• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SoCal Treasurer's Report

What you're saying is true BUT that's a big "hole" for the event. Again, even with fluctuating number of people I find it worrysome that the chapter had such a loss on food.

Part of the food "loss" was also that I bought food for the Holiday party that JeeperJohn & his girlfriend hosted at their house in December.

I didn't push for contributions for food, and I think only got $15 back. So maybe that's on me... but at least we had our annual Holiday party event, with burgers & hot dogs, and a potluck, and a good time was had by all who showed up. And I'm pretty sure it got a couple people more involved in the club, and involved as paying members...

Carol, thank you very much for posting the report. Would it be possible to see in the near future regarding what supplies for sale chapter has (counts) as well as breakdown in what was ordered and how much it cost ?
Thanks again.

I'll be getting with Geoff (GSequoia) shortly to have him upload the remaining legacy inventory & the SCF13 "extras" into the new SoCal Chapter Store that Geoff created. I'm hoping we can load actual cost, and selling price, into the store, so we can see what we actually have invested, but I haven't dug into the behind-the-scenes guts of the Store yet.

I've been using the legacy shirts (2+ year old event shirts, and old-style chapter apparel) to bulk out some raffle items the last couple of years or as thank-yous to volunteers (with BOD approval), and selling what I can at other events I attend (GoatFest, Toy Runs, etc.). I'm down to just a few legacy shirts (thank goodness!), and the unsold SCF13 extras.

I can provide cost for the SCF13 items, but have no idea on the legacy stuff, as they were made well before my first term as Treasurer started in Jan 2010. They were just handed over to me for me to store & to do what I could do with them.

I didn't say we need per unit cost posted but it would be good to see an entry along the lines of "event t-shirts - $X, caps for the store $Y".

Also while it's tempting to go to a quarter report, I think that a monthly post of previous months activities will help keep the accounting easier as if you do it regularly you wont have to spend as much time trying to recreate it post fact.

There have often been months with no financial activity. But since we're hoping to get new "Chapter Merchandise" up for sale in the Store soon (pint glasses, hats, hoodies, and other random schwag) that will very likely change.

I'm curious why did the chapter go negative there ? Was the food over purchased ? Too much supplies ? Did the chapter end up with enough plates for next event?

We had plenty of plates left over for SCF13, and both dinner & raffle tickets.

For SCF13 I bought napkins, spoons, condiments & food. And we still have plenty of dinner- and raffle tickets. And plates.

So come to the Holiday party this year, and you can see those plates & maybe even the tickets... if someone wants to tackle gathering some raffle prizes...

I think Kejtar can help with this.I mean he wants this place to be up front and ran like it did when he was around before.I heard about before, i for one would like to see that.

Take out the "loss" of ~$1300 given to the AAT program, we would have had an income of ~$800.

I don't see AAT donations as a "Loss"--they're an "Everybody wins" (except those who want to close down our access to forest lands).

And $863.10 of the funds listed for 2012 was actually a carryover from the Chapter's 2011's $1000 commitment (including $500 in matching National funds). And then the AAT folks didn't seem able to cohesively pick out products we could reasonably buy with the money, which was how the transaction had to be done at that point.

Since then, SBNF's AAT program has set up their non-profit SBNF Friends organization, which can accept cash donations that then must be used for AAT purposes.

We had managed to spend $136.90 of the $1,000 on supplies for them--tool racks for the AAT sheds, IIRC. The balance was $863.10 presented to them as a money order at the AAT meeting in March 2012.

So technically, $863.10 was a 2011 expense, but I do the bookkeeping on a Cash Basis, not an Accrual Basis... That means that the expense was realized in 2012, and is therefore included in 2012 expenses.

Sorry , loss was a poor choice of words. Expense would have been a better one.

Carol thanks for your answers on the questions posted and I guess it's somewhat sad that folks didn't donate for the food they ate at the Holiday party ....

Most everyone brought food and drinks to share.
are donations collected for the bounce house thats normally at the xmas party? Because the food eaen was much less than the rental would have been

Sorry , loss was a poor choice of words. Expense would have been a better one.

Carol thanks for your answers on the questions posted and I guess it's somewhat sad that folks didn't donate for the food they ate at the Holiday party ....

well where were you? where were all the other members for that matter?
its the cost of doing business. if the chapter wanted to make money or break even it should have charged or on the forum suggested a donation. If i have an event and i expect to break even or more i will charge for it. when its an event that im throwing because its a party im not going to.

maybe it wouldnt seem like such a waste to you if more people showed up. I brought beer, bought a shirt and worked the grill. other people brought beer or bought merch. there was less than a dozen people there. alot of members had reasons for not showing up. maybe if more members had been involved you wouldnt think its so sad.

well where were you? where were all the other members for that matter?
its the cost of doing business. if the chapter wanted to make money or break even it should have charged or on the forum suggested a donation. If i have an event and i expect to break even or more i will charge for it. when its an event that im throwing because inotjinrty im not going to.

maybe it wouldnt seem like such a waste to you if more people showed up. I brought beer, bought a shirt and worked the grill. other people brought beer or bought merch. there was less than a dozen people there. alot of members had reasons for not showing up. maybe if more members had been involved you wouldnt think its so sad.

I wasn't there..... And I shouldn't have been used for a meal count as I didn't RSVP. Oh... Yeah... Kudos for you bringing the beer and manning the grill... I've put my share of time (significant) working both national and chapter events. I've also sunk a fair amount of my own $ into chapter stuff as well as floated 'loans' for shirts and stuff .... With nothing expected in return....and yeah, I know how the events work, the pain and headache involved from both sides of the equation .. And as a member, or rather paid member I am asking questions...

Very Well.
Lets get to the point here
Since you held part of the position in question a while back, could you please provide us with the same kind of record for your time in charge. A simple print out or PDF will do.
I will keep a record of every question you have and every record you're asking for and will demand the same for the time you've been in charge of such. Lets see how you will do. To boot I'm real good at nitpicking too.

Taylor,

you seem to have a problem with me.

I'm posting my questions for a reason, may be too far for you to realize.
Just relax and enjoy. It will work out just fine in the end.
If you still don't think it will work out, just call me directly.
I'm used to handle big boy issues with the rest of the crowd. :roflmao::moon:

quite the contrary...

Cool, so lets get things done.
I'm almost 50 years old, so I don't have a lot of time for BS or excuses.
I ask straight questions and want straight answers.
I want this club to prosper and move on for many years to come.
I grew up in a time when backbone was a given.
Right now it seems we have a lot of spineless people mouthing off.
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I don't credit people with a loose mouth.
I learned early in life to back my game. We have a lot of people here who do not.

Very Well.
Lets get to the point here
Since you held part of the position in question a while back, could you please provide us with the same kind of record for your time in charge. A simple print out or PDF will do.
I will keep a record of every question you have and every record you're asking for and will demand the same for the time you've been in charge of such. Lets see how you will do. To boot I'm real good at nitpicking too.

Not sure sure what you're after and where you're going but good luck finding your way there..... I've asked my questions of current administrations. You're asking for records from years past..... Good luck in your quest grasshopper.....

I'll be doing them quarterly for starters... Should probably finish up Q1 2013 shortly, just a lot going on right now. Cracker asked for 2012 for starters.

I hope to get a new uncluttered sticky started that is just that... where I can post the report and answer specific questions... One that isn't 8 pages long already =)

Carol, can we get 2013 (Total) and Q1 2014 numbers please?

I gave quarterly reports. I don't know if they got posted. And when I am back from organizing & participating in SoCalFest, our main annual event, I will work on first quarter 2014 , which had next to no activity.

Back