• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal desert rats

Thanks Paul, I am loving it so far. I feel like I finally got myself a tonka truck! I have a lot to learn about it though. Its a whole different world than I'm used to with gas.

The 7.3 is a great engine. With almost 2 million on the road it's got a cult following. One issue is the CPS...be sure to keep a spare CPS and a 10mm wrench in the truck since they're known to fail.

Re: Re: So Cal desert rats

The 7.3 is a great engine. With almost 2 million on the road it's got a cult following. One issue is the CPS...be sure to keep a spare CPS and a 10mm wrench in the truck since they're known to fail.

Thank you for the heads up. My friend was telling me there is one part on the whole truck that if it fails you are dead in the water. Is that the CPS?

Thank you for the heads up. My friend was telling me there is one part on the whole truck that if it fails you are dead in the water. Is that the CPS?

Yep, that's it. Do a search over on thedieselstop.com for all the info you'll ever want to know on your truck.

Thanks Paul, I am loving it so far. I feel like I finally got myself a tonka truck! I have a lot to learn about it though. Its a whole different world than I'm used to with gas.

Other than a few idiosyncrasies, they are easy to keep tip top. It has a big fuel filter, change it often. When you change the fuel filter, any air left in the fuel system will make it hard to start, and its tough on the batteries & starter. I got a small fuel can for diesel fuel, fill up the fuel filter before screwing it in place. Same with the oil, the compression numbers are so high, there is a lot of blow by. So the oil gets dirty quick, change it often. Same with the air filter, maybe an oil type air filter would be in order to save money. Empty the water separator every time you open the hood. There was an additive I put in to keep the fuel from growing, Bio-death, or something like that. Adjust the muffler bearings and your good to go! :D

Re: Re: So Cal desert rats

Other than a few idiosyncrasies, they are easy to keep tip top. It has a big fuel filter, change it often. When you change the fuel filter, any air left in the fuel system will make it hard to start, and its tough on the batteries & starter. I got a small fuel can for diesel fuel, fill up the fuel filter before screwing it in place. Same with the oil, the compression numbers are so high, there is a lot of blow by. So the oil gets dirty quick, change it often. Same with the air filter, maybe an oil type air filter would be in order to save money. Empty the water separator every time you open the hood. There was an additive I put in to keep the fuel from growing, Bio-death, or something like that. Adjust the muffler bearings and your good to go! :D

Thanks for the tips Paul! Definitely some good to know stuff! You probably just saved me a headache or two!

10-4... high detergent diesel oil... there are others... Rotella... ??

I've just heard a lot of diesel guys like Delo... better to look into it on your own so the best decision for you can be made...

Curt

Ya I dropped by the auto store and looked into some of the oils. I have also done a little Google searching and became more confused. I'm starting to think I'm just going to default and use Ford Motor craft 15w-40. I feel like the oil debate is too opinion / circumstantial based. To many factors and the wear and tear happens so slowly I believe it become ambiguous. So like I said I am leaning towards factory specs and hope that their engineers know what they are doing.

Ford Motor craft 15w-40 could get pricy if you change it a lot. But I'm sure it would work fine. I used to get it in blue gallon jugs at a truck stop on the I-10. Can't remember what type it was, something like Standard Oil.

Ford Motor craft 15w-40 could get pricy if you change it a lot. But I'm sure it would work fine. I used to get it in blue gallon jugs at a truck stop on the I-10. Can't remember what type it was, something like Standard Oil.

Why do you need to change it alot?

Why do you need to change it alot?

Diesels use compression to ignite the fuel, not a spark plug. So the compression is really high in the cylinder. Blow by past the rings, into the crank case, will dirty up the oil quick. I had over 400,000 miles when I got rid of mine, and it still ran great.

Diesels use compression to ignite the fuel, not a spark plug. So the compression is really high in the cylinder. Blow by past the rings, into the crank case, will dirty up the oil quick. I had over 400,000 miles when I got rid of mine, and it still ran great.
But diesel oil is a very high detergent oil so it keeps the inside of the engine very clean and the 7.3 holds 15 quarts of oil so it takes a long time before you will noticed any breakdown of the oil. Depending on if your towing heavy loads or not you should be able to get 5-7k out of an oil change.

Compression will also blow pieces of carbon into the oil which will not be cleaned, oil filter will get most of those but not all. Aaron's a big boy, he'll do whats right for him.

Ron-Gosling-Clapping-Reaction-Gif-At-An-Awards-Show.gif

Wow tone! gotta say I am pretty impressed you got a dash back in that thing! I thought for sure you were going to have to go crazy custom but that looks awesome! Great work!

Had to get some stuff on the jeep done today, but first I had to pick up a

Then I got the heat insulation in

Still need to put the carpet in but here is a poser

Back