• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skwerly's '78 Ramcharger 440: Slow Build

Update: http://ramchargercentral.com/projects/skwerly%27s-%2778-ramcharger-440-slow-build/msg1866812/#msg1866812

I got to a junkyard that had a '78 truck with ALL the parts I needed.
smiley.gif.pagespeed.ce.d1AeqJSrkK.gif

I scored a door, for one, and not just any door; this thing is like General Lee orange with a large Indian head on it. Oh, too cool. Now i'm calling my rig the indian. It's going to stick. You betcha.

I also scored a headlights switch (didn't need, may need later—I'm like that), a full dash gauge cluster and housing, a radiator fan shroud, two HUGE towing mirror frames, a glove compartment door and actual plastic compartment, and a whole lotta other odds and ends.

Ecology wins. They were much nicer there than at the PAP yards and they even let me have a couple items free. The donor truck was a work truck with a utility bed and it had a neat steel mountable first aid kit and the rear had cool reflectors. When I showed each of those to the lady she just waved her hand. Take 'em, she said.

Nice!

Last edited:
First, an update on the looks:

Now, my CB install:

CB install post 1/2014

So after some major deliberation on where to mount my CB (one of the smaller units would’ve been no prob, but I wanted to go with the OG great big CB, so options became limited), I decided the middle of the floor, tucked up under things, would be the best.

But then, how to mount it so that I can see/hear and it’s sturdy? I got the gears going and after a little while, voila! I was going to ace hardware. :D

Here are the beginnings of my erector set like mounts:

My thoughts were to connect the L-brackets with the straight pieces via a bolt/nut so that I could have virtually infinite mounting options and positions. I like options.

Here is the spot intended for the large, archaic CB radio:

the radio in question (and yes, that’s a $3 price tag on it--gotta love estate sales!):

My first mounting idea, before I realized it wouldn’t work. I loved the angle, but with the coax cable hooked in the CB tilted at a major angle and all sorts of problems ensued. It was back to the thinking/drawing board.

So I came up with spider mounts: :D

NOW I had literally infinite mounting positions, and although it was a lot of parts and it looks kinda funky, it’s going to work well.

Here it is mocked up:

aaaaaaaand, a couple of the final install sans wiring (it got dark, as always...):

I like the way it looks, nice job.

Haha, it is!

I bought something at a gas station and they asked me if I minded quarters for change and held up the roll. I shrugged and took 'em; never know when ten bucks’ worth of change will come in handy lol. :D

never know when ten bucks’ worth of change will come in handy lol. :D

Tipping really skanky strippers?

David Bricker / SYR

I miss my Ram Charger. When I got transferred to Pendleton from Lejeune, I had to sell it. 78 custom with 35s and 383. Awesome mud truck.

Holy crap! what kind of AC compressor does that thing have? Looks like you could run a paint gun and air up all 4 tires at the same time.

Back