• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal Emissions

96XJ9705

NAXJA Forum User
I will be moving to Cali in a month or so and I was wondering what the regulations are for the area out north of Lancaster? I will be in the country, but I was wondering what the state regs are.
Thanks for the help.
Stan

My junk just passed with a melted EGR valve, and broken up cat. I personally have had great luck smogging anything with the 4.0 in it.

Must be nice - up here, they go over every-damn-thing.

Fortunately, they believe me when I tell them I converted to AWD. When I got my 88, I had to have it checked on the dyno - and the guy managed to stall it. Dammit - if you don't know how to drive a clutch, you shouldn't be working in a shop...

up where your gona be it is fairly easy to pass the regs are a bit more lienent in the boonies. In my area it untill this year was easy to pass (high and low idle tests only)now we are just like the city dwellers on regs(gota put the vehicle on a dyno for load/speed tests).

thanks for the help, I am not too worried about our car, but I wanted to make sure that the jeep would make it. So, if they do dyno the jeep, will they give me the HP and torque results? I'd love to see how close it is to spec. Thanks again for the info.

96XJ9705 said:
thanks for the help, I am not too worried about our car, but I wanted to make sure that the jeep would make it. So, if they do dyno the jeep, will they give me the HP and torque results? I'd love to see how close it is to spec. Thanks again for the info.

They will only give you info on what your jeep poops out. It takes a different kinda dyno to figure HP and torque, it would be interesting to get one of those mobile dyno out to a meet sometime, I have seen them at Glamis a few times for the rails.

i know a guy who'll pass anything for 200$ :scottm: when i used to street race a few years back i had a turbo nissan sentra on nitro, and he passed it for me no prob :attom:
nissan1.jpg

GrimmJeeper said:
i know a guy who'll pass anything for 200$ :scottm: when i used to street race a few years back i had a turbo nissan sentra on nitro, and he passed it for me no prob :attom:

Chemically speaking, there's no particular reason that a turbo, blower, or happygas shouldn't pass emissions - it's just because it's an "unauthorised modification" that it won't pass. CalEPA and CARB are real pains about this - for no good reason I've been able to uncover.

If they did the thing properly, they wouldn't have a visual check - which is nonsense - and just do the sniffer. Pass, you pass. Fail, you find out why. Don't even need to lift the hood for that...

As far as the "chassis dyno" - it's more properly called a "treadmill" - it's not done to measure power output, just to "load" the engine to get a better picture of on-road emissions. Since it's an "axle dyno" (only one end,) vehicles supplied as or converted to AWD can't be run on it, and still use the older "idle test" (which is easier - hint, hint.)

5-90 said:
Chemically speaking, there's no particular reason that a turbo, blower, or happygas shouldn't pass emissions - it's just because it's an "unauthorised modification" that it won't pass. CalEPA and CARB are real pains about this - for no good reason I've been able to uncover.

If they did the thing properly, they wouldn't have a visual check - which is nonsense - and just do the sniffer. Pass, you pass. Fail, you find out why. Don't even need to lift the hood for that...

As far as the "chassis dyno" - it's more properly called a "treadmill" - it's not done to measure power output, just to "load" the engine to get a better picture of on-road emissions. Since it's an "axle dyno" (only one end,) vehicles supplied as or converted to AWD can't be run on it, and still use the older "idle test" (which is easier - hint, hint.)

I was told that any forced air induction system will improve the MPG, but they dont care.

5-90 said:
Chemically speaking, there's no particular reason that a turbo, blower, or happygas shouldn't pass emissions

He said Nitro, not nitrous. Burning Nitro at a rate of 1.7:1 is a sure way to fail.

Then again, maybe he meant NO2?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

JohnX said:
He said Nitro, not nitrous. Burning Nitro at a rate of 1.7:1 is a sure way to fail.

Then again, maybe he meant NO2?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I know he said "nitro" - but most people do when they mean "nitrous" or NO2.:twak:

I can't see a street vehicle passing while burning nitromethane, even with the most liberal of smog techs. Nope - ain't gonna happen - might as well burn dimethyl hydrazine, or something else very exotic...

Still, the rest of my comments stand.

If you have TBI or MPI you have a good chance of passing- even with high miles. If it has a carb, leave it in Idaho.
Naw, I shouldn't say that- but most of the horror stories I've heard were with vehicles with a carburetor. Smog guys now stand to lose a bond and their license if they are caught cheating. Before the test is started the vehicle info is entered in the computer which is online with the State's main emissions records computer. The State will know how it went- pass or fail. As of a couple years ago there is now no limit to what you must spend to pass. Lancaster is still Los Angeles as far as zip codes go. I'm not sure if it matters anymore.
If you come to Lancaster try the test station on 50th Street West in Quartz Hill. He seems to be pretty fair.;)

Back