• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shoe Creek / Big Levels (GWNF; VA) - Sunday, March 6th

Re: Shoe Creek / Big Levels (GWNF; VA) - March 5th/6th?

I have a tomtom and i have a Magellen 315 so I can put in lat/long to take me right to where you will be.

Oh, OK, cool. If either one can navigate directly to the coordinates for the South entrance to Shoe Creek, just set it to go there. If that doesn't work, you can try the Perkins Mill Road address, but accuracy with addresses out there is iffy at best, so keep your eyes peeled for your turnoffs if you're using that method. I'd still strongly recommend checking whatever route your GPS is giving you against Google Earth/Maps in advance, though.

Best bet is for everyone just to meet up at the South entrance - cell coverage is spotty at best in that neck of the woods (AT&T / T-Mobile users will have next to no service, if any), and there aren't really any convenient staging areas nearby to caravan down from.

And just to summarise what, where, and when:

Shoe Creek Trail, starting from the South Trailhead.
South Trailhead GPS Coordinates: N37 47.263 W79 06.173 (most accurate location)
South Trailhead Street Address: 1009 Perkins Mill Rd., Roseland, VA 22967 (least accurate; approximately 0.5 miles East of actual location)
Sunday, March 6th, 2011
Meetup: 9.30am
Depart: 10.30am
CB Channel 4

Hope to see everyone there!

Last edited:
Just a quick confirmation that this is still planned for next Sunday.

My Jeep is ready, unless a unforeseen something or another comes up I will be there.

I also have 2 other "possibles"; a buddy of mine in his 82 Yota truck and Michelle(DazyDG) in her XJ.

Still trying to get a few more to make the 2 hour drive with me but if I have to I'll make the run alone.

Hey! Glad I remembered my login, it's been a while since I was here last!

So far I'm in. Trying to decide if I want to drive the XJ up or bring her up on the trailer... Just not looking forward to 4 hours of pavement time. Anyway for you guys that know the area, is there any where near by that I can drop off a truck and trailer?

So far I'm in. Trying to decide if I want to drive the XJ up or bring her up on the trailer... Just not looking forward to 4 hours of pavement time. Anyway for you guys that know the area, is there any where near by that I can drop off a truck and trailer?

You beat me to it Michelle:D

Unfortunately, there isn't anywhere particularly good for parking a truck & trailer. If you look here, the arrow is at the entrance to the parking lot at Crabtree Falls. Here's the deal with parking there:

- Parking is not free. It's only $3, but the Forest Service is definitely enforcing it, and I'm not sure how they'd feel about having a truck & trailer there across multiple spaces because:

- It's really busy up there at weekends right now. Parking issues due to that are obvious, but it's also a magnet for car crime.

- It's approximately 25 miles from the South trailhead, and 3.5 from the North one in the wrong direction if you decide to run Big Levels later on.

Parking at the South trailhead isn't really doable either; access to the trail is past a couple of private residences right at its entrance, and we really don't want to annoy them. Much of the same applies to Big Levels as well, if you were thinking of running that later on.

One option may be to drop the truck & trailer at White's Truck Stop (I-81, exit 205; info here) then run the XJ up to the trail. Works out to around 40 miles total.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there isn't anywhere particularly good for parking a truck & trailer. If you look here, the arrow is at the entrance to the parking lot at Crabtree Falls. Here's the deal with parking there:

- Parking is not free. It's only $3, but the Forest Service is definitely enforcing it, and I'm not sure how they'd feel about having a truck & trailer there across multiple spaces because:

- It's really busy up there at weekends right now. Parking issues due to that are obvious, but it's also a magnet for car crime.

- It's approximately 25 miles from the South trailhead, and 3.5 from the North one in the wrong direction if you decide to run Big Levels later on.

Parking at the South trailhead isn't really doable either; access to the trail is past a couple of private residences right at its entrance, and we really don't want to annoy them. Much of the same applies to Big Levels as well, if you were thinking of running that later on.

One option may be to drop the truck & trailer at White's Truck Stop (I-81, exit 205; info here) then run the XJ up to the trail. Works out to around 40 miles total.

I was thinking about that truck stop, but couldnt remember how far away the trail was from there. Doesnt sound too bad really, but if I can take care of a few things on the Jeep this week I might just drive it up.

Anyone going up Rt 29 by chance?

I was thinking about that truck stop, but couldnt remember how far away the trail was from there. Doesnt sound too bad really, but if I can take care of a few things on the Jeep this week I might just drive it up.

Anyone going up Rt 29 by chance?

Michelle, I can meet you at the truck stop and run in/out with you. I could go 29 but thats a ways out of my way. I'll mapquest it and see what the difference is in time.

Michelle, I just checked, I will be adding about 40 min to my drive if I backtrack to Lynchburg and run up 29. It would be quicker for you to go up 43 into Buchanan and hit I81.

Let me know and I will meet you some where.

Not going to be able to make it either. In between pay checks (last one got wiped out for bills)....rising gas prices aren't helping either.

Hope ya'll have fun!

it is not much, i have been working a lot on it but have never taken it off road. she is a 4.0 aw4 4wd 3 in lift 31"1150 15 tires stock axles hydroboost braking sys. i will have a box full of tools, some recovery items, short lift jack. jumper cables and welding rods. lets just hope she don't brake. anything else i might need?

it is not much, i have been working a lot on it but have never taken it off road. she is a 4.0 aw4 4wd 3 in lift 31"1150 15 tires stock axles hydroboost braking sys. i will have a box full of tools, some recovery items, short lift jack. jumper cables and welding rods. lets just hope she don't brake. anything else i might need?

I always carry a spare CPS(crank position sensor)

Looks like the wether folks are calling for heavy rain Sat night and Sunday.... Sounds like fun....

Anyway, I'm bringing the Jeep into work today to have one of the techs look at it, if what I suspect is the issue I will be out for Sunday. Jon do you have open seat just in case?

Definitely bring the MJ! They're awesome!

I wouldn't worry about taking it on either of these trails - the main trails are both doable in a stock XJ/MJ, so you should be fine. Obstacles are mostly off to the side, so you can size them up before deciding if you want to tackle them or not.

DAZYDG said:
Looks like the wether folks are calling for heavy rain Sat night and Sunday.... Sounds like fun....

That could make Big Levels anywhere from 'interesting' to 'not a good idea': apart from the off-camber slickrock in the trail (normally nothing bad, but get it wet...), there is some flash-flooding risk. Guess we may have to play that one by ear.

Back