• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest at Deer Valley, Aug 9-12

OK, point taken. But on a purely hypothetical line, what if it wasn't for only a year? What if (and really how far are we?) USFS decides to close all of the trails? What will you do then? When do we draw the line? I agree with you on this being a one year closure and we shouldn't lose our heads, but what if due to budget constraints they couldn't get the study done for 10 years?

Are you kidding me right now? Lets say they do get closed for 10 years to due budget. Does that mean any of us are gonna still run these trails? HELL NO!! id rather it be closed for 10 years then some idiot going on the trail and ruining it for life! We dont get to draw the line. The best we can do is band together to stop what is happening and do our best to get it re-opened.

This is the sort of thing that scares me. People who think like you. They are gonna go run this trail anyway and get it closed for good. If we show that we are responsible, it gives us a good name. If we go around gates, break through fences, and go on closed trails, it gives us a bad name which doesnt help us one bit in keeping the rest of the trails open.

A 10 year closure is a permanent closure. It will be a hiking trail by then.

The risk for it being closed even one year is that once it is closed it is much easier to keep it closed than to open it up.

The risk for it being closed even one year is that once it is closed it is much easier to keep it closed than to open it up.

Exactly. Don't be naive, if you think they only want a year closure you're wrong. What do you think will happen if they find the habitat in the meadows to be "disturbed"? We have rights too, don't forget that!

i agree. they just wanted to get their foot in the door any way possible. they are taking steps toward getting it shut down permanently.

i agree. they just wanted to get their foot in the door any way possible. they are taking steps toward getting it shut down permanently.

x2 You give an inch and they take a foot. God forbid anyone drives on a single closed road or acts out of line and all the sudden every off roader or dirt biker is the irrational extremist.

I enjoy back packing just as much as off roading and I see the damage that causes also. People don't stay on the trail whether its by foot, mountain bike or Jeep. I just wish people would have a little more respect and tread lightly in any regard.

The part the gets me the most is I try and play by the rules and be respectful. I have (like all of us), the right go enjoy the out doors any way we want. So for me, the guy who stays on the trail and packs his trash (even my shot gun shells and brass, yep pack that too), its a trust issue. By making closures I feel like they are telling the majority of the responsible off roaders to go pound sand and we cant trust you. I guess thats just the nature of all legislation, punish the law abiding citizens because a small minority ruins it for all of us. Yet the ones who ruin it don't get punish because they don't follow the old OR the NEW rules.

Good bye sweet America, welcome to the over reaching nanny state...:bawl:

Take it easy now, no one is advocating anything at this early date. Simply posing questions for discussion. You don't see a portable grinder with a cut off wheel in my heep... yet, lol.

But I have to ask... are you serious with your contention that we will get somewhere being the USFS' "friends"? How's that worked for you the last 40 years? The ONLY technique that works is litigation. Period.

We're losing this war folks, and the worst part is we don't even realize it yet.

Take it easy now, no one is advocating anything at this early date. Simply posing questions for discussion. You don't see a portable grinder with a cut off wheel in my heep... yet, lol.

But I have to ask... are you serious with your contention that we will get somewhere being the USFS' "friends"? How's that worked for you the last 40 years? The ONLY technique that works is litigation. Period.

We're losing this war folks, and the worst part is we don't even realize it yet.

Haha, sorry if I worded something that seemed aimed at your comments. I'm not advocating a cut off wheel either, nor am I advocating we bend over and take it as well.

The off road community cant be the Neville Chamberlain's of whats going on but we sure as hell don't want to fuel the fire either (heck, fuel the fire just not with actions that ruins it for all of us).I guess its just hard living in California with the Sierra Club types trumping individual rights with their endless donations, well organized followers and the "feel good" holier then thou attitude.

A 10 year closure is a permanent closure. It will be a hiking trail by then.

That is scary but a good point. We need to stand together and show we are responsible and keep vocal at the same time.

we need to raise some hell on blogs and youtube and get it in everyones face. national forest: shutting down our public access :guilty until proven innocent. these roads are part of our cultural heritage as native to california americans. they are taking away spiritual jeep grounds .
how many roads in the US have gone through meadow? i doubt many have had "sufficient" analysis conducted, this is a BS witch hunt to use as leverage to start closing trails down permanently. these roads have been open for decades and longer just like the damn freeways. i say we close down some major highways due to improper meadow analysis and watch everyone shit a brick. we need to get it in their face .
how cities where built over meadows without proper analysis?
this is like being gang raped and then being told its your fault. we need to accuse this judge of gang raping all of us, since without sufficient analysis throughout the next year, he can't prove that he didnt, so just like the trails, he should get shut down until we conduct the proper analysis to prove that it did or didn't happen.

Last edited:
I am in contact with the El Dorado County Coordination Committee, we are having a little trouble getting a couple of the Supervisors on board with use on the County commenting on the SEIS. The Committee believes letters to the Supervisor will help. I do not want to post some of this information on the internet so if you PM me I will forward the information to you if you would like to help keep our trails open.
Thank you
Ken

This truly breaks my heart.

My dad and I live to run this trail, and to see all of you guys. It's a tradition now.

Next? Slickrock, Corral Hollow, maybe the Rubicon? Where will we all go? You can bet that these closures will impact the usage of the rubicon.

I already have no trails here, It's going to be really hard to justify owning an offroad machine with no purpose.

Back