unnerved when I'd correct him and end up teaching lessons in his own home. ;) I still :laugh2: when Christians get red in the face and try to separate Catholics from themselves. :shhh:
I separate Catholics (not entirely) as a matter of huge doctrinal differences. Where they got that a man (priests) can absolve you of your sins, or that Mary (Jesus' mom) can do anything for us from Heaven, or would even need to seeing as to how we're given liberty to speak directly to the Father through Jesus, or that we go into limbo, etc. There's a lot of big differences between Protestant Christianity and Catholicism. Mormons are another group with huge differences from the "standard" Christian bible, and while I don't know as much about them, the Jehovah's Witnesses also kinda took off down a different road... :)

EDIT:p.S: Am I the only one that finds this interesting? Two completly separate discussions going on side by side in the same thread? :cheers:

BlackSport96 said:
I separate Catholics (not entirely) as a matter of huge doctrinal differences. Where they got that a man (priests) can absolve you of your sins, or that Mary (Jesus' mom) can do anything for us from Heaven, or would even need to seeing as to how we're given liberty to speak directly to the Father through Jesus, or that we go into limbo, etc. There's a lot of big differences between Protestant Christianity and Catholicism. Mormons are another group with huge differences from the "standard" Christian bible, and while I don't know as much about them, the Jehovah's Witnesses also kinda took off down a different road... :)

EDIT:p.S: Am I the only one that finds this interesting? Two completly separate discussions going on side by side in the same thread? :cheers:

The priest doesn't 'absolve' you, he helps you pray for forgiveness and helps you acknowledge that you did wrong (and suggestions on how to reconcile!). Nobody but God has the power to forgive. ;) And we're talking about the kinder, gentler New Testament God...not the vengeful Old Testament grump. :D

FWIW, the Jews tossed out 15 books from the Old Testament around 100 AD. The Catholic Bible uses those 15 books while the Protestant Bible uses the same Old Testament as the Jewish faith. :doh: Huge difference, yeah? Did you know that the Protestant and Catholic New Testaments are the same? :lecture: Same bible, just a little more of it. :wave:

The difference comes in when comparing how things have been interpreted. Ok, so I'll admit I was wrong about priests forgiving your sins, however, that still raises a question as to what are they advising you to do in repentance. If its anything other than praying for forgiveness, and turning your back on that sin, that's unbiblical. Mind you, we can't just sin and say sorry and be all good. Forgiveness only comes if you're truly repentant, and only you and God know when you are.

Ecomike said:
While I agree clean coal plants are not being built in significant quantities (and are not cost effective, or they would get built right now in signicant quantities), I don't recall my comment or the comment I was commenting on mentioning CLEAN coal. Not really disagreeing with you, just pointing out the topic shift.

Oh when you brought up coal I thought thats what you were talking about, didn't mean to change the subject.
Interesting stuff on the Thermal Solar.
Yes there have been break throughs in solar cells, they don't store energy. They create the energy. Or something like that, ha ha.
I'm a big fan of solar, the sun is always shinning in El Paso, I just wish all states would offer tax rebates for using it, and then the electric companies should give better rates for the power you sell back to them that you don't use.
I'm also a big fan of Nuclear power, but again yes there is no good solution for storage of the waste. Aren't they building some huge hole in the groung out in Nevada? Thought I saw a show about that once. I grew up real close to TMI and yea you have to worry about it, but you need electricity.

BlackSport96 said:
The difference comes in when comparing how things have been interpreted. Ok, so I'll admit I was wrong about priests forgiving your sins, however, that still raises a question as to what are they advising you to do in repentance. If its anything other than praying for forgiveness, and turning your back on that sin, that's unbiblical. Mind you, we can't just sin and say sorry and be all good. Forgiveness only comes if you're truly repentant, and only you and God know when you are.

They've got it handled. ;) The Catholics aren't suggesting 'unbiblical' means of repentance. I thought I outlined it well enough, but apparently not. :)

Back