• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So, how fast have you gone?

JnJ

NAXJA Forum User
We took the vette for a ride yesterday to see some friends in another town, who happen to have a ZO6.
While there we took the vettes out to run them. Audrey made me stop after we hit 162mph. That is the fastest I've ever gone in a car. It was a blast. BTW, the ZO6 was pulling away.

vettes.jpg

Last edited:
Approx. 157mph in a Porsche 911 Carrera......racing a 300zx twin turbo....

I about shite me britches on that one......

I'll stick to wheelin thanks.....:rolleyes:

I went 65mph in four wheel drive and no rear driveshaft with a locker in the front. With vibes from hell.
DIG IT!

vettes.jpg

Looks like the Midlife Crisis Support Group was convening.

When I was in high school my dad had a really rare early 70s Stingray Corvette it was a L88 or L82 or something, anyway it had a 454 in it. If I had any idea how much that car was worth I never would have touched it. Anyway, they went out of town one weekend and I took it out and I redlined it at 165 mph on a country road. It scared the hell out of me when I tried to slow down though, I wasn't a very experienced at driving back then and it started to float on me when I hit the brakes too hard. Other than that one time I've only been over 100 a handful of times, 145 mph a few times in my old 850 R.

I got in a really bad car accident a few years back in my friend's Mustang and I don't drive like that anymore. I wasn't driving but it really made me think. We were going way too fast on a country road and a deer ran our in front of us and he lost control and we ran off the road and went air born for a minute and hit a tree at 80 mph. You never know what can happen and we're lucky to be alive. Other than a few broken bones we were okay and actually walked (or hobbled, lol) away from the crash. Unless its on a racetrack, there is no reason to be driving that fast. I took way too many chances in my younger days and now at that I've grown up a little bit I realize how stupid it is to drive that fast.

In the air, ballistic, under water over 40 knots, back when I was young and stupid, 180+ in a car on an interstate at nite. The other two were in the service...

Last weekend I was riding around with the local police dept. and we were bout 1/2 mile out of town. We sat in a school parking lot and see this car booking it in the school zone. We pull out with lights and siren on and get up to 130 and the Subaru was still pulling away. We took a 20 mph curve going 70 and went 110 through the outskirts of town. We caught him when he pulled up to a garage where a group was tinting windows. Everyone tried to cover for him, but he finally fessed up to goings 130+ and he blew a .14.
Thats my only real experience because my Jeep tops out about 65.

Faster than that, but that is still a good speed John. :)
Glenn

JnJ said:
We took the vette for a ride yesterday to see some friends in another town, who happen to have a ZO6.
While there we took the vettes out to run them. Audrey made me stop after we hit 162mph. That is the fastest I've ever gone in a car. It was a blast. BTW, the ZO6 was pulling away.

vettes.jpg

Drove my bike daily at 170 (on the autobahn), occasionally at 180+ (hard to read the guages at that speed). Porsche passed me on the right at 200+, took the air off of the faring, was airborn for a hundred feet straight ahead, maybe 10 feet sideways (split second at that speed) (in a mild right hand curve/guard rail on the left), landed on the tires (safe, sound and soiled drawers) proceded to the garage, parked that sucker and never drove it again. Figured I´d taken the luck thing, about as far as it would go. Always figured skill or common sense (what little I had), would keep me out of the guard rail. Took an idiot in a Porsche to show me a good strong sign, that maybe skill wasn´t enough. And I wasn´t gonna push the luck thing, any farther than it had already taken me. :scared:

Last edited:
GI-John said:
vettes.jpg

Looks like the Midlife Crisis Support Group was convening.
Ya, I'm 39, the owner of the ZO6 is 27, and the owner of the SSR is about 55 or so. :) We took the SSR for a spin too. Neat truck and 100 mph was easy, but for $48,000 I'd get a new vette first.

"Audrey made me stop after we hit 162mph."

Ahh, I see she's the responsible one. How fast will a Vette stop from 162?

Looking at Jes' pic remids me of one afternoon interstate commute where my MJ briefly saw 4000 rpm in 5th gear (doorless on 33" MTs) A co-worker ahead of me said his junk read 100 :dunno: It felt like riding a derailed locomotive, but had a bit of pedal left :D

My old KZ1000 would bury the 85mph speedo in 2d gear, I've no clue where it would get to. My Sportster only had a tach, and I found the top of it in hi gear a couple times...I had lower than stock final gears, so that was probably 110 or so.

Bout 140 on a bike, the XJ seems to stop round 85-90, when I was a kid off the speedo on my moms Olds (with a 454 front wheel drive).

Sarge

woody said:
"Audrey made me stop after we hit 162mph."

Ahh, I see she's the responsible one. How fast will a Vette stop from 162?
Ya, she was clutching her seatbelt and using language she doesn't use to often.
The vette drives great, including stopping. When I owned the Cobra I thought Vettes were just a little faster. Now I know it's a whole nother class of car.
BTW, on the way down there, we past a cop doing 130mph, and he didn't move. I think he was napping.
We were also running with a Lexus coupe in front with a detector, then behide us was a Audi, then a Honda ricer, we were doing 100mph when the Lexus pulled to the right lane and hit the brakes hard, I did the same and the Audi and Honda kept going. We saw the cop do a u-turn and when we got to him he had the honda pulled over. :D Four young Military looking guys, probably heading to Corpus. He must have been doing 100mph haha ricer justice.

91mph in the XJ, thanks to the speed trap on 81 south. and 171mph in my brothers Z06 Vette, and 180 in a Mers. Benz 600sl. Driving all three, really makes 65-70 seem slow. Juice

110 in XJ, 140 in Mustang LX, 145 in Mustang Cobra, 120 on BMW R1100R, my brother has been 100+ without his bike, they parted ways at over 100, staggered away with only scraches minor cuts, and bruises

Back